just bought Andy Timmons' Resolution CD

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
after hearing so much good things about him I decided to check it out myself.
Listened to the whole thing all I can asy is:

I'm very disappointed.

Highly stereotypical, no original ideas, poor songwriting/arrangements, pratically no motivic or thematic development of ideas. It's like listening to someone noodling over backing tracks. Actually it IS listening to someone noodling over backing tracks with 'that' Ibanez/Dimarzio sound.

Anyway, If someone is interested in this CD and is from germany, pm me your adress and I'll send you the CD for free.

Andy Timmons is my favorite player, but far from my favorite composer of guitar instrumental music

Resolution doesn't do much for me either. I like That Was Then, This Is Now more with the standouts being "Electric Gypsy" and "Groove or Die." Based on your comments on Resolution, I'm not so sure that this cd would impress you either. That's the problem with a lot of instrumental cds, imo. Most sound like improvs over backing tracks.

Wow

I'm not a big fan of guitar instrumental albums but I love Resolution. I found the tracks nicely structured and different from most guitar albums, His tone is again different from the rest of the Ibanez crowd too

I would love to be able to play at his level even if it sounded like I was noodling to backing tracks, I guess one mans front yard is another mans backyard. Andy will just have to be content noodling his way to the bank :lol.

I personally agree with the original comment from Don, not my favorite player. You first have to realize he's not really a flashy guy, such as Vai, Satch Petrucci, Gilbert.....( put G3 star here )

Everyone is mostly mesmerized by his tone, and chordal work. The compositions are nice theory wise, and played well. They are simply played kinda straight without a lot of vibrato to them.
He reminds me of Rob Balducci, great ideas, great player, nice compositions theory wise, but not a lot of easily identifiable individualism. It's a hard thing to cultivate, I take it easy on them and feel their pain.

One the other hand, we're bitching about them in a forum in a corner of the web, where opinion and personal taste vary as wide as anywhere. They have records out, and people know and love them. Credit where credit is due.

I did like Danger Danger though.

Playing aside, check out a couple of tones Ive found on the forums for the tone.
The TONE, is the key here.

Id recommend Guthrie Govan, album is called Erotic Cakes. Playing , composition, tone , everything, very well.
Do some Google about him.

Enjoy-
Ben

Attachments

• 274 - AndyTimmons Resolute.syx
    2 KB · Views: 37
  • 275 - Andy Timmons Layer.syx
    2 KB · Views: 28
What irritated me about him a bit is that I could recognise where he stole others licks too much. Of course you can hear this with more players, but usually it blends in better. Sounded like a weird mix of guitar players... over a backing track ;-P (I do enjoy some of it)

have not heard his last cd yet, but the this is now cd was pretty nice, i done know what you guys mean, he has a lot of feeling and i could even if i just heard him on the radio without knowing him be able to reconize that it is him, like you guys say his not flash but the guy has style, rythm and tone and pretty nice phrasing...but hey everybody has their opinon....

Resolution doesn't do much for me either. I like That Was Then, This Is Now more with the standouts being "Electric Gypsy" and "Groove or Die." Based on your comments on Resolution, I'm not so sure that this cd would impress you either. That's the problem with a lot of instrumental cds, imo. Most sound like improvs over backing tracks.

+1. Exactly. Didn't like Resolution either, love That Was Then, This Is Now.

Paste a link with your "original" music! Let's hear if you stand up to your own standards!

That's a fallacy. You don't have to know how to paint to be an established art critic. Same with music. I don't have to be able to play neoclassical music to make fun of Yngwie Malmsteen. :D

There are people who find guthrie's style and playing boring and flat as well. But like andy, you can't argue much with the TONES!!! And like them or not, those guys have MONSTER chops! Although that's also a bit subjective, if you think you can outplay or out-tone them, be my guest! I've tried, and barely even come close, and I'm no cowboy strummer. I am a highly sought after session player and musician, and I cannot play in these guy's ballpark. Not even be the waterboy.

I'm not saying that they are GREAT composers, they're actually fairly average composers in the grand scheme of things, so I can agree with don, but I CAN appreciate what they're doing and the insanely good tones they do it with.

Although that's also a bit subjective, if you think you can outplay or out-tone them, be my guest!

I know I can't touch these guys in tone or technique but I look at these artists' works from a consumer's point of view. If buying cds were based on who can play or sound better than me, then I'd be broke.

Back
Top Bottom