Is there a way to protect Factory Presets such that hitting "Save" forces a prompt to "Save As" into a different (empty) location?

Agree with everyone here. Save to a New Preset if that original preset is important to backup.

HOWEVER if you’re tweaking as part of experimenting then Snapshots are your friend. Hit that button frequently and you can easily jump backward & forward among your edits. It’s the best way to track changes and see if they work for your purposes.

Personally I would find a second click to save on FM-Edit would drive me crazy and totally unnecessary given the existing functionality

Don’t do that, learn to use the Snapshot tool in the editor, it’s made for this. It’s the camera icon.

Just before you begin editing click the camera. Every time you reach what you think is a reasonable improvement click it again. If you don’t like a particular change you can click the reveal triangle below the camera icon and select a previously saved version and it’ll revert to that version. You can jump forward and back to compare versions. When you are happy with the changes THEN click Save. If you want to save intermediate changes, perhaps as a template or for further improvements later, you can drag an incremental change from that directory and save it somewhere else, then import it as a separate preset.
Sure, snapshots do the auto-date-stamp thing, easy.

But that doesn't tell you which of those versions has that other cab you liked, or that cab with just a little less proximity and the new drive, or most importantly, which is your favorite.

It even prevents you from trying to cram that info into the preset name. Still a great tool, but not a panacea.

The problem isn't only the save, it's keeping track of all those versions.

Or, you could Commit (tm). Some of my favorite producers and artists live that way, on purpose, not because their tools don't have snapshots.

Last edited:
Greg's bit about using the snapshot tool is very interesting, I have not used that feature. I'll definitely have to check that feature out.

One thing that was referred to earlier, and that I have always wished modelers would have, is a small description / note field that would be saved within each preset where you could document pertinent info on the preset. Filenames are too limited to convey everything you might want to know about some presets. I don't know how difficult that would be to do or how much memory & resources that would consume but it sure would be handy.

Personally I would find a second click to save on FM-Edit would drive me crazy and totally unnecessary given the existing functionality
Me too.

Save to a new preset location before you start editing. That's just plain old good practice anyway.

One thing that was referred to earlier, and that I have always wished modelers would have, is a small description / note field that would be saved within each preset where you could document pertinent info on the preset. Filenames are too limited to convey everything you might want to know about some presets.
That's a longstanding wish. Though I don't know whether it's ever been posted as an actual wish.

Agree with everyone here. Save to a New Preset if that original preset is important to backup.

HOWEVER if you’re tweaking as part of experimenting then Snapshots are your friend. Hit that button frequently and you can easily jump backward & forward among your edits. It’s the best way to track changes and see if they work for your purposes.

A setting in the editor could be used to make this optional for those who would want it.

Back
Top Bottom