IV anywhere on the horizon?

The FM3 is more than an entry-level unit though. For some of us it's more about the physical size of the unit. I simply don't want to carry around anything larger than the FM3. I could certainly afford any FAS unit, but a small footprint is a premium.
Agreed. I went with the Axe-Fx 3 because floor units are no go for me, but I'd love a smaller than FM3 size "desktop" unit from Fractal that you can then expand with your preferred footswitching, whether that is FC or MIDI controllers.

For next gen I'd love to see the FM9 format go away and instead we have a powerful FM3 style unit that is expandable. I feel Fractal didn't quite nail it for this gen as the FC controllers are so damn expensive and FM3 processing power is still a limitation.

I'm sure in 1959 someone around December said "it's time for a whole new Les Paul". 1965..."I wish they'd change the Deluxe Reverb!"
When FAS gets all of the Factory Cab's into the Dyna-Cab and maybe even a way to use it with third party cabs, when they reach the end of being able to add effects into the III, when they cannot possibly improve the III anymore than it already is then they should talk IV. Much like "Rocky"...three is good!
Tired of hearing about the UI...personally I'm sick of touch screens that you barely graze and something changes or worse you get so frustrated you feel like sticking your finger thru the screen all the way thru the outputs on the back!

Tired of hearing about the UI...personally I'm sick of touch screens that you barely graze and something changes or worse you get so frustrated you feel like sticking your finger thru the screen all the way thru the outputs on the back!
Agreed. I actually have grown to like the UI. I may have grumbled a bit when I first got mine, but that was only b/c of unfamiliarity. Also, touchscreens are not really a great selling point for a floor unit. If I have lots of editing, then I'm plugging in the laptop.

Depends in what Fractal has lined up to some extent also. I get the sense their strategy for the flagship has always been to try n make sure CPU is not a limiting constraint on the quality / quantity of what they are working on. So there's that, and, I think there's possibly pent up demand for a new flagship release which they may want to tap from a business standpoint, tho they are not the type of company that will tap that just for the sake of doing so - there will be value offered. I'm a good example as I am a kitchen sinker who's maxed my 3.1 and am extending with my 2.1 (3 into 2 via s/pdif). I could get a 3.2T to probably replace both but it would still be close without a ton of cpu headroom for future goodies - so I wait for the 4 purely with CPU in mind but more than content in my current world. I'd guess lots would buy a 4 tho, even with no current specific reason at all to upgrade - just in preparation for whatever could come down the pipe - Fractal's developed a lot of trust so peeps will lay down cash for future goodies knowing that, barring some kind of u-turn in practice, they'll get value at the end of the day. Lastly, just from a business progression standpoi t, unless the modelling market collapses which I doubt it will, there will always be a next gen on the horizon - when? is the harder question to answer.

Agreed. I went with the Axe-Fx 3 because floor units are no go for me, but I'd love a smaller than FM3 size "desktop" unit from Fractal that you can then expand with your preferred footswitching, whether that is FC or MIDI controllers.

For next gen I'd love to see the FM9 format go away and instead we have a powerful FM3 style unit that is expandable. I feel Fractal didn't quite nail it for this gen as the FC controllers are so damn expensive and FM3 processing power is still a limitation.

Didn't nail what, the FM3? Because the FM9 seems to be a massive hit.

Reactions: Ole
Didn't nail what, the FM3? Because the FM9 seems to be a massive hit.
Ideally the FM9 would be unnecessary as the FM3 could be basically its horsepower, expandable with FC6 if you want more footswitches.

I don't like big floor units mainly because I can't work with floor units for editing/adjustments due to some health issues so for me desktop/stand/rack unit + foot controller is better. But I certainly don't love the size and weight of the Axe-Fx 3 either, it's so far from the "throw it in a suitcase" convenience of the FM3.

Maybe next gen.

Considering the fact that Fractal Audio is still thought to have the best amp modeling, and there's usually wait lists needed for their products,
I would say they've "nailed" everything they've set out to do so far.......
Yeah, I'm just not sure how much farther FAS needs to go. If you don't like the form factor then find something you like and buy it. I had a guy one time tell me he loved my little Porsche Boxster..."but I don't think I could ever get used to the key being on the left side..." He then pulled away in his Ford truck...
I think some people just never get satisfied and some people would rather have a Marshall Code 50 as an old 1970's Plexi...
To each his own and if Cliff springs a IV on us one day I'll give a hard look but if they keep cramming my III Turbo with new stuff I'll use it till it gets so full there is stretch marks on the case.

