Is there any significant advantage to FAS expression pedals and humbuster cables vs competition?

Why not just get the SP-2 then? Though it looks out of stock/not available anywhere rn
The SP-1 can be used with autoengage, but (for blocks using AE) the switch would need to control something other than a bypass modifier. For example: shunt parallel to effect, both routed into a multiplexer w/ switch assigned input select modifier.

If you can deal with that, the SP-1 is more versatile IMO. It lets the switch actually do something within the preset when pressed, like toggle blocks with a bypass modifier, or toggle other parameters in the middle of a part where you're controlling something with the pedal.

I can speak to the quality of Fractal expression pedals. As has been noted, they are a different (longer) throw than a Mission / Crybaby style pedal, and some people prefer the Mission pedals for that purpose. I have a pair of Fractal EV-1 pedals on my main touring board, and a pair of Fractal EV-2 pedals on my FM3 board. The Fractal pedals are the best-engineered expression pedals I have ever encountered. I have used MIDI rigs since the 80s, and have used a large number of expression pedals from various manufacturers. The gearing, precision response, and durability of the Fractal pedals is unparalleled. I do have a couple of Mission controllers that I formerly used as wah controller pedals, but I found that the Fractal pedals are more to my liking as a general expression pedal, and it didn't take much time for me to adjust to the feel of the Fractal EV series for wah.
That said, my Mission controllers have switches in them, and they were handy for switching the wah on / off. I have developed a preference to keep the switches separate from the expression controllers. My wah auto-engages, so I don't need a switch for that, and for everything else, I can engage a switch without changing the position of the controller pedal.

I have three EV2 pedals (one is now a spare) for controller duty and one Mission CryBaby style pedal for wah. I could sub the spare EV2 for the Mission doing wah duty for short term use, but I would order another Mission (or fix the old one) and return the extra EV2 to the shelf as soon as possible afterwards....

Why not just get the SP-2 then? Though it looks out of stock/not available anywhere rn
No longer made.
Do I understand it right that in order for FM3 to be able to set up the switch as a tap, the switch needs to be momentary in its factory configuration, while a latching physical switch would only be detected as a hold switch?
Not really.

Both Tap and Hold work with momentary switches.

A momentary switch is either normally opened: the switch state change is "detected" when its circuit closes (also called momentary make, because pressing it makes a complete circuit) or normally closed: the switch state change is detected when its circuit opens (also called a momentary break, because pressing it breaks the circuit).

With a momentary switch, a press and release is one "cycle": the switch goes from it's default state, to the opposite state and back.

For example, a normally open momentary switch goes:

open -> (press) closed -> (release) open.

A latching switch requires two presses to complete a full cycle.

For example, a normally open latching switch goes:

open -> (press) closed -> (release) latched closed until pressed again
closed -> (press) open -> (release) latched open until pressed again

So, except for some limited use cases, latching doesn't really work well for the switching done on Fractal.

Sorry for the long answer - hopefully it makes sense? I rewrote it a few times to try and be clearer.

Somebody else might be able to provide a more concise answer :)

Momentary or dual tap and hold functions are not possible with latching switches, so momentary switches are more flexible. That said, most folks use expression pedal toe switches in a latching manner anyway (no way hold the switch and move the pedal), so a latching toe switch would likely be just fine for most users.

Momentary or dual tap and hold functions are not possible with latching switches, so momentary switches are more flexible. That said, most folks use expression pedal toe switches in a latching manner anyway (no way hold the switch and move the pedal), so a latching toe switch would likely be just fine for most users.
But the switch can still be detected as a single tap and for example be assigned as a control switch to turn the wah on and change some other settings on the FM3 right? Thats all I need out of it basically.

But the switch can still be detected as a single tap and for example be assigned as a control switch to turn the wah on and change some other settings on the FM3 right? Thats all I need out of it basically.
The FM3 is looking for a brief interruption (open then close) of the signal from the switch to perform a function. With one press of a latching switch, it will stay open (essentially the same as pressing and holding a momentary switch) and requires a second press to close again. Because of this, a latching switch will need to be pressed twice to accomplish most functions in FAS devices. This is why momentary switches tend to work better with FAS devices.

The SP-2 typically requires using the Auto Engage feature to engage/bypass blocks. The switch merely changes which jack on the pedal is active, it really has nothing to do with engaging/bypassing blocks in the FM3.

This is a bit tangential, but ought to be noted: when I purchased my FM3 from the website (I'm US-based), I added two humbuster cables to my shopping cart, and it increased the shipping price by >$35.00! Considering the cables were only $40 total and may add one lb. in all to the shipping weight, that's quite a shipping premium. (I think the FM3 shipping, alone, was roughly the same, but that's understandable, with the weight, insurance, etc.)

I removed the cables, and the shipping dropped by $35; added them back on, and the $35 additional shipping returned. NOTE: I'm only pointing this out as I believe it's gotta be a coding glitch on the website, and probably costing Fractal a bit of business, since it nearly doubles the price of the humbuster cables in effect. FWIW, etc.

Shipping costs have gotten stupid expensive lately. Amazon has us all spoiled with their "free" shipping.

Momentary switches typically work better for Stand In switches since that is the expected switch behavior. However with Control switches, you can set them to Momentary action which will ironically make it follow a latching switch correctly. You can also assign a latching switch directly as a modifier source and control things in a latching manner that way as well.

Momentary switches typically work better for Stand In switches since that is the expected switch behavior. However with Control switches, you can set them to Momentary action which will ironically make it follow a latching switch correctly. You can also assign a latching switch directly as a modifier source and control things in a latching manner that way as well.
So in effect it doesnt matter which pedal I get because it can all be set up every which way in the FM3 anyways right?

This is a bit tangential, but ought to be noted: when I purchased my FM3 from the website (I'm US-based), I added two humbuster cables to my shopping cart, and it increased the shipping price by >$35.00! Considering the cables were only $40 total and may add one lb. in all to the shipping weight, that's quite a shipping premium. (I think the FM3 shipping, alone, was roughly the same, but that's understandable, with the weight, insurance, etc.)

I removed the cables, and the shipping dropped by $35; added them back on, and the $35 additional shipping returned. NOTE: I'm only pointing this out as I believe it's gotta be a coding glitch on the website, and probably costing Fractal a bit of business, since it nearly doubles the price of the humbuster cables in effect. FWIW, etc.
Yeah that sounds like a glitch in the backend software. There should be no increase in shipping because they can put the cables in the FM3 box.

I'll notify sales.

So in effect it doesnt matter which pedal I get because it can all be set up every which way in the FM3 anyways right?

It does depending on how you want to use the switch. Latching switches can only ever work as latching switches. Momentary switches can be configured to work either way. Preferred choice would be a momentary switch, but a latching switch can still work if all you need is a latching or toggle action.

when I purchased my FM3 from the website (I'm US-based), I added two humbuster cables to my shopping cart, and it increased the shipping price by >$35.00
THANK YOU for this information. Checking our 3rd party system, we found that they had recently implemented a number of changes that require our attention. We're working through it now. I've also sent you a special offer in a private message.

Back
Top Bottom