Joining a bar band.

I always thought the church is a place to go to be fed the Word of God. That one hour a week should be respected for study.

Do people leave the Church thinking about the awsome guitar solo, or what they learned from the Word and how it helps them or others in daily living.

Not judging the super-fun rockband church, just quriouse:)

I remember when Ben Gowell started playing for the Church he plays for Paul Baloche and has played for Michael W smith at one time. The first thing he asked me is if I was playing in a band other than Church. I can tell he was disappointed that I wasn’t out there playing. Kind of funny actually.

I've played exactly 0 P&W gigs because we didn't HAVE those types of things at our church (incredibly small town). We had organ and choir. The priest actually got mad at me for bringing a guitar one time and wanting to sit in with the choir when I was in high school. I was also an altar boy from about age 7 to 16 and couldn't believe playing music on an electric guitar was somehow inappropriate.

Instead, I played solo gigs with anybody who could play any instrument or sing. At 17, my friend and I composed a 4 minute guitar duet, hand-wrote 4 copies of a sheets, and competed in a high-school band sectional competition, but the judges had never had anybody show up with a guitar before nor compose their own piece. We got a feature shoutout, which resulted in an encore performance, but they refused to score us and instead gave us a "Satisfactory" ranking. At 19 I found myself taking my metal band, putting the drummer on keys, grabbing acoustic guitars and playing a dinner party for the chamber of commerce. The guests didn't even know they were hearing Marilyn Manson songs, but that's a story for another time. Hell, I've even showed up at other bands gigs and been asked to play. I don't even know how many gigs I've put a band together by walking through the crowd and talking to musicians I knew that happened to be there.

The point of all this is years of playing all kinds of crazy crap I never thought I would do prepared me for those bar gigs where you're playing to the staff. I don't think the crowds have really changed all that much, but the music those crowds want to hear certainly has. My message to you simply is: No matter what the gig is, do it well. Perform to the bar staff as if they're a crowd of 200 and eventually 200 will show up. Perform to those people like it's a crowd of 1000 and eventually 1000 will show up. Just have fun with it.

We have a few simple rules in my current cover band:
If somebody in the band doesn't like the song, we don't play it.
All song picks have to be a top 20 hit, regardless of what year it was.
If we like the song, but doesn't fit, we change the genre of the song to fit.
If you want something done and nobody is doing it, do it yourself. Consult the rest of the band before you spend any money on it, however.
If somebody is doing something, don't complain that you would do it differently. For instance, if I'm doing merch and you want to help, you do it based on my system of merch inventory. If you have suggestions, I'll listen, but unless you want to take it over, I don't want to hear you complaining. This removes the "what if I do it wrong" line of thinking that prevents people from taking the initiative.

I always thought the church is a place to go to be fed the Word of God. That one hour a week should be respected for study.

Do people leave the Church thinking about the awsome guitar solo, or what they learned from the Word and how it helps them or others in daily living.

Not judging the super-fun rockband church, just quriouse:)

This depends very much on the personality of the church (i.e. denomination). Some are as you describe, focused strongly on teaching. Other churches place a high value on celebration, which is where that awesome guitar solo might come in. Those who attend this personality of church would say that celebrating the maker of the universe should be at least as exciting as celebrating the recent hockey or football victory. The truth is that both of these, and other elements, will ideally be in the life of any church (IMHO).

Terry.

I've done both, and had both good and bad experiences in each. The deciding factor in each case wasn't the music or the venue, it was me. Follow your conscience and convictions, whether in church or bars, or weddings, or corporate gigs... you get the picture. Play what you love, don't play things that you can't stomach (musically or spiritually). Its a business, in a sense. Playing guitar is no different than working for the electric company that supplies a bar power, or the bank that floats their mortgage. Do it honorably, and you've done your job and can be as proud as any other craftsman.

I've played in several cover bands over the years. Some gigs were the best ever, most were "paid practice" because the crowd (or lack thereof) was just there to drink. Didn't matter who was playing.

I quit all of them because 1- I love doing original music more than covers 2- it just wasn't fun anymore 3-especially here in AZ, I got SO tired of the manual labor of setting up and tearing down in the 100+ temps.

Also, I realized for myself, I was bringing over $15k of gear to a gig that I got paid between $40 and up...

All in all it was a great experience, and when I get the itch to play in front of a crowd, I have a couple of bands I can jump up on stage and play a couple.

When the crowd is into it, and you're in the zone, it's a great feeling.

Lemme know when you guys are playing, I'd love to come out and support the cause.

I've played in several cover bands over the years. Some gigs were the best ever, most were "paid practice" because the crowd (or lack thereof) was just there to drink. Didn't matter who was playing.

I quit all of them because 1- I love doing original music more than covers 2- it just wasn't fun anymore 3-especially here in AZ, I got SO tired of the manual labor of setting up and tearing down in the 100+ temps.

Also, I realized for myself, I was bringing over $15k of gear to a gig that I got paid between $40 and up...

All in all it was a great experience, and when I get the itch to play in front of a crowd, I have a couple of bands I can jump up on stage and play a couple.

When the crowd is into it, and you're in the zone, it's a great feeling.

Lemme know when you guys are playing, I'd love to come out and support the cause.

I will. I'm not sure of the time frame though.

i love these church threads, they turn into a good old fashioned bar brawl, just like we have in kamelia

They don't have to be it really depends on how tactful peoples posts are. The smart ones know how to go there with out going there :lol

EDIT: you beat me to it scott...

Good luck!
A 4 member (or more) band playing for a dead bar to people who don't care...that's a good overview of what the music scene has become in the U.S.

IMO, YMMV, etc - Between the various non-musical reasons that's happened (DUI enforcement, online dating, etc) the fact that bars went from hiring full-time professional musicians for a living wage...to hiring part-time day-job bands for less than $500 is right up there with the rest as to why the music scene isn't what it used to be.

Good luck!
A 4 member (or more) band playing for a dead bar to people who don't care...that's a good overview of what the music scene has become in the U.S.

IMO, YMMV, etc - Between the various non-musical reasons that's happened (DUI enforcement, online dating, etc) the fact that bars went from hiring full-time professional musicians for a living wage...to hiring part-time day-job bands for less than $500 is right up there with the rest as to why the music scene isn't what it used to be.

this is a result of too many crap bands being allowed to destroy the air waves

The evangelical/worship church band thing is something unique to the USA in my view so I can't really comment on that, however one of the joys of life is stumbling into a dark and dingy pub or bar and unexpectedly finding a four-piece band thrashing out hits. So Scott, I would unreservedly recommend you give it a go and enjoy the experience. Live music doesn't have to be about stadium tours, ageing rock bands and three-hour sets, in fact it's better if it's not. IMO of course.

this is a result of too many crap bands being allowed to destroy the air waves
I'm not a grunge hater, but Nirvana was the antithesis of the plastic late 80's "cock rock" that came before it. I wasn't a big lover the fakey 80's poser stuff, but the sluts were hot and the bars were full. One problem with Grunge was it produced to sound/feel like a garage band. The main problem was it was also the antithesis of bands like Queen, Boston, Heart, etc. The kind of music that was inspiring, uplifting, fun to party to, fun to get laid to, and required substantial instrumental and vocal talent from every member of the band.

When Grunge swept the music scene, any garage band could play the music. The barbarians were at the gate, the cultural pendulum had swung to the other extreme, and the bars let them invade. When I saw that and the DUI crackdown, I predicted the death of the touring 6-night road scene and local 6-night music scene in as early as 6 months. I wish today I'd been wrong, but I wasn't.

A few months before my prediction, the full-time touring band I lived in lost their keyboard player with zero notice and had to snatch crap-pay day jobs while looking for a replacement because good, singing keyboard players were hard to find. We had some finalists and got together NYE 1991 to talk about it. That's when I dropped my prediction that there would be no scene to "get back into". They actually believed me. By the end of summer 1992, the connecting rooms between cities were dropping like flies, 6-night bars were dropping to four nights, the grunge invasion was well under way. It's never been the same since, at least for the west/midwest full-time touring rock/variety bands I was in and was familiar with. It was a big change.

I wouldn't want to play in a bar band today. Don't get me wrong - there are still amazing venues and regions/populations who eat up good live music. But that used to be the rule, not the exception.

Last edited:
i walked into a pub once and the was an asian guy trying to 'rap' i looked around to see if i was the only one having fits of laughter, but there was no one else around

they practically begged me to buy a drink, i said are you serious mate ide rather get dragged behind a car

i walked into a pub once and the was an asian guy trying to 'rap' i looked around to see if i was the only one having fits of laughter, but there was no one else around

they practically begged me to buy a drink, i said are you serious mate ide rather get dragged behind a car

The exact same thing happened to me the other day. I don't bloody believe it. How strange. Was it the Plume of Feathers in Hotwells perchance? Actually, thinking about it, it probably wasn't, that closed down in 1979.

I played out in bars, Harley rally's, and party's for years. My band played an Allman Bros type thing; lots of room for improvisation. Now, and for the last few years its been P&W. I really got sick of the bar scene and was really caught up in the whole "rock lifestyle"; which essentially means a lot of self medication. I love the P&W stuff and I love the life style changes that come from it. Playing P&W for me was the first time I played in front of a crowd completely straight.

What I do miss is the musicianship. P&W is not primarily about playing music - it is about helping to providing a corporate worship environment. It is definitely lyric based music. Although my old band sang lyrics it was just as much about playing music, or maybe even more about playing music; and I do miss that ....a lot.

Go and play dude, but don't forget whats really important. You know, be "in" the world and not "of" the world. Let your lamp shine, how else will people ever know how great a Christ centered life can be?

"Preach the Gospel at all times - use words if necessary".

Back
Top Bottom