Layla

simeon

Axe-Master
been asked to play this at a wedding in a couple of months. looking around on the web, it seems clapton may have used a silverface Champ at the time. any pointers as to a nice amp and cab combination in the axe for this? i fiddled briefly with the superchamp and one of the doubleverb cabs and it wasn't too bad....

been asked to play this at a wedding in a couple of months. looking around on the web, it seems clapton may have used a silverface Champ at the time. any pointers as to a nice amp and cab combination in the axe for this? i fiddled briefly with the superchamp and one of the doubleverb cabs and it wasn't too bad....

IIRC Layla was a blackface Vibro-Champ running into a blackface Princeton Reverb; both with the volume and treble all the way up and bass all the way down.
Perhaps try a combination of the Superchamp and the Princetone ?
Layla is one of my all time favorite tracks and albums, but I haven't tried to nail that sound with the Axe II yet, let us know how you fare.

Sending you a PM, Simeon.
Multitrack file you can use for tone matching.

To die for, even though the ending is the slightly shorter version.

I've read many times that Layla was done with a Pignose.

This is the first time I have ever heard mention of a Pignose. For years and years, I have always read Tweed Champ in interviews from Clapton and Tom Dowd.

The first Pignose prototype was made in '69. The first production unit in '73. Seems unlikely that Clapton would have used a prototype Pignose in 1970.

Last edited:

I've got a pignose and they pretty much don't play clean period :) But they sound nothing like the Layla record.

This is the first time I have ever heard mention of a Pignose. For years and years, I have always read Tweed Champ in interviews from Clapton and Tom Dowd.

The first Pignose prototype was made in '69. The first production unit in '73. Seems unlikely that Clapton would have used a prototype Pignose in 1970.

maybe he was a beta tester?

Very possible.
From WIK:

The Pignose amp, now known as the "Legendary 7-100", is a battery-powered, 5-watt portable guitar amplifier with one 5" speaker. It was invented by Richard Edlund [1] and Wayne Kimbell in 1969. The Pignose weighs five pounds and includes buttons for a guitar strap; it is considered the first portable electric guitar amplifier [2]. The 'legend' was established when the inventors gave 65 prototypes (with flexible rubber Pignose volume knobs) to some of the most famous musicians of the era, including Led Zeppelin [3], The Rolling Stones[4], The Beatles [5], The Eagles [6], and The Who [7]. Terry Kath (of Chicago), was given one which led to a partnership with the group and its management team in 1972. The first production Pignose amps debuted at the '73 NAMM Convention in Chicago.

Someone mentioned in a TGP post about an interview with Bobby Whitlock... don't know where the interview was published...

""The guy who invented the Pignose amp came in with the two prototypes and gave one to Eric and one to Duane [Allman]. They had a little rubber nose on them, and they were real quiet. My talking voice now is louder than Eric’s guitar amp was. You couldn’t even walk around out in the foyer of Criteria while they were putting overdubs on.""

Other Layla-Pignose information

I'd heard it was a Pignose back in the early 90's, from someone who knew Clapton. For 2.5 years, I lived with the cousin of Ian Anderson's (Jethro Tull) daughter. He was quite an accomplished guitar player himself, and is why I started playing. 2nd hand, but credible. I again heard of it in the late 90's, while building guitars for a now-defunct company called Stump Preacher guitars, when an old guy from Rickenbacher started working with us.

The original Layla came on the radio a couple of days ago so thinking of this thread I cranked it up.

On re-listen, the rhythm guitar part could definitely be a Pignose.

From memory I had the lead riff in my head which is not like any Pignose I've ever heard. But the rhythm is that small box raunchy crunch, just like a Pignose.

Richard

One of my all time favorite albums and ECs high point. Love of another man's woman and Duane Allman kicked his world up a notch. It all sounds great together, but I bet a lot of the guitar tones sounded mediocre at best out of context.

Back
Top Bottom