Latency in scene change

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
OK. I had a show last night. This was the first one using the AE2. This is what I noticed. When changing scenes there was a very noticeable drop in volume. I am using the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller so it is possible that it could be the problem. Any ideas?

I've noticed that switching between X and Y settings with the amp or cab block causes a latency. It don't however get the same latency when switching between other blocks X And Y settings such as reverb or delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yep, what they said above. My solution has been, if I need 2 amps, I use 2 amp blocks. Same thing with cabs. Fortunately, Cliff is a freakin genius and gave the amp blocks their own CPU, so adding a second one doesn't really affect the overall CPU load. I get zero dropout this way.

Yep, that's what is happening. I have my lead channel on the Y. I had heard that there was no latency when using scenes, and didn't realize that switching between X and Y had latency. I guess I need to reconfigure my patches. Thanks for the help guys!

If you're only increasing the amp block gain say, between rythm and lead, you can use the same amp block and assign a Scene Controller to the gain parameter. You have 2 Scene Controllers for each Scene that can be used to alter 2 parameters.

It's well documented that there's latency when switching between X and Y for the amp block, but I didn't know it affected the cab block too… never noticed that ! Is it really established ?

If you're only increasing the amp block gain say, between rythm and lead, you can use the same amp block and assign a Scene Controller to the gain parameter. You have 2 Scene Controllers for each Scene that can be used to alter 2 parameters.

Unfortunately, my lead patch increases the volume, gain, and mids to overcome the other guitarist. It also turns on the delay. So until more scene controllers are added I am stuck using dual amp models. I wish the latency could be resolved on the XY switching because I have read that using 2 amp models impacts the sound of the amps. May be mute point for playing live.

Unfortunately, my lead patch increases the volume, gain, and mids to overcome the other guitarist. It also turns on the delay. So until more scene controllers are added I am stuck using dual amp models. I wish the latency could be resolved on the XY switching because I have read that using 2 amp models impacts the sound of the amps. May be mute point for playing live.

Give the two amps blocks a go.

To my ears, it sounds great.

I bet you won't hear any difference.

Especially in live setting. The only difference, from what I understand, is oversampling is higher when using a single amp block. This can reduce any aliasing, since I do not hear any aliasing whether I use 2 or 1 amp, it is a moot point here. any one I have A/B'd 2 vs 1 amp block with, has not been able to pick which is which reliably.

Two amp blocks is probably the easiest, but if you wanted to reserve your 2nd amp block for cleans, you could still do everything you listed using one amp block and 2 Scenes. You could just add an EQ or Drive block to toggle on and off for your mid/volume boost, along with your delay. This is exactly how I currently have my lead patch set up and it works great.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my lead patch increases the volume, gain, and mids to overcome the other guitarist. It also turns on the delay. So until more scene controllers are added I am stuck using dual amp models.

You could use an expression pedal for one of those and the two scene controllers for the other two.

1 scene controller for amp gain and level (not master). Adjust Min. & Max. For each parameter independently. A filter or PEQ block after the cab for mid boost (and volume boost, if you don't want to use the scene controller for boost. )

Back
Top Bottom