Jump to bank of currently active preset?

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I've read through the FM9 and FC manuals, but I'm not clear on some of the details of the switch functions.

Is there a function that allows me to jump to the bank that contains the currently active preset, if I have recalled a new bank but have not yet engaged a preset in the new bank?

Nope. The no such function. But it would be cool if there were.

I've read through the FM9 and FC manuals, but I'm not clear on some of the details of the switch functions.

Is there a function that allows me to jump to the bank that contains the currently active preset, if I have recalled a new bank but have not yet engaged a preset in the new bank?
Did you also read the Footswitch Functions Guide? That's where the real details are...

Sounds like a good wish!

Wait!

If you're in a preset and change to layout of switches using Select Preset in Bank, you will be in the bank where the preset is ;)
No, I'll be in a different bank. I won't be automatically loading a preset in the newly recalled bank. My previous preset will not be available in the bank that is now recalled. I'm wondering if there is a function to jump to the bank that contains the active preset regardless of what bank you may have loaded since you engaged that preset.

It may sound strange, but I have my reasons for wanting this based on past stage experience.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how a bank is recalled?

Last edited:
No, I'll be in a different bank. I won't be automatically loading a preset in the newly recalled bank. My previous preset will not be available in the bank that is now recalled. I'm wondering if there is a function to jump to the bank that contains the active preset regardless of what bank you may have loaded since you engaged that preset.

It may sound strange, but I have my reasons for wanting this based on past stage experience.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how a bank is recalled?
And if you change layouts and then change back, is it still in the new bank?

On my FC-12, it stays on the new bank after changing layouts and going back and does not revert back to the bank of the current preset (preset switches keep blinking until you select a preset). I would assume the FM9 would do the same.

On my FC-12, it stays on the new bank after changing layouts and going back and does not revert back to the bank of the current preset (preset switches keep blinking until you select a preset). I would assume the FM9 would do the same.
That's what I was afraid of. I understand why it works that way, especially when automatically switching to the preset layout when changing Banks. But it presents another set of challenges if you don't have the option otherwise.

Last edited:
I've always kept a switch with an on-hold function set to "return to a specific bank" to compensate for this on my FCs and on my FM9's bank view FWIW. I have another switch with on-hold set to load a specific preset in case I get really lost in the weeds.

I've always kept a switch with an on-hold function set to "return to a specific bank" to compensate for this on my FCs and on my FM9's bank view FWIW. I have another switch with on-hold set to load a specific preset in case I get really lost in the weeds.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if it will help or not. Having a function to return to the bank of the currently active preset, (especially when automatically loading the preset layout), is the fastest way I can think of to get out of the tallest weeds.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if it will help or not. Having a function to return to the bank of the currently active preset, (especially when automatically loading the preset layout), is the fastest way I can think of to get out of the tallest weeds.
I like your feature request. Mine is just a work around. Very imperfect unless the presets you use live are all in one bank.

Might be a software code thing that could be re-written. My FM9 has a HOME tap footswitch which always loads the bank where my current preset is, and a HOLD same footswitch that loads my 1st user preset in Bank 1. My external stand-in switch is used tap/hold for bank up/down. That reminds me, I need to check my FM9's layouts to ensure what I've just said is true or not. The HOLD feature may have been deleted a month or so ago while a little FM9 housecleaning was being done.

The HOME/1 user preset tap/hold is useful in regards striding blindly along in a gig and stepping off the path into uncharted territory...:oops:. Thankfully, I can always find the proverbial breadcrumbs to make it home again...

Great thought. That would be very useful for me.

How is that possible?

bleujazz3 said:
My FM9 has a HOME tap footswitch which always loads the bank where my current preset is

Please I would like to know also
It's a standard footswitch with a custom title...hang on, let me pull up my FM9-Edit SS...IOW, if I step on HOME, the FM9 loads to the bank where the current preset is...conversely, if I'm currently working with bank 3, stepping on home loads to...layout 1, view 1, bank 3. Apparently, setting up a switch this way defaults to whatever bank you're currently working with at the time. (Your desired result?)

Note the HOME switch and the associated config...HOME selects Layout 1/View 1 (Presets/View 1) each time I step on HOME. Each time I HOLD HOME, it selects Preset #385 (Select by Preset #), my 1st user preset in my first user bank. My FM9 is set up so that the footswitches read preset, but stepping on them pulls up SCENES within the selected preset. (Located in FC Edit > Devices, IIRC)

9RrE4D5.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom