Is there a way to control either Wah or Rotary using only 1 expression pedal depending on Scene selections within a Preset?

chime13

Greetings

Currently, my FM9 Preset is configured with a Wah Block in (AutoEngage) mode and a Rotary Block.
I cannot find a way to bypass the Wah in order to control the speed of the Rotary in a different Scene within the Preset that doesn’t use the Wah.
The moment I press the pedal, the Wah engages even though it is bypassed in that particular scene.
Thanks

I think there's a couple different ways to do it....the way I do it with the wah and wammy is run them both into an m-plex block, and switch between them with a footswitch on the FC12 that lets me choose which one I want no matter what scene I'm on.
I was trying to avoid using an additional footswitch.
IMHO - It would be simpler if there was a "hard bypass" for a Block so it can't be activated within a programmed Scene.
It's the AutoEngage setting thats messing me up.

Somebody will probably chime in with another way...that's just one of them......you could always use the hold function on a switch......are all those taken?

As long as you're not planning on using the Wah and Rotary in the same scene, which appears to be the intended use, you can assign the modifier to a single channel in both blocks (Top right in the Modifier window)

As an example using Scenes 1 and 2, assign the modifier with Auto-Engage on to Channel 'A' of the Wah and Rotary blocks. Set the 'Off Value' to when you want each block to be bypassed.

In Scene 1, select Channel 'A' of the Wah block and any other channel of the Rotary block and bypass the Rotary block.

In Scene 2, select Channel 'A' of the Rotary block and any other channel in the Wah block, again bypassing the Wah block in Scene 2.

This will allow you to use one expression pedal to control two different effects independently from each other within a preset.

Your goal isn't quite clear but this is the simplest version I could come up with.

Since you want to avoid using an additional footswitch…
  • Scene 1 enables the Wah automatically. The modifier on the control sets External 1 to control the wah effect.
  • Scene 2 bypasses the Wah and enables the Rotary. The Rate uses a modifier pointing to External 1.
If you want a block to auto-bypass then define the bypass/engage slope in a modifier attached to the Bypass button:

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 2.36.56 PM.png

The Mid value determines when the block engages. Currently, at 98% it'll turn on as soon as the pedal moves into the upper 98% of toe-down, or, said differently, it'll bypass when it's within 2% of being fully heel-down.

You can't use the built-in Auto Engage in both modifiers because it'll be watching for the pedal to move and will enable the block, even if the scene is telling it that it should be bypassed, in other words, the modifier will override the Scene setting. You can set the Auto Engage in the Rotary and not in the Wah if you want; The wah is a more obvious sound when it engages because it cuts the highs, whereas, if the rotary engages, if the heel is down it's not rotating so you'll get the normal sound of the guitar, or really close to it, depending on where the horn stops its rotation.

Note: Real Leslie units don't have a smooth ramp from 0Hz to 10Hz. Instead, they have set speeds with a ramp up/down as the speeds change, and that is an important part of making the block sound right. See my implementation of a Rotary block that follows the settings in the repair manual mostly; I increased the speed for the ramp change because the default 5 seconds is too long for my tastes.

The attached preset doesn't have the modifier set, so you'll have to assign it if you want to test.

Attachments

• wahrotary.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your goal isn't quite clear but this is the simplest version I could come up with.

Since you want to avoid using an additional footswitch…
  • Scene 1 enables the Wah automatically. The modifier on the control sets External 1 to control the wah effect.
  • Scene 2 bypasses the Wah and enables the Rotary. The Rate uses a modifier pointing to External 1.
Bingo! This is exactly the behavior I was looking for.
Thank you @Greg Ferguson!

PS - The site blocked me from posting your complete response...thought I was spamming. That's why the tiny snippet - Thanks again!

Bingo! This is exactly the behavior I was looking for.
You might want to adjust the minimum and maximum values for the Rotary’s Rate modifier to the minimum and maximum values in my block I linked to. Channel A is the slow speed and B is the high speed. Doing so will make heel down be the normal slow speed and toe down will be the high speed.

The reason I recommend that is, as I mentioned before, when the rotary isn’t turning it still affects the guitar’s sound varying amounts so it could change when you switch scenes. It might be more appealing to you to have the rotary spinning when the screen switches so it’s obvious it’s the rotary.

You might want to adjust the minimum and maximum values for the Rotary’s Rate modifier to the minimum and maximum values in my block I linked to. Channel A is the slow speed and B is the high speed. Doing so will make heel down be the normal slow speed and toe down will be the high speed.

The reason I recommend that is, as I mentioned before, when the rotary isn’t turning it still affects the guitar’s sound varying amounts so it could change when you switch scenes. It might be more appealing to you to have the rotary spinning when the screen switches so it’s obvious it’s the rotary.
I'll look into that and heed your advice- Thank you.
ATM - I'm still familiarizing myself with the unit and its mostly infinite configuration capabilities.
MindBlowing!

I was trying to do the same thing but using volume and delay on the same expression pedal. I gave up and put the delay on an empty footswitch using the hold function.

another solution is to run a line round the wah pedal and put a multiplexer after. then use the multiplexer channels to choose which row you want to use in which scene. use the wah row and you can use autoengage as normal. use the shunt row and you can use the expression for rotary speed. hope that makes sense! (use the mixer if you don't have the multiplexer in the FM9)

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 09.19.42.png

I was trying to figure out a way to have a different modifier on two different scenes with one Exp pedal.
One scene is a simple volume control using exp pedal 1 and the other scene would be used to turn on and off a filter block. FM edit gave me an error saying something like I could only use one modifier per Exp pedal.

I was trying to figure out a way to have a different modifier on two different scenes with one Exp pedal.
One scene is a simple volume control using exp pedal 1 and the other scene would be used to turn on and off a filter block. FM edit gave me an error saying something like I could only use one modifier per Exp pedal.
We probably need to see inside the preset. We can imagine too many ways that you might have tried wiring it up to be able to make accurate guesses, and your description doesn’t give us any hints.

sounds to me like you're doing it in reverse. you can assign an expression pedal or switch to as many parameters as you like within a preset, but it sounds like you're trying to assign modifiers (maybe?) to an expression pedal. i think you might need to read the manual or watch a video about it, just to clarify how it works

Yes, I'm assigning modifiers to my expression pedal. I use it for volume control. But when I assign another modifier (filter bypass) to the pedal on another scene, that modifier takes over the volume modifier.

Yes, I'm assigning modifiers to my expression pedal. I use it for volume control. But when I assign another modifier (filter bypass) to the pedal on another scene, that modifier takes over the volume modifier.
sorry, but that makes no sense. you can assign the expression to both parameters and any number of others at the same time. i think you're using the wrong method. if you're in the uk/eu, i can give you a quick runthrough on zoom on how to do it properly, otherwise have a look on youtube

Yes, I realize I can assign any number of parameters at the same time. But I need the volume modifier to be ignored or disengaged at the same time the filter modifier is enabled.

Back
Top Bottom