Is there any significant advantage to FAS expression pedals and humbuster cables vs competition?

I want to get either one of the FAS EV expression pedals to pair with my FM3, there are cheaper alternatives on the market, what would justify the higher price of the FAS pedals? Same for the humbuster cables.

Is there any tangible difference (eg smoothness of pedal, comfort on foot, sensitivity, tuning options, build quality, etc) that would make them distinctly different in say a blind test? If not, what would be a solid alternative thats compatible with the FM3? I want just one pedal for use as a whammy/wah/volume depending on the preset.
And whats the use case for the humbuster cables?

EDIT: Additional question, will exp pedals with switches work with FM3? How is the switch function controlled/set up in the FM3 for such use?
Talking about something like this:1699384190763.png

Thanks

Last edited:
The EV pedals are very well engineered and smooth/precise.

They have a fairly long "throw" as opposed to the Mission pedals, but I prefer Mission for Wah since it's essentially identical to a Dunlop/Crybaby chassis.

I don't like the switches but some do.

You'll be required to use 2 pedal jacks - one for the expression pedal and one for the switch.

The switch can be used for anything any other external switch can do.

However, note that they are latching switches and mostly for Fractal you'll want momentary.

And whats the use case for the humbuster cables?
That's explained in the manual next to the description of how to build a Humbuster, and in Section 4 when connecting to separate/outboard equipment like mixers, guitar and power-amps and pedals that are A/C powered.

This is from the Humbuster page in the Wiki…

Humbuster is Fractal Audio's electronics design for reducing unwanted noise that is caused by ground loops.

It requires the use of Humbuster cables with Humbuster-compatible output ports on Fractal Audio devices. All 1/4" outputs on the Axe-Fx II, III, FM3, FM9, FX8 and AX8 are Humbuster-compatible. Read this: Connections and levels.

"Won't do anything for pickup hum. It just fights ground loops." [1]
"Humbuster cables do not eliminate noise. Humbuster cables in conjunction with Humbuster outputs can significantly reduce hum due to ground loops. The outputs of Fractal Audio products have a special circuit that, in conjunction with a Humbuster cable, senses the difference in ground potential between the devices and cancels the difference thereby reducing hum. It's certainly not snake oil and you can find numerous testimonials on our forum that speak for the effectiveness." [2]

However, note that they are latching switches and mostly for Fractal you'll want momentary.
Why so? Ill use it as a whammy that when the switch is activated, would disable the whammy and enable the wah, isnt that exactly the purpose of a latching switch?

Why so? Ill use it as a whammy that when the switch is activated, would disable the whammy and enable the wah, isnt that exactly the purpose of a latching switch?
There are some tutorials on how to set up the Mission SP-1 (in your post) to work as you've described here. It does require a volume block and wah block in the preset.

The SP-1 can be modified to act as a two channel expression pedal (SP-2) which would allow you to use the Auto Engage feature to engage/bypass the blocks attached to each channel of the pedal.

The SP-1 can be modified to act as a two channel expression pedal (SP-2) which would allow you to use the Auto Engage feature to engage/bypass the blocks attached to each channel of the pedal.
Why not just get the SP-2 then? Though it looks out of stock/not available anywhere rn

The modeler works better with momentary
Are there any pedals with momentary switches? Seems like its not something thats explicitly stated or is common.

Mission Engineering makes a version of at least one of theirs with a momentary switch. I have the SP-25M Aero, which is momentary. The SP-25L Aero is the latching version.

Mission Engineering makes a version of at least one of theirs with a momentary switch. I have the SP-25M Aero, which is momentary. The SP-25L Aero is the latching version.
Do I understand it right that in order for FM3 to be able to set up the switch as a tap, the switch needs to be momentary in its factory configuration, while a latching physical switch would only be detected as a hold switch? Tbh this part is really confusing as I dont fully understand the abstraction between the physical switch on the pedal and how its detected and set up in the FM3.

Do I understand it right that in order for FM3 to be able to set up the switch as a tap, the switch needs to be momentary in its factory configuration, while a latching physical switch would only be detected as a hold switch?
I think so? Others will be able to answer that better, but I'm not sure a latching switch would make sense for any sort of tap application.

I know there are possible uses where either switch type will do. For example, I have mine set to switch a wah block and a volume block in and out of bypass - the blocks are set up with opposite configurations so when one bypasses the other switches on. This specifically can be done with either a momentary or latching switch, configuring the switch to either be a 'Virtual Toggle' or 'Follow Hardware' respectively.

The throw is a big difference.
The throw on an EV-2 is perfect IMO. Wide enough for fine control of volume or rate, but small enough to do a wah or whammy and not feel at all clumsy. When I switch to a Mission or a real Cry-Baby, it almost feels too tight. That extra throw is also backed by a really nice potentiometer, which helps ensure, for instance, that you don't need to THINK about where to put your foot. What you feel is what you hear.

As for Humbuster™ cables, the ones at https://shop.fractalaudio.com are of excellent quality. The only reason I refer people to https://btpa.com is when something special is needed: custom length, a snake, custom colors, etc.

The throw on an EV-2 is perfect IMO. Wide enough for fine control of volume or rate, but small enough to do a wah or whammy and not feel at all clumsy. When I switch to a Mission or a real Cry-Baby, it almost feels too tight. That extra throw is also backed by a really nice potentiometer, which helps ensure, for instance, that you don't need to THINK about where to put your foot. What you feel is what you hear.
It's all what you're used to. I like the EV pedals. I have two of each. Two friends that played my rig both commented about the trow of the pedal being too much. They are used to Dunlop...
Neither is better.

And, stop quoting me out of context.

Boss FS-7 Dual Footswitch. (Not a pedal, but dual footswitches.) Can be set to momentary or latch. I have one of these and used this with other equipment with great success. I have not had a free minute to connect this to my FM9 and experiment with it yet. Maybe others here have. (BTW, I am not affiliated with Boss / Roland in any way, just a user of some of their products.)

Boss FS-7 Dual Footswitch

I have two of Fractal's EV-2 and like them. Sometimes, when I don't have enough space in the accessory pocket of my bag, because of cables and what-not, I'll use my Dunlop (X) Mini pedal(s) instead. They're a bit smaller, but they're also lighter so they're likely to be moved by the TRS cable instead of vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom