Just got my Reactor FRs, and...

prometh

Power User
passive ones..

So far, they are not giving me the punch and energy of a guitar cab. I have the tweeters set at 12 so they're not colouring. Everything sounds flat and boring. Is there something I should look into tweaking?

Edit:
Thanks to a phone discussion with Tom, it's sounding pretty kickass. I should have it perfected in a few days.

Last edited:
I got one active cab last week and it roars. I did have to play with the output and the patches before I got that sound. It only has one 12" so is it really fair to compare to 4x12"? I am impressed for the time being. I am looking to augment the sound with the V30 4x12 cab I have and see how that goes.
Check your outputs.

Hmm that is weird... I am coming from a 4x12 cab setup and just got my passive wedge in last thurs and love it! did not have to tweak much either. Love it! im powering it with a V300

With the cab rotated 90° counter-clockwise, I had the bass port pointed away from the floor, so it wasn't giving me enough boom. See image.

I also upped the tweeter to around max to clear up the muff. Doing so with an EQ didn't sound the same to me.

I really gotta figure out a way to get these things on the floor so I can bruise the sh*t outta my face.

Last edited:
I am not surprised they sounded weird like you had them set up. The floor would be best. Speakers want a FIRM footing. Basic physics. :) The angle of that space also seems a little less than optimal (but could still be made optimally enjoyable.)

Maybe you could get a good stiff tabletop and set it on top of that dresser so you can at least have some stability. You could use 2 pieces of 3/4' ply glued together with liquid nails and cover it with a tablecloth. Home depot will cut it for you to the exact size you need for free if you buy the wood.

top.jpg

I'll be moving in the fall, so I don't think I'll end up making a table surface for this room. Thanks for the idea, though; I may need it in the new house! :)

Today, I moved the speakers to the floor and wow... what a difference in sound! Lotsa punch now :D

prometh....curious how you are doing with your passives (assuming you are still using them). I've been using two of them with my SLA-2 and I'm very happy with what I've been getting, but I've got to admit that I had to redo all my presets switching to them from a 2x12 cab w/V30's.

Still using them and they sound fuggin awesome. Smooth deep bass, with grit and a high end crunch. The main punch problem I was having was the room itself, which is now solved by placing the speakers on the floor. Being that the cabs are made of wood, they hide hum and buzz sounds quite well, which is great for guitar but not the best for monitor use. Combining them with headphones provides all the monitor use I need.

I haven't heard any of the high end FRFR equipment people have been referring to, but these compete with guitar cabs... for guitar use... which is what they were designed for.

Nope, now I have them on their rubber feet like how everyone else uses them.

You can also stack them vertically like a 4x12 to push more air in one location. That's how I have them setup due to my current space limitations. Not the best for stereo, but awesome for rock/metal.

It looks as thought you would be using these with cab sims? I have been throwing aroung the idea of getting two active fr atomic cabs...but have been scared to take the full frfr plunge. I know the axe is awesome for direct recording and all that, but worry if i go to frfr for general playing I am at the full mercy of cab sims which seems to be the weak point in any modeller. I haven't yet uploaded any my IR's yet from redwirez mind you. have you missed the traditional poweramp/cab sound or have you been able to capture that with the atomics and proper cab sim selection and eq tricks etc...I have poweramp to 2x12 mesa cab and love the depth i can achieve...but honestly if i can get that with the atomics (active) then i can fully utilize the axe fx full frequencies for some acoustics with my piezo along with funky synth stuff.

Being that the Atomics are Full Range (FR), yes, I'm using them with RedWirez IRs.

As for my power amp, I'm using a Stewart World 1.2 and it works very well. I have a review of it on this forum if you run a search for it. Many solid state power amps suffer from distorted bass frequencies, and the Stewart is smooth.

have you been able to capture that with the atomics and proper cab sim selection and eq tricks etc
Yup, and then some.

Last edited:
hmm interesting. I need to spend some time sampling the redwirez' this weekend to see if i can come close to my real cab in the room. However, this won't be a true test of what the atomics would sound like as I will be running the cab sims via my KRK rockit 8's--undoubtedly not an equal comparison to the atomics. It would be so much easier to have FRFR with presets all designed as such and not fussing with separate signal chains or fx loop for my poweramp/cab. FRFR seems to be the real trend around here...

Back
Top Bottom