Ideally the FM9 would be unnecessary as the FM3 could be basically its horsepower, expandable with FC6 if you want more footswitches.

I don't like big floor units mainly because I can't work with floor units for editing/adjustments due to some health issues so for me desktop/stand/rack unit + foot controller is better. But I certainly don't love the size and weight of the Axe-Fx 3 either, it's so far from the "throw it in a suitcase" convenience of the FM3.

Maybe next gen.
Opinions…

I gigged the FM3 with an FC6 for a while. It was fine, but I prefer the one piece FM9 by a lot. I’m sure what you’re saying is right…for you. ;)

After they model the solid states amp that we are so patiently waiting for
All the models are already solid states as there are no tubes in the axe 😅
For next gen I'd love to see the FM9 format go away and instead we have a powerful FM3 style unit that is expandable
Personally I like to see a fm9 format with the exact same power as the rack unit, like the kemper stage does for kemper. With this I won’t have to buy an fc12 + rack and it is more confortable for everything.

Yeah, I'm just not sure how much farther FAS needs to go
People were saying this 8-10 years ago early in the life of the Axe2, and look at how things are now!

There's many good suggestions here for Axe4 suggestions..... I keep saying this and I know people probably hate it but.... A Profiling layer ontop of the modelling would be an endgame feature. Either completely dialed in on its own or select some basic components like an amp and let it dial in the amp/drive/choose an IR to profile the source tone. And then from there you've got full FAS control over things.

I also wonder if they would ever consider bundling a power amp for some cliff level wizardry straight into a cab.

Either way there is a never ending list of features that can (and will) be added to the FAS ecosystem, and I'm here for all of it!

I was just thinking instead of a whole new machine maybe an additional "external drive" or something to expand it that wouldn't make the III obsolete. I think when I had the FM3 there was a USB-c on it that wasn't of any use. Not sure how it would work but I'm only on my first pot of coffee...

Maybe next gen.
wait. FM9 is at least twice as powerful as FM3. The reason I've switche from FM3 to FM9 (and I also have an AXE 3) is power and portability in the same unit)

wait. FM9 is at least twice as powerful as FM3. The reason I've switche from FM3 to FM9 (and I also have an AXE 3) is power and portability in the same unit)
That's basically what I was getting at. FM9 power in a FM3-ish chassis, expandable footswitching and I/O would be a pretty great product you can use in a multitude of ways as you prefer. All on the floor like a FM9, main unit on top of a cab or on a desk with footswitch on the floor, bring just the main unit and a small MIDI controller as a fly rig etc.

The FM9 is of course not huge or anything, but big enough to not be a good desk unit and big enough to not be nice in a carryon luggage.

So for next gen, I'd love to see Fractal offer just two units: the full blown rack and a modular floor/desk unit.

Ugh- a touchscreen would be the absolute worst. Fingerprints, imprecision, viewing and using at angles... like stated above, once you get used to it, the UI works fine and is pretty quick, and perfectly precise. If you really want a touchable interface, check out FracPad III.
It'd be lovely to have the next generation of tech from Fractal to have the ability to send midi clock, and perhaps have more ability to send midi info more flexibly. I run my Microcosm in the Axe loop, and it's perfect, but I'd love to be able to control it more closely through the FC6 or 12, independently of scenes. If the Axe could send midi clock, you could have the pedal automatically sync up without an external tempo controller, and that'd be the bees knees.

Last edited:
I am a new AX3 user having just bought it in January. Having most recently come from Headrush units with a touchscreen, I can say that for those of us older users it is difficult to see the large Headrush screen (7”) with my old eyes while standing. Also, since Headrush has no desktop application, it’s hard for older users to program a Headrush unit while bending over so we must sit on the floor while using the touchscreen for extended periods while programming presets.

My point is that a touchscreen may not be best for everyone. I find its much easier to program and use my AX3 unit using AxeEdit by far! I also find the AX3 unit interface easy to use when needed while performing. However, I would love it if Cliff and his team develop a full blown AxeEdit for iPad so we could operate our units from an iPad mounted on top of our racks.

my AX3 unit is any amazing unit which will serve me well for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom