Is There A Polyphonic Synth for AxeFx III?

I don't believe that uses polyphonic pitch detection. I believe those products use waveform morphing.
Processing the original signal into something synth-like is attractive to me.

No delay or tracking issues, inherently polyphonic, and most importantly, keeps your touch inflections, where an actual synth needs some other back-channel controller setup to allow even that "artificial" one-dimensional level of difference between notes.

dumb and dumber click the image for a smaller version GIF

Processing the original signal into something synth-like is attractive to me.

No delay or tracking issues, inherently polyphonic, and most importantly, keeps your touch inflections, where an actual synth needs some other back-channel controller setup to allow even that "artificial" one-dimensional level of difference between notes.
Crank a fuzz to 11, filter to taste.

Crank a fuzz to 11, filter to taste.
That's actually sort of one approach. You put the signal into a comparator which generates a square wave. Filter the square wave and then use an envelope on the filtered square wave with the original input as the input to the envelope detector.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of these gadgets work. There's probably some filter morphing vs. envelope, etc.

Guitar synth is the holy grail for me at this point. I’m completely satisfied with my traditional guitar tones from my Fractal boxes.

Any form of synth guitar that is doing pitch to MIDI sucks in some way. MIDI Guitar 2 has no ability to do per string things at all. The tracking is very good until it isn’t. The Roland/Boss stuff tracks ok but far from perfect. The GK5 pickup with a GM800 is decent and it is very consistent. The old Axon stuff was very good and that technology has morphed into the Fishman Tripleplay. The tracking can be excellent. The problem with the Tripleplay is that the software is truly miserable and controlling external hardware just sucks.

Then there’s synthesis that is processing the actual guitar signal. This falls into several categories:

Traditional pickup with mono processing - Fractal, Line 6, Meris Enzo, etc. work this way. They all glitch a little if you don’t play clean. Generally I find a neck pickup works best.

Traditional pickup with poly processing - Boss SY-300/200/1, EHX 9 pedals, etc. Again, neck pickup usually works best.

Hex pickup - this is really where the best results come from. Roland’s VG units and SY-1000 produce some fantastic results. Another option here is to use multiple pedals and processors per string so you are processing strings individually and then mix the result together. Fractal units are great for this. The Eventide H8000 or 9000 can do a lot here too but they’re very cumbersome to work with. Processing strings individually with VST plugins is a really good way to go as well.

attn: hippietim
..Been playing guitar synths (with Roland GM70...still do, have 2 ) since their conception, through a huge rack-full of synths and have to agree...
A hex pickup with the Boss SY-1000 with split up routings in the AXE-FX III is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom