Fixed Learn function in Cust. Pitch shifter

kavevester

Inspired
This problem is still there. Kirk Hammett got his button with modifier now I want my learn function to work :) :) :)

The learn function rarely kicks in before I edit the custom pitch block on the front panel or put focus on the pitch block in Axe edit (enters edit mode the same way as on the front panel). Please advice me on this so we can trouble shoot this once and for all. The learn function is via modifier set to extern 1 and extern 1 is mapped on the MFC-101. No problem in that.

It is really a bug cause I bought new hardware switch and tried all settings (latch/momentary etc..) but ended up with just the same. It seems as if when being in edit mode on the front panel (page two) on the shifter it works perfect and the key changes instantly but when switching Axe off and on again it dosn't work again (out of edit mode then).

Also it would help if the key shown beside the learn function in Axe edit would change when triggered/changed. Do not change when the sound of the key changes - when it works.

To try it:
1. Have a custom scale (just 2 keys interval up on every key or something identifiable)
2. Map the switch via the MFC to an external controller and use that for the modifier on the learn function.
3. Switch the Axe off and then on and select a preset where Cust. Pitch is default on.
4. Try different key and press learn and check that it shifts (you can hear the interval shifts)
When this dos not work try either to go into edit mode for the shift block or select the pitch block in Axe edit and it works flawless.

Remember not to have the Axe it in edit mode on shift block before testing. After being in edit mode once it works from there on. It's vital to test it like this other wise we end up the same way as of now.

Gear info:

Axe FX 2 Quantum 8.02
MFC-101 MK1 setup:
XS1-XS4 = momentary
Midi XS1 = #014 Tap tempo
Midi XS2 = #016 External controller 1 used for learn on/off in custom pitch shifter
Midi XS3 = #035 Vol up
Midi XS4 = #036 Vol down

Switch:
Using Boss FS-6 where both switches is in momentary mode

Hopefully you can do this exact setup. Cannot use this function at all with this problem going on for now 5 months. :-(

Pleeeeeeease help.

Last edited:
As I've said numerous times before: we cannot replicate this problem. It works fine here.

As I've said numerous times before: we cannot replicate this problem. It works fine here.
I really don't find that respons very helpfull (from FractalAudio). Don't you yourself find it strange that it works just after being in edit mode? Meaning my setup is quit simple and I wonder if you have tried it like I wrote. So in that sense you either did'nt reproduce my setup or I have one of a kind Axe Fx. But (to Axe-Master) I will do the video as good as I can but cannot show more than learn key flips on and off when pressing the switch. When it dos not work is when not in focus either on the front panel or Axe edit so there I cannot video the learn function flipping on and off. I will film what I wrote if that triggers a thought any where. Thanks AxeMaster for trying to help what for others seems crazy and stupid.

To Fractal Audio:

This is release info from 6.02 so please look at again to see if this is'nt a fair respons now this has been a problem before and still is.? Not free fantasy here.!!
Fixed Pitch block Learn function not working if focus is removed from block. Also fixed Learn function not visible in Custom Shift mode.

Last edited:
I can recreate the problem here. It's not specific to MFC use, happens w/ any MIDI or pedal port control.

After rebooting, the learn function will learn A as A, any other note as G#. The test preset doesn't need to be the one selected at power-on.

The issue disappears once the pitch block edit menu or learn modifier menu is viewed. At that point (assuming learn is off) it will display and revert to the key stored with the preset, and then learn works normally.

I can recreate the problem here. It's not specific to MFC use, happens w/ any MIDI or pedal port control.

After rebooting, the learn function will learn A as A, any other note as G#. The test preset doesn't need to be the one selected at power-on.

The issue disappears once the pitch block edit menu or learn modifier menu is viewed. At that point (assuming learn is off) it will display and revert to the key stored with the preset, and then learn works normally.

Thank you, this is the kind of feedback that we appreciate. Detailed steps on how to recreate the bug.

Well we are not all that into what details you need. I thought I explained myself good enough for you to do some investigation since it has been a problem before. But ok, - here we are and just glad somebody could make this understandable so we can move on from this after 5 months. Super :)

Thank you Bakerman

Last edited:
My old Boss GX-700 had the best "learn" function I've ever seen.

The display has two parameters with associated values shown simultaneously; one on the left side of the display and one on the right. The left parameter is the note to which you want to assign a harmony. The right parameter is the harmony note you want played when you play the note shown on the left. Not that different than the interval tables for the global custom scales in the Axe. However, the GX-700 has a great trick up its sleeve. It uses pitch detection to select both the base notes and harmony intervals.

So, you set the cursor to the left parameter and play a note. The left display shows the note (pitch detected automatically). You then move the cursor to the right parameter and play the note you want the pitch shifter to play when you play the note on the left. Pitch detection sets the value for you. Repeat for all 12 notes of the scale.

Genius in its simplicity and lightning fast to set up. I'd love this method for creating interval tables with the global custom scales on the Axe. That, combined with the Axe's learn function for the base key would be the ultimate for global custom scales. Being able to use the same interval table when switching from E to Eb tuning is fantastic.

Anybody checked if this is fixed in v9?
I'm very curious if this has been fixed since there is nothing stated in the release notes. This bug has been reported a loooong time ago now so really hoping this is fixed so I can use this feature after 6 years Axe-FX2 ownership. Sadly I cannot test this before Friday when I'm back home.

Hmm wonder why this isn't important enough to fix now it has been a bug for so long.. (not stated in Q9.00 release info) It seems as if other nitty gritty things are more hyped to do than functions that should already work....

So I am hereby kindly asking Fractal what is to become of this bug? Any time plan on this? Should I by another equipment if I want this functionality?

Last edited:
Hello all. Thanks for the feedback and continued attention to improving our products. As you noted, this bug was not addressed in the latest firmware release. This does NOT mean that Fractal Audio does not care about fixing it, just that it was not done in time for the release—a release that contained other exciting improvements and innovations.

I am not on the engineering team so I speak only from a sense of the company philosophy: If and when time permits, our team will look at this problem and offer a possible fix.

It woooooorks finally... Yeah FS you did it... Much appreciation.. The pitch block now works and a lot of inspiration is triggered going forward.

Thank's.. :):):)

Back
Top Bottom