IV anywhere on the horizon?

outside of a few organizational tweaks, I can't see how the AxeFX can be improved upon much from a modeling aspect. If the IV had a similar feature set of my UA Apollo X8, that would really peak my interest and might get me to use the Fractal as an interface then. Also giving us a VST block for the grid to load 3rd party stuff would be TREMENDOUS. I'm definitely happy with the III. Really wish the FM9 would resume shipping soon. My AX8 still serves me, but I really love shiny new stuff and all.

images

images

While I think the FM9 is an awesome unit, your witty, original comment can't hide the fact that its size stands out.
Agreed. FM9 stands out as the perfect size for a floor unit, with buttons far enough apart for 13 sized feet. The power is great, but I’d pay another $500 for 25% more power any day of the week.

First thing I see is the CRAMPED layout on the QC. No thanks! And are you really trying to compare the 3 button HX Stomp to the FM9?

I'm sticking with my witty original comment.

You may not have noticed that I was writing about the next generation of floor modelers. I was recommending that Fractal took into account competitors' sizes as well as the opinions of people who are not just diehard Fractal fans (just read what people are writing in this thread about how perfect everything is and how Fractal may as well just plan on selling the Axe 3 as-is for the next 800 years.)

I think the FM9 is cool beans, but it IS big comparatively speaking, and the next floor modeler would be more attractive to many people with a slimmer size. Also talking about depth here.

You may not have noticed that I was writing about the next generation of floor modelers. I was recommending that Fractal took into account competitors' sizes as well as the opinions of people who are not just diehard Fractal fans (just read what people are writing in this thread about how perfect everything is and how Fractal may as well just plan on selling the Axe 3 as-is for the next 800 years.)

I think the FM9 is cool beans, but it IS big comparatively speaking, and the next floor modeler would be more attractive to many people with a slimmer size. Also talking about depth here.
“It IS big” Huh?? What people are you talking about bro? Just how small do you/they want this thing... half the size of a cell phone? Where are you/they playing.... in a shoe box? “Talking about depth here” Huh?? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You may have not taken this into consideration, but the size is probably relative to the heat constraints of the cpu

The DSP tends to run hot, and it takes sufficient airflow to cool it. Both the FM3 and FM9 use passive cooling with fan backup. The smaller the chassis, the less airflow, and the more heat that will build up. Typically, to reduce the heat they use a slower CPU. If the CPU is slower, the modeler can't generate the sound quality because it isn't allowed to oversample as many times in the Amp and Drive blocks.

Over time we'll see faster CPUs in smaller packages, but it is getting harder and harder to reduce the size of the die because of the limits of physics, and the smaller, faster, chips can cost more. So there are a lot of tradeoffs that need to be made when reducing the size.

"There's only so much heat you can dissipate in a small chassis. Add to that the requirement for harsh environments (outside, on a hot day in direct sun) and you have to be careful. There actually is a fan in the unit but it's controlled by a thermostat and under normal conditions it doesn't run. Reliability is paramount in a product like this. You can't have it shutting down during a performance." [8]

Also, the smaller the chassis, there's less room for things like a robust power supply, forcing the use of a wall-wart. I don't want that, at all. There's nothing more fun than getting to a gig and realizing the power supply was left at home, or the previous gig, or that someone just ran over it with a dolly loaded with gear. With a standard, internal, power supply that uses an IEC power cord, it's an easy task to find a replacement, usually there's something that can be borrowed.

This is worth considering too…
"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [14]
Any future device is going to need to play into that sort of product planning.

I'm not saying to have a whole wall of Marshall stacks on a bar gig... that's totally overkill, and something Yngwie does... but c'mon. Yeah, I'm old fashioned I guess.

ff's not kiddng. i took this pic Fri., May 13th, 2022 , small town, IN, early in the day prior to yngwie flip-kicking 666 (i counted :cool: no i didn't) guitar picks to anybody choosing to pay $50 above normal ticket cost for a chance to be in range, meaning the first 4-5 rows labeled VIP SECTION,' yngwie didn't mention anything about a wish for a IV to simulate "a whole wall of marshall stacks. " :D

20220529_230852.jpg

images

images

While I think the FM9 is an awesome unit, your witty, original comment can't hide the fact that its size stands out.
Sorry but to me the fm9 got a perfect size. I can’t play live with 3 switches. Particularly if I m drunk 🤣. I need all the switch in fc12 so…. And the quad got switches too close from each other’s .

Everyone got particular needs. What is good for you is not good for everyone. Same for me hm.

The think is that the fm9 is not available in Europe since the beginning. That’s another story .

Personally I like axe edit . I don’t use the front panel . Yes it’s more entertaining to see mics in front of the cones and move them etc… but I can live without it. As the sound is all that really matter in the end, the axe 3 is the best of them all until now .

Concerning profiling, the kemper always add bees everywhere and everything sound quite the same (I owned 2 of them and have done 600 profiles with almost 10 heads ) . If fractal do whatever sound capture technique I m sure it will sound better cause globally the unit is more tight sounding

Sorry but to me the fm9 got a perfect size. I can’t play live with 3 switches. Particularly if I m drunk 🤣. I need all the switch in fc12 so…. And the quad got switches too close from each other’s .

Everyone got particular needs. What is good for you is not good for everyone. Same for me hm.

The think is that the fm9 is not available in Europe since the beginning. That’s another story .

Personally I like axe edit . I don’t use the front panel . Yes it’s more entertaining to see mics in front of the cones and move them etc… but I can live without it. As the sound is all that really matter in the end, the axe 3 is the best of them all until now .

Concerning profiling, the kemper always add bees everywhere and everything sound quite the same (I owned 2 of them and have done 600 profiles with almost 10 heads ) . If fractal do whatever sound capture technique I m sure it will sound better cause globally the unit is more tight sounding

I agree on the Kemper. It has some good tones but it is not a carbon copy machine and like you mentioned, has its annoying quirks. I sold mine. I was strictly talking about ways to one-up the competition if/when an Axe 4 is released.

What you are saying makes no sense at all. The FM9 competes with the Helix floor. The Helix floor is huge compared to the FM9 and has way less processing power. It will probably be 800 years before your favorites offer as much processing power as FAS. Silly arguments.

Helix or fm9… it’s a joke compared bringing 2 full stack for bass and guitar for a show … I have done maybe 5 gigs with one helix floor for both bass and guitar in the band and I was laughing to be able to gig with a multi effect only …
The helix is a good product for the price . Great effects, friendly, gapless … I prefer the sound of the 3 but warning with line 6 : The helix it’s pretty old now so the day they will release a new one … I had a better experience with the helix than the kemper globally

ff's not kiddng. i took this pic Fri., May 13th, 2022 , small town, IN, early in the day prior to yngwie flip-kicking 666 (i counted :cool: no i didn't) guitar picks to anybody choosing to pay $50 above normal ticket cost for a chance to be in range, meaning the first 4-5 rows labeled VIP SECTION,' yngwie didn't mention anything about a wish for a IV to simulate "a whole wall of marshall stacks. " :D

View attachment 102755
I see only 2 speakers mic'd - the rest for stage volume? - lol - that's mostly a wall of show props!

I have it on good authority from some ladies that "size doesn't matter" 🤣😜

What you are saying makes no sense at all. The FM9 competes with the Helix floor. The Helix floor is huge compared to the FM9 and has way less processing power. It will probably be 800 years before your favorites offer as much processing power as FAS. Silly arguments.

I'm sorry you're having a problem with reading. I'm done with you.

Back
Top Bottom