Jeff Beck Live at the Hollywood Bowl just released!

@iaresee we cheat nowadays and use SetListMaker on iPads that scroll lyrics and chords and other cues... the sad part is... we need it even for original material we've played for over two decades... lol... part of getting old.
I'm on the verge of going this route.

Oh! Phish has prompters! At least Trey has one for lyrics and some of the changes. Once I found that out I became way too aware of Trey looking down while singing. They became a staple on tour around 2010 IIRC.

Pics here: http://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1375094386

I've played in jam bands / grateful dead cover bands since the early 80's... the music and spontaneity is still amazing to me... unbelievable rush to "discover" a new groove or even make up a song live with everyone in the band in total sync.

This! So hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it firsthand. For me, it's the greatest single thing about playing music.

Also, on that same podcast, Tom Marshall has said more than once that Trey has a photographic memory for the music they write. He'll be able to call up songs they've written from decades ago with no effort and bring them back to their writing sessions.

Steve Vai showed similar ability in the "My favortie riff" video I posted the other day. He's talking about a song he composed with Frank Zappa. He starts playing it and looks human for about 30 seconds as he tries to remember the changes. Says "Wow, I don't think I've played this for over 25 years." Then he fluidly plays it with no effort, reminding me that yes I am still dirt...

Steve Vai showed similar ability in the "My favortie riff" video I posted the other day. He's talking about a song he composed with Frank Zappa. He starts playing it and looks human for about 30 seconds as he tries to remember the changes. Says "Wow, I don't think I've played this for over 25 years." Then he fluidly plays it with no effort, reminding me that yes I am still dirt...

Saw him with Frank on the Joe's Garage tour.... amazing raw talent... Frank really let him do his thing on that tour.

Reasons to be cheerful...part X...Watching this again in DTS master surround...part XX...seeing JB live again next Sunday with Ann Wilson and Paul Rodgers...part XXX....VINNIE COLIUTA with the band again!!!!!! Anyone see this tour yet????

Was going to the Dallas show, but had a confluence of family medical emergencies and I'm stuck in Florida.

Beyond bummed as Beck is my favorite and Vinnie on drums makes it even worse to miss.

For those of you who have never seen him...GO! Doesn't matter what kind of music your into...if you play guitar, do yourself a favor and
see him.

Very few, (if any) guitar players have added as much to the vocabulary of electric guitar. Been thrilled with JB ever since the Yardbirds days. He has evolved not only his own playing, but mine as well. To gain an appreciation for his unique style, just try to learn one JB song (including the whammy maneuvers). I make no bones about it. No other guitar player has influenced my playing as much as he has.

Very few, (if any) guitar players have added as much to the vocabulary of electric guitar. Been thrilled with JB ever since the Yardbirds days. He has evolved not only his own playing, but mine as well. To gain an appreciation for his unique style, just try to learn one JB song (including the whammy maneuvers). I make no bones about it. No other guitar player has influenced my playing as much as he has.

Exactly! Fearless and constantly changing the boundaries of what's possible on the instrument.
I grew up on Schenker, Malmsteen, Eddie, and Satriani...but JB Changed everything for me.

When I think of a player who has total command of the instrument, Guthrie is the first to come to mind.
But when I think of a player who's fluency speaks to me in languages I sometimes hadn't even considered...it's Jeff Beck.

It's killing me not being able to see this tour...I just hope he's eating a lot of kale:)

2 days to go until I see my first full JB concert here in Austin. I have seen him 3 other times, but 2 were abbreviated sets at the first Clapton Crossroads fest in Dallas & at Beale St. Music fest in Memphis. The third was my fault. The "Wired" tour when I was a stupid teenager. The downers kicked in about 4 songs into the show and I woke up sometime around the encore. :( o_O :confused:

Got a 4th row ticket here, so it should be epic!

2 days to go until I see my first full JB concert here in Austin. I have seen him 3 other times, but 2 were abbreviated sets at the first Clapton Crossroads fest in Dallas & at Beale St. Music fest in Memphis. The third was my fault. The "Wired" tour when I was a stupid teenager. The downers kicked in about 4 songs into the show and I woke up sometime around the encore. :( o_O :confused:

Got a 4th row ticket here, so it should be epic!
Hmmm..hope you get the full set you want...I have a feeling it will be shorter than we would wish for , with two other headliners..(ann Wilson and paul Rodgers..) ..but optimistic that he will get the lions share of time...I will know on Sunday.....

Back
Top Bottom