Just got back from a concert...

harsh

Inspired
Watched Periphery, Meshuggah and Devin Townsend. All of them were using the Axe FX, and the sound was SO good. Meshuggah especially floored me - the tones they got out of their rigs were so amazing - punchy and very 3D. After seeing more and more bands just using Axe FX, I think it's quite clear that the era of heavy valve amps and cabs is coming to an end. Kudos to the Fractal team for bringing out a total game-changer.

Not sure which category this post should go under! :)

Going to see Periphery, Tesseract and Syquem tomorrow in Germany ;) Im very much looking forward to see the Axe FX on stage in front of me instead of the back ^^

i think meshuggah are still using the ultra if i'm not mistaken. they also have a great monitor system which definitely helps when everyone is using modellers

Man thats a good bill... Saw Meshuggah here a month or so ago with Animals as Leaders and they killed it. Those guys are on another level when it comes to laying it down.

Were the bands you saw only using the Axe-FX (& power amp) or was there other pieces of equipment in their chain (effect pedals, amps, etc.)?

Man, Meshuggah are like a machine. I've never seen a tighter performance than that. Yeah, I believe they are using the Ultras. It was really impressive to see the laptop doing all the program changes. They just focused on their playing and the sound was changing automatically in all the right places. Got to hear the Axe in real stereo as well - I could hear the rhythm guitar panning from FOH right to stereo during the solos, and stereo delays etc on Fredrick's guitar in the solos. Makes me realise that I'm not using even 5% of the Axe's full potential!

Awesome mate, sounds like you had fun :)
I saw meshuggah live last year at a festival. A friend of mine was helping on stage, he told me it was all Axe fx.
It sounded awesome of course :)

Indeed, Meshuggah is on another level. It took surprisingly long before there surfaced band trying to do what they do, but all of a sudden the internetz is filled with them.

Good to see them using Axe live, though they belong to the category that can make anything sound good - including the amp sim in Cubase. On album, however, they still have not sounded as good as they did when using rectos.

Very interesting rundown. No wonder these guys have to be so tight, playing to computer timed switching you have no room for error.

Indeed, Meshuggah is on another level. It took surprisingly long before there surfaced band trying to do what they do, but all of a sudden the internetz is filled with them.

Good to see them using Axe live, though they belong to the category that can make anything sound good - including the amp sim in Cubase. On album, however, they still have not sounded as good as they did when using rectos.

the guitar tones on "destroy, erase, improve" and "chaosphere" are still unsurpassed in that genre

the guitar tones on "destroy, erase, improve" and "chaosphere" are still unsurpassed in that genre

Ughh, the tones on Chaosphere are gross to me! Actually the entire mix on that album is weak IMO. I prefer Nothing, Catch 33 production wise. DEI is a CLASSIC album and the tones on that were pretty good. But Chaosphere is my least favorite musically anyway, which may skew my opinion. Either way, BEST EXTREME METAL BAND PERIOD!

Their live sound is fantastic too :)

Very interesting rundown. No wonder these guys have to be so tight, playing to computer timed switching you have no room for error.
It's my opinion that playing to a perfect schedule like computer-timed switching removes the "live" element from a performance.

Ughh, the tones on Chaosphere are gross to me! Actually the entire mix on that album is weak IMO. I prefer Nothing, Catch 33 production wise. DEI is a CLASSIC album and the tones on that were pretty good. But Chaosphere is my least favorite musically anyway, which may skew my opinion.

it's ok to be wrong :)

Exactly. Chaosphere sounds just as the title, which is a good thing as metal productions these days are way to polished and lack both nerve and atmosphere.

It's my opinion that playing to a perfect schedule like computer-timed switching removes the "live" element from a performance.

Meaning you don't agree with it? If so, would it be more acceptable if they had a guitar tech switching effects and stomping on pedals for them, as it has been "traditionally" done for decades?

Back
Top Bottom