Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

The coaxial speakers help disperse the sound a lot more than a standard speaker and horn will, but still I’d stand at least 10’ away to get the full impact. The EVs have major punch so they’ll be easy to hear.
It depends on the polar frequency bandwidth plots of the components…

Our band started using the KZ ZS10 Pros, WE LOVE THEM!!
I’ll second this. These in ears sound great with the comply foam tips. I was so happy I didn’t have a stack of $$$ for a decent headset.
But I’m also looking to get one of these EV’s eventually. I’m typically running a couple Yamaha DBR10s as monitors with or sometimes without IEM depending on what the band feels like for practice or a gig. Overall they sound pretty good sometimes can’t quite get loud enough or they lose clarity if I’ve got vocals and keys coming through them too.

Seems like you'd just blow the sound past your ankles that way.
Not at all tbh.
With that angle you need to have some distance for sure! The room looks pretty large so if he is standing at the other end you could turn up to a pretty good gig volume and be buried deep in sound!
The coaxial speakers help disperse the sound a lot more than a standard speaker and horn will, but still I’d stand at least 10’ away to get the full impact. The EVs have major punch so they’ll be easy to hear.

FWIW, I usually keep them in more traditional monitor orientation and they're back that way now. But I kinda agree with what @Sixstring amd @Greg Ferguson said.

A friend and I tested the setup with them kinda upright like that yesterday and it was awesome when standing anywhere from 5 to 25 feet away. Keep in mind they have a much better dispersion than a regular guitar cab, and they were still pointing more upwards than a regular cab anyway.

On a more general note, like I've said I haven't had good experiences with FRFR systems in the past and these are the polar opposite of that--I love them. I'd told my friend about them and he was skeptical. He has also disliked the FRFRs he's tried. Sure enough though, he really liked the EVs as well and was as surprised to like them as I initially was. These things are great.

Lastly, we spent most of the time on a non-WDW high-gain preset playing at about 100db and it was just beastly. But we also spent some time on a WDW preset and that's just ridiculously inspiring if you're into effects. If you have a chance to try that, I highly recommend doing so.

Beaming doesn't really apply to coaxial design speakers as the high frequency traverses through the woofer cone and the speakers are designed with a wide dispersion (90x90 for the EVs).
Does this mean that it is not interesting to use the EV PXM projected behind the guitarist pointing towards the audience, as if it were a real guitar cabinet?

Beaming doesn't really apply to coaxial design speakers as the high frequency traverses through the woofer cone and the speakers are designed with a wide dispersion (90x90 for the EVs).
Beaming still applies to coaxial speakers, but not as severely. The PXM’s horn has a fairly uniform beam of 60° x 90°. Near the crossover frequency, the cone has a narrower beam than the horn. That beam widens out as the frequency drops. At bass frequencies, most speakers radiate significant signal in all directions, even behind them.

In @Deadpool_25 ’s picture, the speakers are tilted back about 15°. Their wide high-frequency beam adds another 30°, so their coverage runs (roughly) from straight ahead to 45° vertically. At 45°, standing 6 feet from the speaker puts the top of the beam at about 6 feet in the air, so your ears will catch most of it.

Just wondering what IEM users are using or doing generally to prevent hearing damage in the event that a mic gets dropped or hit, or the soundperson does something accidentally on the board to send ear damaging levels of sound into the IEMs? How do you protect your hearing from these sorts of events?

Hard limiter built into my senn. For those without, then on the mixer.

Wonder what the limiter settings would look like for application to IEMS, on for example, a Behringer X32 board. This is my one concern with switching to IEMS. I have had some ear-splitting events occur over the years through conventional monitors that were deafening. Can't imagine what they would have been like through a poorly limited pair of IEMs.

The following is from a gear page... I just googled it
limiters are good insurance but i gotta say in like two decades of using IEMs i've never had any incident where i might have needed them, no out of the blue explosively loud sound in my ears. with normal modern PAs run by competent soundguys that's not a thing that often happens

to be fair i've always used wireless and it's good practice with analog wireless to run the transmitter pretty hot, feeding it as loud a signal as it will transmit without ever hitting its clip lights. this inherently serves as a limiter, any surprise transient will just clip the transmitter instead of blasting into your earbuds. i suppose it's different for wired IEMs

We'll probably go with a standard X32 rack for the setup.
then this is easy. on each aux output feeding your monitor mixes:

set the output compressor to its fastest attack (so it squashes down instantly)

set ratio at ∞:1 (so it becomes a brick wall limiter that will get no louder once it hits the threshold)

set that threshold just above the loudest normal level while in use (so it never kicks in when things are under control)

now you have a limiter on your monitor aux; it won't do anything with normal use but if some crazy loud signal gets through it'll squash it down to barely louder than the normal signal level

The following is from a gear page... I just googled it
limiters are good insurance but i gotta say in like two decades of using IEMs i've never had any incident where i might have needed them, no out of the blue explosively loud sound in my ears. with normal modern PAs run by competent soundguys that's not a thing that often happens

to be fair i've always used wireless and it's good practice with analog wireless to run the transmitter pretty hot, feeding it as loud a signal as it will transmit without ever hitting its clip lights. this inherently serves as a limiter, any surprise transient will just clip the transmitter instead of blasting into your earbuds. i suppose it's different for wired IEMs

then this is easy. on each aux output feeding your monitor mixes:

set the output compressor to its fastest attack (so it squashes down instantly)

set ratio at ∞:1 (so it becomes a brick wall limiter that will get no louder once it hits the threshold)

set that threshold just above the loudest normal level while in use (so it never kicks in when things are under control)

now you have a limiter on your monitor aux; it won't do anything with normal use but if some crazy loud signal gets through it'll squash it down to barely louder than the normal signal level

Great info and detail, thanks!

Well I just ordered one of these. Should arrive Friday.

I’m hoping it’s a step up from my two other less-than-great experiences with so-called FRFR speakers (Yamaha DXR10 and a Mission Gemini)

This will likely be my last attempt at getting along with this type of setup. So far I have found the FRFR experience to be…just ok.

I’ll report back!

Well I just ordered one of these. Should arrive Friday.

I’m hoping it’s a step up from my two other less-than-great experiences with so-called FRFR speakers (Yamaha DXR10 and a Mission Gemini)

This will likely be my last attempt at getting along with this type of setup. So far I have found the FRFR experience to be…just ok.

I’ll report back!
I'll be curious to see what you think. My experience with FRFRs before these was similar to yours.

Back
Top Bottom