Is there an equivalent of "USB Return Level" on the III?

h.c.e.

Power User
Sorry if this has been covered before, I've exhaustively searched the manual, and did a search around the forum first, but...

Is there an equivalent on the III to the II's "USB RETURN LEVEL" parameter?

I use my AxeFX with headphones and I'd rather not constantly chase the individual app audio levels with their sliders (if an app even has one). On the II I had my return level set at -17 (dB?) to keep what is the normal levels of apps internally when used with built in speakers from then blowing my head off when I had the AxeFX acting as the sound card. AxeFX (both II and III are generally about about 50% output level for my particular headphones (Blue MoFi's), and that -17 setting kept the computer audio just a touch quieter than my guitar, which is about what I'd want for playing along to things)... I saw in the manual there's the trick of using the Audio MIDI Setup.app on the Mac to send the speaker config to go over Outputs 3+4 (so you can then have OUT 2 level control from the front panel knob), which would be fine, but since I'm using the front headphone jack I can't monitor Output 2.

Not a show stopper of an issue, just curious if there's a way to bring down the USB output volume sent to OUT 1+2 any before it hits the physical OUT 1 volume control on the front panel... thanks!

There is an Input USB block which is channels 7+8 of the Axe III USB interface. That block can attenuate down -20db.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not though.

There is an Input USB block which is channels 7+8 of the Axe III USB interface. That block can attenuate down -20db.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not though.
Hmm, yeah, I mean, that's a work around as you can "Configure Speakers... " in "Audio MIDI Setup.app", select, "OUT 7 [In U Block L]" and "OUT 8 [In U Block R]" for "Left front" and "Right front" respectively, and then add an "IN U" block and connect it to "OUT1" block... Just tested and that does work, unfortunately this has to be setup for every preset, and also would require remembering to disable the IN U block when recording guitar in Logic as any computer audio would now getting mixed into the In 1-2 that the DAW sees from the OUT1 block, which doesn't happen in the default setup. Just an FYI for anyone trying that method... I'll probably just continue to ride the iTunes and youtube volume sliders for now ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Tim

The USB levels in the I/O menu are only for the USB channels coming back to the Axe FX from your computer, like tracks from your DAW or music from YouTube or whatever. The live monitoring signal from the grid is unaffected.

Back
Top Bottom