Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

Well I just ordered one of these. Should arrive Friday.

I’m hoping it’s a step up from my two other less-than-great experiences with so-called FRFR speakers (Yamaha DXR10 and a Mission Gemini)

This will likely be my last attempt at getting along with this type of setup. So far I have found the FRFR experience to be…just ok.

I’ll report back!
I didn't even want to touch FRFR at all. I just thought they'd sound like glorified studio monitors. Boy was I wrong... since I have the pair of EVs I just don't turn my PA + guitar cab setup on. Do the EVs sound just as authentic? Maybe not. But in a way they sound even better and I enjoy them really much. One thing that really surprised me was that playing to backing tracks (the tracks coming from my studio monitors and my guitar from the EVs) totally sounded like a guitar that's sitting very well in the mix with just the right amount of cut and definition.

Well I just ordered one of these. Should arrive Friday.

I’m hoping it’s a step up from my two other less-than-great experiences with so-called FRFR speakers (Yamaha DXR10 and a Mission Gemini)

This will likely be my last attempt at getting along with this type of setup. So far I have found the FRFR experience to be…just ok.

I’ll report back!
I’m excited to hear your thoughts! I’ve messed with an FRFR setup in the past but moved to a Fryette PS2 and a Port City 2x12 and have not looked back. I’ve been super happy with that over the last year but I’m very tempted to try an FRFR setup again with these speakers. Plus, Fractal has such amazing stereo effects which I feel like I’m missing out on. Might need to revisit!

Keep us posted! Hope it works out for you!

moved to a Fryette PS2 and a Port City 2x12 and have not looked back. I’ve been super happy with that over the last year but I’m very tempted to try an FRFR setup again with these speakers. Plus, Fractal has such amazing stereo effects which I feel like I’m missing out on. Might need to revisit!

That's a very nice setup! Their little 112 cab is the biggest sounding cab I have ever played through as far as 112's go.

If I had to describe the EV's, they don't get in the way of what a mic'd sound should be much like a studio monitor but with all of the resonance that a guitar cab would have if that makes any sense.

I didn't even want to touch FRFR at all. I just thought they'd sound like glorified studio monitors. Boy was I wrong...

You've peaked my interest with this comment.

I didn't think I'd benefit from purchasing an EV because I don't gig and play at home with my Studio Monitors. I was also concerned that a product designed for live volume wouldn't work well at home volumes, but it sounds like you are using them at home when playing along to backing tracks?

So worth buying, even if only for home use? Perhaps I should try one out after all 🤔

I didn't think I'd benefit from purchasing an EV because I don't gig and play at home with my Studio Monitors. I was also concerned that a product designed for live volume wouldn't work well at home volumes, but it sounds like you are using them at home when playing along to backing tracks?

So worth buying, even if only for home use? Perhaps I should try one out after all 🤔
I'm using a pair at home, and I dig em, but I play louder than people probably have their stereo going, I think. Have a low-budget "soundproofed' "studio", neighbors haven't called the police yet, but it's not quiet down there. Not Marshall stack loud probably, but not quiet.

I’m excited to hear your thoughts! I’ve messed with an FRFR setup in the past but moved to a Fryette PS2 and a Port City 2x12 and have not looked back. I’ve been super happy with that over the last year but I’m very tempted to try an FRFR setup again with these speakers. Plus, Fractal has such amazing stereo effects which I feel like I’m missing out on. Might need to revisit!

Well, I intend to get a second one after playing through mine for awhile now. I can tell the sound will be huge.
Now, if only my stuff on Reverb would sell. Has anyone ever actually sold anything there? I’ve sold gear on EBay in the past in a quarter of the time of my things on Reverb.

Boy, this thread is not good for the wallet. Reading everyone's experiences over the last few months (and in general) I'm seriously considering picking up a single EV to go with my FM9,

The thought of my trusty 2x12 sitting in a corner mostly unused is a bit saddening. But would be so much easier to carry a wedge and pedalboard than a cab + PA + pedalboard.

