It's been an interesting run

Kempers which is essentially a match EQ box.

Uhm,... yeeeah.... alrighty then.

67335429.jpg

Kind of ironic when the album currently #2 on US iTunes Charts is using my IR's. :D Did not really sting as much as you had hoped for.

I'm very happy with people in this thread being open minded about the topic. I know in the past when the Axe-Fx still had something to prove everyone was getting very defensive over these threads. This is still a "I'm breaking up with you (the Axe-Fx) and I'm hooking up with this new chick (5150) who I like better" type of thread but the fact that no one feels threatened by it is a great sign. :)

I'll be the first to admit that I've said some things that I wish I could take back. On the other hand if I had to do everything all over again I'd probably do things exactly the same since it's what got me to where I am right now. Being passionate about guitar tone can oddly cause drama but if I didn't have that passion I wouldn't be good at what I do for a living.

That other forum you're talking about bashed me for years about hyping match EQ and now they all use Kempers which is essentially a match EQ box. I think that once again is quite ironic.

I've noticed I feel way better ignoring all the haters.

You misunderstand. While admittedly I care nothing for your music, IRs, production, etc., that was not what I meant.

Your unsolicited opinion is what is not needed or wanted from me. And yet, your knee-jerk narcissistic response was basically "it's perfect for me so you don't know what you're talking about and therefore you'll be back because I know what I'm talking about." And to add weight to it, you had to remind us all with full bluster that your IRs are famous.

Good for you, little buddy. I still don't care about you and your opinions. They aren't wanted here.

I specifically stated that I understand many people love the unit and I totally get it. I just don't get along with it as well as others. It's a good thing everybody isn't lock step alike though. Otherwise we might have all gotten stuck with loving Limp Bizkit. What a tragedy that would have been...

Your choice obviously but I think you are severely limiting yourself by using one amplifier now, even as nice sounding as the 5150 is. I used a Triaxis/290 for years and got so tired of the few decent sounds that I could get out of it. The Axe was like a breath of fresh air, once I figured out how to use it. To each their own I guess but I think you made a big mistake.

Why do you think that this thread was pointless from the beginning?

A user who doesn't know how to use Axe-Fx moves on.

It has no value for the community at all.

I tried to be polite and answered your question, but that was my last comment on this.

You can trust Brian knows the AxeFx in and out. This is not user error here; this is a tone search that simply ended up in a different arena.

I use and will continue to use the Axe as I feel it's indispensable. I also find it insanely inspiring as I can pretty much get close to, or nail, any tone I hear in my head within minutes. Having said there, there is merit to using and being inspired by the real life counterpart. While the majority of the population will never hear the nuanced differences between the axe and the real thing, some folks (including me on occasion) do not want to settle on something that doesn't inspire us in both feel and sound. Inspiration is key here.

I also have and use real tube amps with loadboxes (Rivera Rock Crusher here) and IR loaders (CABLAB plugin with OwnHammer IRs) and whether we want to admit it or not, there is a difference. At the moment, I'm inspired by my 2 channel Mesa Recto as I haven't used it in this context up until recently. I suppose next week I'll be inspired by something only the axe can offer.

Also, I own and operate a studio and have folks that need tones that they simply cannot achieve with their gear. While most folks can be skeptical (unless they actually came to me for my AxeFX knowledge) once they start playing it, their face usually lights up in disbelief. Being able to satisfy both types of customers is key for me. Only the Axe can give me this wide palette of tones and versatility. Nothing else even comes close in my experience.

@Speculum Speculorum : I just wanted to thank you for your insights over the years. As a fellow sound chaser or tone chaser, I am very happy you found the eureka moment with that new amp. I always find those special little amps to have a different feel to them for want of a better description. Thanks so much for your words of wisdom over the years.

I really like my AX8 and the Ultra and II before that, but I've recently rediscovered the joy and simplicity of just plugging into a good tube amp and getting a handful of great tones with little to no tweaking. I'm now thinking of going the same route as you and getting an FX8.

I'm not going to say anyone is right or wrong. Like others have said- play what you want, buy what makes you happy. I have seen it here before, and I will say that I don't really understand the purpose of the " I'm leaving you" thread...
...well if it encourages manufactures to improve their products then maybe it's a good thing? If everybody said AxeFX was as good as a real amp and finished at FW10 (and many did), we may not have what we have now. hopefully the improvements will keep coming...

But at the same time, I always felt like the axe fx had a certain sound that I just couldn't escape.
My AF2 is my absolute favorite piece of gear I have ever purchased...ever but I can identify with you on this. As much as I love, love, love my Axe there are some things I just can't figure out how to do or get around. The issues I keep running into are:
1- I can't ever seem to get that airy bite I love in tube amps, not fizz but the sizzle.
2- I always have a hard time dialing in sustain vs. gain, to get the sustain I want I end up having to dial more gain than I want to get the sustain I do.
3- it seems I keep running into this weird midrange, either a brassy or honky sound or sometimes almost like a cocked wah. This to me goes along with that "certain sound" you mentioned.
4-I can't ever get it to feel as open or organic I want it, the tones I get always seem too focused or "compressed" granted I deal more with high gain sounds but I've been diving more and more into clean and edge of break up tones in my churches P&W band.

All of that said its still my favorite purchase of musical gear...ever and as much as I would like to learn how to get around these (if anyone knows, all suggestions are welcome) what I get from it by far out weighs these negatives.

I do wish you well in your next phase of your journey, and thank you for your contributions up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom