Keyboard vibrato effect

fret

Experienced
Over the weekend one of the songs I was covering had a keyboard line that I needed to match on guitar (in case the keys player wasn't up to it) and as it transitioned to the verse the line rung out and faded in a wide vibrato run off a LFO.

Initially I thought oh that'll be easy as pie to do on the Axefx2. Just run an LFO on some pitch or chorus block. Which I dialed up in a few minutes but I found the amplitude of the vibrato limited to +-50 cents using the detune mode of the pitch block (or was it +-100? Can't remember). Anyway that didn't sound right... not wide enough. So I played with the chorus block in full wet mode. That sounded OK, still not wide enough but I was running out of time and decided to run with it. Slaved the depth to the extern / expression pedal and off I went.

However if you wanted to create a vibrato effect with a larger amplitude, like 3 semitones, how would you do it?

PS... since I upgraded to 15.02 I decide I needed to redo my main church patch. I was bored with AC30 tones so I decided time to try the wreck model. And it was so much win. Running newly minted patches all I had to do was adjust the bass on the amp block to taste for gig levels and off I went. Had a ball and it sounded so good all the way through the set. I was able to back off the guitar's volume a smidge and get lovely warm cleans, full volume for break up... add dirt block for leads and big chorus'... and touch sensitivity... oh wow. I could never have got away with that on the Ultra... which took months of dialing it in to get a tone I was happy with. Months!!! Now it's just a day. Yay fractal.

This year it seems I'm less focused on "the gear" and getting "the tone", and can just get on with making music.

You can use the whammy mode of the pitch block.

That does say an octave up, or down... or two octaves up. But can it really go up and down over the input note? I imagine it could go up above the input note and back down, but not centered on the input note itself. Happy to be wrong but that is my current understanding of how the whammy works. (i.e. you can't go both sides of the input note... just up OR down)

That does say an octave up, or down... or two octaves up. But can it really go up and down over the input note? I imagine it could go up above the input note and back down, but not centered on the input note itself. Happy to be wrong but that is my current understanding of how the whammy works. (i.e. you can't go both sides of the input note... just up OR down)

Yes, there are up/down modes where 50% equals zero shift. Advanced whammy mode makes it easier to get an exact maximum depth like 1 whole step if desired. Or use fixed harm. mode and control master pitch.

There are separate controls for the advanced whammy for minimum pitch and maximum. If you set it to, say, -12 and +12, then it will oscillate above and below. If you set it to 0 and +12, it will only go above and return.

i would do this -

connect an lfo to the control parameter in the whammy....set to +12 and -12 and set the max and min values for the width of pitch deviation you want.

assuming you're using a cc pedal for this....attach it to the depth of the lfo, so as you push down on the pedal, the vibrato gets wider, but remains at a constant speed (this is just like a real synth modulation wheel).

i would also attach the cc pedal to the bypass of the whammy, so when the pedal is in toe up position, the whammy is off and you won't experience any latency. you need to set the start value of the curve to about 47%, so that as soon as you move the pedal, the whammy turns on (it will engage at 51%)

Back
Top Bottom