Is it fair to say most of you are ok living with just the EV as a wedge or "backline", and happily at that? Sounds like yes but I need you to tell me I'm right lol

I've enjoyed the tones and dialing in on my monitors (Kali LP6) and some Tannoy VXP12s I'm housing for a bandmate, the latter are just fantastic speakers. Huge difference compared to my 2x12 with a V30 and C90.

Should I do it with just one EV?

I agree. I'm budgeting for a pair of these myself.
Especially now that I've used the dynacord power amps through JBL VRX line arrays for my FOH day job for a few months.

I'm looking forward to hearing these. 🙂👍

That's a very nice setup! Their little 112 cab is the biggest sounding cab I have ever played through as far as 112's go.
Thanks! Port City 2x12s sound huge! In fact, in the same room with 4x12s, they absolutely hold their own.

Thanks everyone for the impressions of these speakers. They will be my next purchase once I can save the cash.

Boy, this thread is not good for the wallet. Reading everyone's experiences over the last few months (and in general) I'm seriously considering picking up a single EV to go with my FM9,

The thought of my trusty 2x12 sitting in a corner mostly unused is a bit saddening. But would be so much easier to carry a wedge and pedalboard than a cab + PA + pedalboard.

Is it fair to say most of you are ok living with just the EV as a wedge or "backline", and happily at that? Sounds like yes but I need you to tell me I'm right lol

I've enjoyed the tones and dialing in on my monitors (Kali LP6) and some Tannoy VXP12s I'm housing for a bandmate, the latter are just fantastic speakers. Huge difference compared to my 2x12 with a V30 and C90.

Should I do it with just one EV?
Get at least two....

Yes, absolutely worth buying even for home use only. It's unbelievable how good these sound. If you think about it, it's a 12" speaker and a much larger enclosure than your studio monitors.

Just wondering what IEM users are using or doing generally to prevent hearing damage in the event that a mic gets dropped or hit, or the soundperson does something accidentally on the board to send ear damaging levels of sound into the IEMs? How do you protect your hearing from these sorts of events?
limiters and compressors, and most importantly, having a dedicated monitor setup that is out of the sound guys hands completely.

They'll work great at home. But don't lose your studio monitors. The EV's won't have as much bass extension, and that matters when listening to recorded material.

Last edited:
They'll work great at home. But don't lose your studio monitors. The EV's won't have a much bass extension, and that matters when listening to recorded material.
Very true - I only use them for guitar, don't like listening to music through them to be honest. At least in Mode 2.

Mine showed up a little while ago and I’ve been trying it out.

So far I like it better than my DXR10 and my Gemini. It’s still pretty crisp sounding if you know what I mean. The high frequencies are very…high.

I tamed it a bunch with the usual cuts in the amp and cab, and even the input EQ on the Amp block. Added some output compression etc. It definitely helped.

Where am I supposed to set the line/mic knob? At the moment it’s at the default 12:00 position.

I am using “Monitor 2”
Might have to try Guitar Cab mode.

Thanks! Port City 2x12s sound huge! In fact, in the same room with 4x12s, they absolutely hold their own.

Thanks everyone for the impressions of these speakers. They will be my next purchase once I can save the cash.
I have an early Port City 2x12 with the original “wave” face. The first model, not the oversized one. I ordered it unloaded and put Tone Tubbies in it. Great cab.

Mine showed up a little while ago and I’ve been trying it out.

So far I like it better than my DXR10 and my Gemini. It’s still pretty crisp sounding if you know what I mean. The high frequencies are very…high.

I tamed it a bunch with the usual cuts in the amp and cab, and even the input EQ on the Amp block. Added some output compression etc. It definitely helped.

Where am I supposed to set the line/mic knob? At the moment it’s at the default 12:00 position.

I am using “Monitor 2”
Might have to try Guitar Cab mode.
I mentioned before that cranking music through it helped mine break in. It sounds much warmer now.

I played loud music through mine while I was at work and out and about. Probably a total of 24 hours or more. I think the harshness has rounded off a bit.

I agree with @Rex in saying not to lose your studio monitors. My HS7s (with matching sub) are still great when playing at my desk. They sit higher and closer to my head. It's a completely different experience and has its own value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom