Joe Bonamassa Live at Beacon Theater

Just do yourself a favor and see him live...you will get it I promise!

I second that. I understand where others are comparing him to EJ, and he unashamedly admits the influence. When I saw Joe in Austin last December, guess who joined him on stage and genuinely enjoyed himself? None other than Eric Johnson. I've seen EJ 8 times now and he was having as much fun that night as any other show I've seen him play.

I'll be the first to say that Joe doesn't really do anything uniquely original. He just does everything exceedingly well. Great tone, great chops, great tunes (yes, lots of them are covers), and how can you not enjoy seeing a guy bring out a different guitar for each song? Like most of my favorite artists, he needs to be experienced live to truly understand what makes him great.

Theres something about Bonamassa that just strikes me the wrong way, I've never been a fan of him. Maybe it was from him wearing Ed Hardy shirts in his video for Who Killed John Henry. He's a great player, but I agree with the poster up above wondering how much he listens to Eric Johnson lol

What I like about Bonamassa is that he always unashamedly acknowledges those that came before him. After all, who of us here DOESN'T sound a bit like our favourite guitarist? :) I'll admit that I only got more interested in guys like Eric Johnson, Rory Gallagher, Danny Gatton etc. AFTER listening to Joe and hearing him talk so highly about them.

I've seen him cop flack in other forums based on what he wears etc., but really, I had hoped that as musicians ourselves, we would go a little deeper than that. There are also those who say that he is arrogant etc. based on a single tweet or Facebook post that he occasionally does, but if you would take the time to talk to him one on one, you would realise that he is really the most humble, nicest, friendly chap. Loves talking about gear, is passionate about the guitar, and can play really, really well...

joebonamassasguitars.jpg

He borrowed my gear for the shot. Borrowed my suit too.

Just watched this. Laughed out loud at least 3 times. The John Hyatt stuff is just ridiculous. Yeah, it's all probably derivative, but who have you seen do this better?

See, when you can actually play like Joe Bonamassa, GAS turns into a legitimate "pursuit of tone", and no one can tell you otherwise.

Thanks for posting that link. I also felt a little indifferent to Bonamassa. Liking a song here and there. We even play Drivin' Towards the Daylight, but an artist that while I totally appreciate and respect his talent, I could take it or leave it.

But HOLY smack I do believe I just got converted. That is some seriously good music. Appreciate the eye opener.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the link for this performance.... I've been to a live concert of his here in town a few years back and enjoyed it thoroughly. This Beacon theater show is truly an epic performance imho.
As for the In responses mentioning a major Eric Johnson influence, I'd have to say there is really more of an Eric Clapton influence in Joe's style and sound. Either way, I'm glad to see this young man represent those of a more recent generation boldly carrying the torch for awesome Blues / Rock guitar. (I started playing guitar right after the late 60's scene - Sorry, I'm not much of a modern shred / metal fan :>)

Back
Top Bottom