It's Not a Tubes Only World Here ~ What Tube Amp Did You Keep??

kerrlehr

Experienced
It's not a Black or White - Tubes only, or AFX-II only world here.

Many, if not most of us will never, ever sell some of our amps. Badger and Chieftain for me. (not to mention my Solid State Roland Jazz chorus) These babies are each a part of my soul.

Which of your prior amps have you found that you simply can't part with???

Love to compile a list of these, average them, and compare the result to what we have available in our AFX-II.

I still have my Reverend Goblin 5-15. It's a great little practice amp. I keep it in the living room next to a Little Lanilei rotary cab and a couple pedals. My bigger amps are long gone ... Still thinning out the fx collection.

i would not part with my diezel VH4. while the das metall model in the axe fx ii is great, i regularly need a good ol' fix of 'amp-in-the-room'-diezel-ness :)

i would not part with my diezel VH4. while the das metall model in the axe fx ii is great, i regularly need a good ol' fix of 'amp-in-the-room'-diezel-ness :)
Interesting Wezz, as you have some NICE gear. So IYHO the Mesa's including MV all sit in line behind the Diezel.

I have a jet city 20w combo because I'm too lazy to haul my rack up and down the stairs a couple times a week. Ideally, I'd just have 2 axe II's.

I will keep my Splawn Nitro... I'm endorsing..if you know what I mean ;-)..Anyway great,punchy amp..

But man..last weekend gig..I was so high with my Axe II and Matrix power amp to my Cornford 2x12 cab setup ..So much tone..so much punch..so much feel..I can't belive my ears ! I LOVE THIS GEAR !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
Not really sure about the "most of us " statement. Why would I need to keep an amp? The AxeII either lets me play my music or it doesn't. But of course it does. No need for an amp, for me of course.

Edit: Guess I should have mentioned I have 80's Circa MusicMan112RD50. Never thought about selling it so I forget to mention it. Duh!

Last edited:
I really love the AxeFx II, but I have not sold any of my amps.

I still use them on different projects and collecting them has been a labor of love for so long, I just like having them in my studio.

Richard

I downsized a lot, but still buying selling amps. Oddly enough, just picked up a Friedman BE100 and love it. Figures since BE and HBE models are my favorite on the Axe. I also still have a PRS Dallas II and Mojo Tweed Deluxe. I keep the Dallas to have a smallish portal combo that works with pedals. The Tweed kit I built myself so while I don't really use it much it has sentimental value.

All the vintage Fenders will never go. I also keep a Vox AC15 in the stable just in case the Axe needs repair. I've purged most of my pedals though......

I still have my Bogner Shiva 20th + matching Bogner OS 2x12 cab and my Dr Z Maz jr + matching Dr Z 2x10 cab, and I don't think I will sell those. But they don't get much use now.

The Axe-FX II is simply an incredible piece of gear... I can't help but smile every time I think about it, not to mention when I plug in!

I kept my Bludotone Overdrive "Ojai"... I only sometimes miss my Bogner Ecstasy 101b, especially the "Plexi" setting and clean setting. Everything else (and I've owned dozens of amps including a real '59 Bassman, Tweed Harvard, BF Super Reverb, BF Pro Reverb, Two Rock, Fuchs, Valco, Marshall JTM45, etc. I've sold and never missed, not once.

I still an acquiring amps.
right now I have
70s Marshall 1987 plexi
80 s jcm800
1967 fender super reverb
orange or50
bogner shiva
bogner xtc
mesa triple rec
vox ac30
ada mp1

Not going anywhere:

VHT Ultra-Lead 120
Brunetti 059 (well my spare is)
Mesa Boogie Triaxis & 2:90
Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket
THD Flexi-50

Amps I like but won't be keeping:

Engl Blackmore
TomasZewicz TZ-17H Overdrive

Undecided:

Egnater Vengeance
Carvin Quad X-Amp & Mesa 50/50 (or 20/20)

Last edited:
i have a redplate blackloop 1x12 combo that isn't going anywhere. i actually just use my axe fxII in front of it for effects only. this rig sounds like god

1986 Mesa Mark III SIMUL-CLASS Exotic Hardwood long chassis head.

Mesa 2x12 EV12L

70's Fender Super Reverb

Back
Top Bottom