Jeff Beck Live at the Hollywood Bowl just released!

I was prepared to hate that version of Morning Dew. It's a such a pretty song and they were coming at it from a fairly hard rock angle but...

...it was very, very good.

I was prepared to hate that version of Morning Dew. It's a such a pretty song and they were coming at it from a fairly hard rock angle but...

...it was very, very good.
The original Beck version from Truth, his first solo effort with a never -better Rod Stewart was the only version I knew for decades til I saw the dead perform it.

The original Beck version from Truth, his first solo effort with a never -better Rod Stewart was the only version I knew for decades til I saw the dead perform it.
Seminal version is, of course, this one:

Good test of a song vs. a performance. When a piece of music transcends interpretations like that it's pretty clear it's a great song and not just a great performance.

Couldn't agree more! Got to see him with Vinnie and Tal at my favorite Chicago venue (park west) about ten years ago...by the third song in it occurred to me that I will never see anything better as long as I live...and I haven't .

The "Live at Ronnie Scott's" Bluray should come with every Strat sold.

Couldn't agree more! Got to see him with Vinnie and Tal at my favorite Chicago venue (park west) about ten years ago...by the third song in it occurred to me that I will never see anything better as long as I live...and I haven't .

The "Live at Ronnie Scott's" Bluray should come with every Strat sold.
I was at that show as well! I believe that tour is when he started doing his epic arrangement of a A Day In the Life...and you’re so right about the Park West..wish Jam Productions would use the venue more these days for great shows rather than the corporate rentals it seems to do more and more..

Hey Y'all,
I have been a Beck worshiper since the early 80's. In fact I saw SRV and JB live in Worcester MA. - one of the very last shows SRV did. It was a stunning show. 30 plus years later still one of the best shows I have ever seen.

"Live at Ronnie Scott's" is a phenomenal video. If you don't own it, run to Amazon (run to your computer) and order it. It is so incredible. I know many folks have their favorite players - no issue there, but I am strongly of the mind that Jeff beck is the single greatest guitar player to ever pick up a Strat. He gets lumped in with Page (Yardbirds association I imagine) and with Clapton, but as good as those guys are, JB just has a feel and phrasing that they don't. He is the king.

Sorry if I went a little sploogie on Jeff there, but I really do love the guy.

Joe

Yes Live At Ronnie Scott's never leaves my computer disc drive.

That is such an inspirational performance by everyone.

Rare to get that kind of virtuoso talent together with zero discernible ego. Everyone looks like they truly admire each other and are inspired by each other. I use that DVD for a pick-me-up. Lifts my spirits every time.

Yes Live At Ronnie Scott's never leaves my computer disc drive.

That is such an inspirational performance by everyone.

Rare to get that kind of virtuoso talent together with zero discernible ego. Everyone looks like they truly admire each other and are inspired by each other. I use that DVD for a pick-me-up. Lifts my spirits every time.
Easily my favorite incarnation of JB’s bands.....

I was at that show as well! I believe that tour is when he started doing his epic arrangement of a A Day In the Life...and you’re so right about the Park West..wish Jam Productions would use the venue more these days for great shows rather than the corporate rentals it seems to do more and more..

I hear you about the drop off in shows...if I recall correctly that Beck show was another great show at the Park West in three week period: Derek Trucks, Michael Schenker, Chickenfoot warmup show. Seemed like back then you could catch a great club or theatre show any night of the week... Now live music is often a DJ. Despite that, I do miss the music scene a big city has to offer.

Sorry if I went a little sploogie on Jeff there, but I really do love the guy.
Hey even David Gilmour get's " sploogie" talking about Jeff Beck

I don't think it can be overstated. Both Clapton and Page have said that "when he's on ...nobody can touch Jeff"

And I think the "when he's on..." comment is telling as it partly describes what makes him great ( beside the mind blowing technique). Fearless.

If you watch him enough you will, see him go for things and occasionally miss...But more often than not he pulls it off and it's magic.
He constantly takes risk other players wouldn't consider in a live setting. That's not even talking about how he constantly experiment's with other genres.

Seminal version is, of course, this one:

Good test of a song vs. a performance. When a piece of music transcends interpretations like that it's pretty clear it's a great song and not just a great performance.

My fave version is Jazz is Dead's with Jimmy Herring. Jimmy has been showing a lot of Jeff influences recently.

Hey even David Gilmour get's " sploogie" talking about Jeff Beck

I don't think it can be overstated. Both Clapton and Page have said that "when he's on ...nobody can touch Jeff"

And I think the "when he's on..." comment is telling as it partly describes what makes him great ( beside the mind blowing technique). Fearless.

If you watch him enough you will, see him go for things and occasionally miss...But more often than not he pulls it off and it's magic.
He constantly takes risk other players wouldn't consider in a live setting. That's not even talking about how he constantly experiment's with other genres.

Never considered a guitar as a back scratcher.... obviously works. (wrt. your avatar sir)

My fave version is Jazz is Dead's with Jimmy Herring. Jimmy has been showing a lot of Jeff influences recently.
Neat. Herring is certainly a monster guitar player but I find he turns everything into The Jimmy Herring Show. WSP is a good example of this IMHO. That clip too. Lots of notes played instead of playing just the "right" ones. And I think the song suffers for missing vocals.

People ask me why I like "jam band" music so much and this ^^^ is why. I like the spontaneity and the risk involved and how, when it all works, it's really magic.

People ask me why I like "jam band" music so much and this ^^^ is why. I like the spontaneity and the risk involved and how, when it all works, it's really magic.

I've played in jam bands / grateful dead cover bands since the early 80's... the music and spontaneity is still amazing to me... unbelievable rush to "discover" a new groove or even make up a song live with everyone in the band in total sync.

I can't conceive of how the members of Phish can memorize the changes to a whole night's worth of their music lol.... Crazy amount of different grooves, chord changes and keys... just in one song.

I've played in jam bands / grateful dead cover bands since the early 80's... the music and spontaneity is still amazing to me... unbelievable rush to "discover" a new groove or even make up a song live with everyone in the band in total sync.
We have lots of extended jams in my current band and its what keeps me interested. If it was just "cover the songs like they're covered by band X" every night we played, I'd be out of there in a drum beat.

I can't conceive of how the members of Phish can memorize the changes to a whole night's worth of their music lol.... Crazy amount of different grooves, chord changes and keys... just in one song.
All the jam bands I look up fill me with that kind of awe. I can keep like a handful of complete Phish tunes in my head for quick retrieval at any time; maybe 10? And never the more complicated, composed ones like YEM or Divided Sky. That they can just pull them out like that is amazing. Trey talked a bit about how they build their set lists and stuff on the Under the Scales podcast. He builds the setlist day-of the show and won't have the final setlist together until they're ready to go into sound check. He did say, sometimes, when he pulls a tune out that they haven't played in a while someone will ask to postpone it until they can brush off the cobwebs on it.

I suppose some of their ability to do this comes from doing it as a full time job. Playing all day, every day, with the same people for years on end in the beginning probably helped.

Also, on that same podcast, Tom Marshall has said more than once that Trey has a photographic memory for the music they write. He'll be able to call up songs they've written from decades ago with no effort and bring them back to their writing sessions.

@iaresee we cheat nowadays and use SetListMaker on iPads that scroll lyrics and chords and other cues... the sad part is... we need it even for original material we've played for over two decades... lol... part of getting old.

Back
Top Bottom