Is this possible in Logic??

Yep. You can record a track at a lower speed and then play it back at normal speed. It's called 'varispeed' and you can slow or speed up by a certain percentage.

It's enabled as a button on the transport bar with incremental + and - adjustments. I can't remember the exact window to edit the transport bar options, but search the help files for varispeed and you should be good.

Edit:

that's cool - i never knew that existed. if you record some audio at 75% speed, what happens when you return to 100% for playback? is the audio pitch shifted? does it sound ok?

Pablo Gilberto used this technique on "I understand completely": Paul Gilbert - I Understand Completely - YouTube. I know a dude who spent 6 months of his life trying to learn how to pick this fast. Really stubborn fella, nearly gone insane, but did not achieve the ludicrous speed (did improve his speed overall, though, so it wasn't entirely a waste of time). Years later I emailed Paul and he said his sound engineer had sped it up just for kicks. :lol

that's cool - i never knew that existed. if you record some audio at 75% speed, what happens when you return to 100% for playback? is the audio pitch shifted? does it sound ok?

It's not pitch shifted.

I recorded a drum take once before using this technique at 10% slower, and although it took a while to play back (due to manipulation of the digital audio files) it sounded fine. This was only at 10% difference though. I don't know if you record at 50% how true the upper harmonics of complex material is going to be, but if you're recording guitar the solution would be to record wet and dry at 50%, and reamp the dry when playing back at 100%.

Nuances may be lost though.

It's an interesting exercise, bearing in mind the impossibility of playing it live! :D

There is an option to pitch shift at the same time. Another useful feature is the speed fade/slowdown function which can be used on a region.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom