An idea for Axe-Edit: Notes

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master

Usually when I think of something brilliant it's been done, so I'm guessing the alchemists at FAS have already got this covered..

I could really use a notes section where I could jot down things about the preset, scenes, songs, markers in DAW, other sundry items, right in the preset itself, to keep things organized.

Perhaps it could be its own pop-out and/or visible as a free text field when (Nothing Selected).

Anyone else might find that useful?

Why not just use a word processor or notepad?

I dont know if it's plausible for the unit to display the text as well, but it would be great since separate docs could get lost and are devoid of system backups or live inspiration. e.g. During soundcheck, an idea is born, you start creating a patch, and then you're interrupted by the call to leave the stage. But for studio use, we'd be creating hundreds of patch variations for a single album recording. Creating notes of all settings for future use would be easier to say '+10db on 10,000hz for track 1, 7,000hz for track 2' etc.

Some of this could be considered all-in-one syndrome, but then the axe II is already all in one :p

This has been suggested before. I like the idea. It would be particularly useful for sharing patches on axechange as a place to explain how the scenes and controllers are set up etc.

can a sysex file store text (other than the filename etc) that can be directed to a "text" window in another program?

+1 If it's technically feasible, it would be much easier to keep notes *with* the patch, than somewhere else. Especially for sharing patches, but also because sometimes I rearrange them in the Axe or rename them, and then separate notes (in Word, or in my DAW) don't always correspond any more. I love the comments people add on Axechange -- for example what each scene and controller does, etc -- it would be great to have those to reference w/out having to find it online.

I don't know if a syx file can support this, but we can always wish... :)

Reactions: sam
I'd say its technically feasible, but I'm guessing that storing notes with a preset would dramatically increase it's footprint and the storage required on the Axe-II. I'd rather see Cliff use that storage for more development enhancement.. but that's me :)

I dont know if it's plausible for the unit to display the text as well, but it would be great since separate docs could get lost and are devoid of system backups or live inspiration. e.g. During soundcheck, an idea is born, you start creating a patch, and then you're interrupted by the call to leave the stage. But for studio use, we'd be creating hundreds of patch variations for a single album recording. Creating notes of all settings for future use would be easier to say '+10db on 10,000hz for track 1, 7,000hz for track 2' etc.

Some of this could be considered all-in-one syndrome, but then the axe II is already all in one :p

The idea isn't to have the unit display text notes, just Axe-Edit.

The idea isn't to have the unit display text notes, just Axe-Edit.

so Axe-Edit would have to store that text data somehow and link it with a particular sysex file or preset data from the axe that is transferable among everyone's different machines?

i think it'd have to be stored with the file that goes on the axe itself.

so the Axe would have to strip them somehow when loading that sysex to the unit?

Sure why not. Im not a programmer. Im not a technician. Im not a sound engineer. I'm not trying to argue that it can be done or suggest how it should be done. I'm not that kind of user. I'm a UAV pilot that plays guitar with nifty toys in his spare time, and I thought this might be a good idea, so I suggested it. I pulled the pin on a thought grenade and threw it over the wall. FAS can dive on it or not.

I deem this answer considerably below your intelligence level, so I'm assuming it's on purpose ;)

I also assume it is not the best way or possible to add any or all notes to the preset file, so you'd need the overhead of adding in a built-in database system (e.g. SQLite), while you have better things to do.

However, I think a great compromise could be that when AxeChange is connected to AxeEdit again, that at least you can have the 'info' field turn up inside AxeEdit, so we'll have a clue what the preset is doing w/o actually going to the AxeChange page.

Also, this may motivate people to put all their presets on AxeChange, which I suppose is good and bad...

In any case, it's a huge bummer and loss of time to have to visit a page or keep your own notes.
I think that should be very obvious.
I do recommend your own file as an extra and for all info you want to have "forever" in one safe place.

Last edited:
Sure why not. Im not a programmer. Im not a technician. Im not a sound engineer. I'm not trying to argue that it can be done or suggest how it should be done. I'm not that kind of user. I'm a UAV pilot that plays guitar with nifty toys in his spare time, and I thought this might be a good idea, so I suggested it. I pulled the pin on a thought grenade and threw it over the wall. FAS can dive on it or not.

yup, just trying to talk it out in terms of actually making it possible.

I proposed something like this in the past: an expansion to the preset SysEx spec that could include comments, usage notes, suggested cabs, and any other metadata that would pertain to an individual preset.

There would be smarts in Axe-Edit and Axe-Change (and eventually in the Axe-FX III) that could display and manipulate the data. Strip off the metadata, and you would be back to fully-compliant SysEx code.

The expanded SysEx would include fields for common aspects like author, musical genre, guitar used, event the preset was applied to and related items, as well as a free-form comments field. All fields would be viewable and searchable.

I think that would be very useful.

yup, just trying to talk it out in terms of actually making it possible.

Chris I noticed you edited your post after I quoted and responded, which is cool. I kinda had to suppress the feeling that an offer proffered had to be defended like a doctoral dissertation. Seems like that happens a lot around here. Say something and get ready to rumble I guess.

Again as a non-technical user (at least to the extent of some of the super-smart guys here) it would seem to me that the very small size of a sysex file would allow for a general text field. As you said Axe-Edit would have to pull that text from and display it. I'm wondering if that is so difficult, considering everything else that little file does. Think of the communicative value - notes on parameters, scenes, blocks, suggestions for global parameters that worked best....

Also, thanks again to you specifically as a contributor. I wouldn't have gotten my gear working properly without your video tutorials.

The editor for the Little Giant midi footswitch has a notes section.

It's über easier than wrangling two apps and two files. Make a change, edit your note, done.
It's no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom