JONESING FOR v10 RELEASE NOTES!!!

In the notes it has the following: The ODS-100 models were redone and matched to a Dumble Overdrive Special, S/N 0213. This particular amp is a 100W “HRM” version. The lead channel was matched with the preamp bypass (PAB) engaged which bypasses the input tone stack. The lead channel was also modeled with the Drive control at approximately 7.0. The Input Trim parameter can be used to increase or decrease the drive. Note that the clean channel has a bright cap on the Master Volume. This causes the tone to get brighter as the MV is reduced and vice-versa.

Is there something 'different' in how the Drive control works that it was modeled with it at around 7.0 as opposed to having the full range of the drive control? Also, who is HRM? Thanks!

The ODS100 has two drive controls, one is right at the input, the other is in the lead boost section. Since the Axe-Fx only has a single Drive control, the model has to assume one of them was set at a certain position.

The ODS100 has two drive controls, one is right at the input, the other is in the lead boost section. Since the Axe-Fx only has a single Drive control, the model has to assume one of them was set at a certain position.

Thanks for the quick response Cliff... knowing this, could you see adding a similar 'second drive control' to all amp models? Or is this more of a 'one trick pony'?

How about make a drive pedal that emulates the HRM?

just put the tonestack in post gain position - your got the HRM mod working! Emulating a Dumble Amp within the axefx parameter grid is very complex. As on the old MesaBoogie Mk2 amps, the clean volume control has an influence on the OD circuit - so here you got your 2nd gain control. On most other amps, the clean volume control would be bypassed, when switching into drive mode - But on a dumble....this is a different story ;)

The normal tonestack (a modded RCA/fender type called Skyliner ) in clean channel has a huge influence on the drive characteristics too - when the PAB (Pre Amp Boost) is engaged, the bass- and treble pot are not working, it results in a middle voiced boost - while the middle potentiometer still remains in the circuit - this is also very unusual situation regarding the position of the parameter in the axefx.

Here is my solution to make the d-style magic work- make the PAB switchable with the Boost option. When PAB is inactive, the default tonestack is a skyliner in pre gain position. With the PAB enganged, the mid control remains in pre position while the bass and treble knobs will control the HRM tonestack. Instead of the mid potentiometer (20k) in the HRM tonestack, just add a 13k resistor to ground.

Last edited:
I'm floored by these release notes!!!!

This is an industry bar raising update.

Good bye Kemper! :twisted

If I start rubbing my hands together in anticipation now, I'm worried there might be some chafing, or perhaps complete loss of all skin tissue. And then I wouldn't be able to play my guitar when FW10 comes out. I'll just hold my breath instead...

The Input Trim IS the second drive control.

l.jpg

Just for clarification. On the ODS, we have a VOLUME Level which is really like an input trim and a RATIO which, if I understand correctly, is the amount of Overdrive fed into the preamp circuitry. With the Amp Block offering a DRIVE control and an INPUT TRIM control, which performs which function?

The Input Trim IS the second drive control.

Adjusting the Input Trim is my favorite way to control the amount of breakup on basically every model. Some amps that have too much gain for my tastes sound like a million bucks with nothing more than setting a low (or very low) Input Trim value.

Same thing goes in the other direction for cleaner models.

l.jpg

Just for clarification. On the ODS, we have a VOLUME Level which is really like an input trim and a RATIO which, if I understand correctly, is the amount of Overdrive fed into the preamp circuitry. With the Amp Block offering a DRIVE control and an INPUT TRIM control, which performs which function?

Input Trim is now the Clean Volume in the axe! The OD-trim (internal trimmer between clean and OD circuit) is presetted to 26k ;)

These in particular stand out to me. Lots of great attention to detail in the user interface and looper! Very excited for these!

And I'd love one more feature in the looper. Greedy me. Now that you can set the start/end points, a control to shift the selection forward and back while maintaing the length would be awesome. There's a feature like this in the Eventide TimeFactor and it makes getting cool variations of a loop that still fit the same space easy and intuitive.

As to the rest of it, WOW, what an update. Thanks as always for great work. Even things that were previously considered undo able are here like bias tremolo. What an amazing list of updates.

IMHO the #1 reason why the Axe FX is as popular as it is , is because of the free updates...

Exactly. It's part of their business model. It's a big reason why when there's an Axe III I'll buy it when it gets there. The fact that someone doesn't have an MFC has nothing to do with FA not having $ for stock. Manufacturing stuff is tricky and FA probably has little control over some crucial aspects of the supply chain.

Back
Top Bottom