Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

Do you guys know if it's safe to turn the PXM-12MP on/off with a power strip while leaving the switch on the monitor in the "on" position?
As long as things are powered on in the right succession when devices are connected to the monitors it doesn't make a difference! Powered speakers or PA amps are always the last thing on and the first this off!

If you want to be extra careful roll back the volume knob on the monitors prior to doing this this way there are no loud surprises.

I have my monitors setup to where I leave them on and power them up with a remote switch on my board once the FM is powered up! As far as the monitors are concerned it's no different than flicking the switch on the monitors themselves.

I use a Furman sequential power conditioner to turn my AxeIII and PXMs on and off. It has three outlets that you can set a delay on so my monitor doesn't power up until the AxeIII has powered up and loaded. It powers down in the opposite sequence with the flip of a switch. I haven't had any problems.

Do you guys know if it's safe to turn the PXM-12MP on/off with a power strip while leaving the switch on the monitor in the "on" position?
Power switches interrupt power as it comes into the device. That’s exactly what your power strip does. It’s a rare audio device that could be damaged that way.

Last edited:

It probably is safe to turn it off that way. My reservation might be turning it back on with the power strip. Never really liked turning on expensive equipment by turning on a strip - concerns about a power surge. Admittedly have done it on occasion where it is just too inconvenient to get to a switch on a device every time. Might be nothing wrong with it though, I am not an electrical engineer.

It probably is safe to turn it off that way. My reservation might be turning it back on with the power strip. Never really liked turning on expensive equipment by turning on a strip - concerns about a power surge. Admittedly have done it on occasion where it is just too inconvenient to get to a switch on a device every time. Might be nothing wrong with it though, I am not an electrical engineer.
The device itself determines how much inrush current (what you’re calling “power surge”) happens when you turn the device on. The power switch in your PXM physically connects the PXM to electrical power. So does the power switch in your power strip. It’s the same thing — the same amount of inrush current either way.

The device itself determines how much inrush current (what you’re calling “power surge”) happens when you turn the device on. The power switch in your PXM physically connects the PXM to electrical power. So does the power switch in your power strip. It’s the same thing — the same amount of inrush current either way.

And there you have it, go for it! No additional warranty, explicit or implied :grin:

... What I learned here is that I'm not as good at dialing in the Dynacabs as I thought I was. I got close in some other presets, but nothing as instantly pleasing as the Yorks. ...
I can report the exact the same experience. For now I much prefer playing through IRs with the PXM-12MPs instead of Dyna-Cabs but it's mostly down to having to figure out how to dial in and blend the different mics.

EV PXM-12MP VS Yamaha DHR12M

Has anyone compared the EV to the Yamaha? I am getting ready to buy and the Yamaha is more affordable, but if the EV is that much better, I will save up for that. Is it sound quality that's superior or features/options?

PXM’s are much better than the DHR. I had the DHR. Returned it. Just buy your last amp first!
Which DHR did you buy and return? The coaxial version or the usual speaker/horn setup. Just curious. I own 2 of the DHR12M (coaxial) and they are excellent, for sure. I have not been able to a/b them with the EV yet, but I would bet they are very close as the specs are very close as well, other than the added EQ and 1 monitor setting which I assume is the added expense. Also, you have to have time to break in the speaker, it takes up to 40 hours or so. I didn't like the stiffness at first use, but they came to life after the break in period. I am sure there is a break in period for the EVs as well.

Last edited:
I bought the Yamaha DHR12M, and compared it to my CLR. They sound really close w/ Eq off on a pole stand.

Edit:
I’d definitely recommend it! In fact, i’m selling my CLR locally so i can get another Yamaha, just because it’s lighter.

Last edited:
I’d expect that the raw speakers are also part of the reason too. EV’s speakers are legendary.
I will agree EV makes great speakers, I have used them in P.A. in the past. Yamaha does as well. Look at the history of the Yamaha speakers including studio monitors, I think they can hold their own in that price range. And I am not trying to take away anything from the EVs, I wish I could do a comparison, and if they were that much better, I would buy one or two.

I sold my DXR10 to get the newer Yamaha DHR12M and was disappointed about the lack of power and volume. I am am much happier with the new DXR10 MKII now. They are louder and sound fuller and give me the feeling of a bigger cab while being smaller and lighter. Better try them, before you buy.

I sold my DXR10 to get the newer Yamaha DHR12M and was disappointed about the lack of power and volume. I am am much happier with the new DXR10 MKII now. They are louder and sound fuller and give me the feeling of a bigger cab while being smaller and lighter. Better try them, before you buy.
Both the EV PXM-12MP and the Yamaha DHR12M provide 129db which is ear shattering IMO, plenty of power/loudness. The DXR10 can get 132db according to Yamaha's specs but is also a 2 way system vs Coaxial. Not sure what's not to like but... I have used my Yamahas as FOH as well, and plenty of volume for a medium sized room. I can't imagine cranking my DHR12M with the FM9 up to that level. I usually have it around noon especially if it is near me as a floor wedge. Maybe you got a bad unit?

I do not want to badmouth the DHR12M, it certainly has its qualities and it is good if it satisfies the needs of you and many others.
If your FM9 works on +4dB and you turn the DHR12M to noon (0 dB), you reach the maximum achievable volume. Above that, the limiter kicks in and you can't go any louder. Good, if that's enough for you.
Unfortunately, I reach with a very loud drummer this limit, so I had to return to the DXR10, which is a little louder. The MKII has received a significant sound improvement and I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
I do not want to badmouth the DHR12M, it certainly has its qualities and it is good if it satisfies the needs of you and many others.
If your FM9 works on +10dB and you turn the DHR12M to noon (0 dB), you reach the maximum achievable volume. Above that, the limiter kicks in and you can't go any louder. Good, if that's enough for you.
Unfortunately, I reach with a very loud drummer this limit, so I had to return to the DXR10, which is a little louder. The MKII has received a significant sound improvement and I am very happy with it.
I feel you. I have pair of EV PXM’s and with axe-fx output set to +4db and out1 knob set to 2 o’clock I am at the treshold.
just a hair more output and limiter kicks on my EV’s. it pushed 125db and with my drummer, it’s just enough. Rest of the band has to set levels accordingly, otherwise I would not hear myself. I still think I will get another pair, just for some volume reserve.

Back
Top Bottom