AFIII It's Showtime! David Lee Roth/Jason Becker demo cover

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
I was challenged by my old bandmate to play David Lee Roth’s song “It’s Showtime!” featuring the incredible Jason Becker. I didn’t think it was going to be possible, his playing is just so ridiculously good, but I made an attempt anyway. There were no backing tracks so I had to record over the original and just turn the track down and myself up. My rhythm guitar is panned all the way to the left, and the solo is down the center and they are louder than the original track. The recording, playing etc are not complete and I left in the mistakes, this is meant more as a demo version but I figured I’d share anyway. I stopped right after the solo, so I’ll finish it soon! The original recording is tuned down a 1/2 step, so I used a pitch block on my Axe-Fx III to do that, and you can hear a few places where it’s slightly off from Jason’s track, I’ll fix that another time. Used my Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 and again my Axe-Fx III, into Logic with no post processing. I used the same preset from @ProgressiveRocco that I used for the Megadeth cover I posted last week, just added a pitch block to tune down 1/2 step.
Man that middle section before the solo is probably the hardest part, just a tongue twister for your fingers! Have you ever attempted this one?

I remember a few years ago somebody posted a few videos of song play throughs from this album, and I remember thinking "wow, these parts are a LOT more complex than a casual listen conveys!". There's a lot going on...

I really like this album and honestly it's my favorite playing from Jason. I think he had a brilliant future in front of him and was so happy when I first heard this album.

great job buddy,what preset are you talking about?another question what headphones are you using?
I'm using a slightly modified version of ProgressiveRocco's preset which you get info on here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/80s-modded-marshall.134493/
As for the headphones, honestly I'm not sure what the model is so I can check when I get home tonight, they're nothing special. I want to get some of the Blue Microphones Mix-Fi's, but I think I want to upgrade my monitors first.

I remember a few years ago somebody posted a few videos of song play throughs from this album, and I remember thinking "wow, these parts are a LOT more complex than a casual listen conveys!". There's a lot going on...

I really like this album and honestly it's my favorite playing from Jason. I think he had a brilliant future in front of him and was so happy when I first heard this album.
I had never learned this as Jason's playing was just too much for me, took days of playing over and over and over to get to this point. It's scary to think that if ALS hadn't taken away his ability to play, he would've kept improving as a player, and he was already just astoundingly good at his age.

I'm using a slightly modified version of ProgressiveRocco's preset which you get info on here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/80s-modded-marshall.134493/
As for the headphones, honestly I'm not sure what the model is so I can check when I get home tonight, they're nothing special. I want to get some of the Blue Microphones Mix-Fi's, but I think I want to upgrade my monitors first.
ahh ok,i bought that preset too,i have the old blue mofi,sound is pretty good only thing i dont like is the headband.

Back
Top Bottom