Is there a global eq on the ax8

I did buy my ax8 2nd hand (probably 3 months into production, couldn't wait for the list and paid extra $$$ to get it, a great decision imho).

I have found that when I listen to youtube videos, or even some of the videos here, my unit has way less high end when I use those same patches. (all eq flat)

I did some experimenting with my main gig rig. I patched into an a/b switch and just went between fractal/yamaha dxr10 pair, and the jvm410 half stack. Test done at gig volumes

JVM410H with Marshall AHW 4x12 cabinet. No effects, low mids high presence set at about 12 3 12 3 o'clock positions. I use crunch channel orange set to about noon for the gain. (Pretty high for the JVM). This is a bright tone, but not crazy bright. My other guitarist uses the same rig and our tones are similar. both heads are unmodified.

I can't even come close to the tone using the fractal JVM. I would need two eqs to boost 2-3k hertz enough to even get close.

I modified someones diary of madman patch that I found either here or on the exchange site and modified it so its now pretty close. If I figure out whose it was, I would be happy to thank them. screenshot below.

. I have to add further eq boost at 2k and 3k on top of this setting, but it does get me close to my "real" jvm tone. To me, my JVM is not set that bright, it has quite a bit more to go if I want. However to get the fractal there I really have to super bright it.Fractal Shot.jpg Since I did get mine second hand, any chance there is a global eq that is causing what I percieve as a lack of high end?

Last edited:
Just to rule it out, check your instrument cable, I was having the same problem and it turns out to be my cable,it was shorting and sucking all the high end of my tone. Check just in case.

From Page 81 in the AX8 Manual:

GLOBAL: OUT 1/OUT 2 PAGES Two separate pages each provide a 10-band global graphic EQ, plus a master GAIN adjustment control for OUT 1 and OUT 2. Use these to make global adjustments to the tone or level of ALL presets. This is convenient when you need to compensate for using a different amp or speakers, or if a particular performance space seems overly bright or boomy. The master GAIN fader should be used with care as it impacts signal-to-noise ratio, and can cause clipping.

Here's the link for the manual:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/AX8/AX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

There is a global eq as in the AXE FX2 XL+. You can only access it using the AX8 front panel.. I believe it is under global options.

Just to rule it out, check your instrument cable, I was having the same problem and it turns out to be my cable,it was shorting and sucking all the high end of my tone. Check just in case.
Not a bad thought. However I have used several chords and this has not changed

From Page 81 in the AX8 Manual:

GLOBAL: OUT 1/OUT 2 PAGES Two separate pages each provide a 10-band global graphic EQ, plus a master GAIN adjustment control for OUT 1 and OUT 2. Use these to make global adjustments to the tone or level of ALL presets. This is convenient when you need to compensate for using a different amp or speakers, or if a particular performance space seems overly bright or boomy. The master GAIN fader should be used with care as it impacts signal-to-noise ratio, and can cause clipping.

Here's the link for the manual:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/AX8/AX8-Owners-Manual.pdf
Thanks, Ill check that out when I get home!
BTW, I have some great tones coming out my ax8, but I just started to peace together that I am putting so much high end to the signals that I like that maybe something somewhere else it cutting it back.

You may have already done this but when you buy a used processor it's best to reset everything to factory defaults, just to know you're starting from a clean base.

If you plan on doing this now just be sure to back up your custom presets. ;)

Last edited:
You may have already done this but when you by a used processor it's best to reset everything to factory defaults, just to know you're starting from a clean base.

If you plan on doing this now just be sure to back up your custom presets. ;)
I didn't and if it turns out this is what it is, I will have to bang my head against the wall as I should know better.
And if it IS a global setting put in place by former owner, I would have to say that Im even more impressed with this unit as I was able to compensate for the lack of high end in one area and make up for it somewhere else.....thats versatility!

I don't even know where to begin.
1. You are trying to match a JVM410 but you're using the Spawn Nitrous 2 amp model (which is a pretty dark amp). :confused:
2. The Sat Switch is on and set to Ideal. Neither of those amps have saturation circuits and when set to Ideal with the MV that high you are going to drive the snot out of the power amp. :confused:
3. You are comparing a JVM410 half-stack to an FRFR system and not mentioning what you are using for a speaker IR. :confused:
4. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I don't even know where to begin.
1. You are trying to match a JVM410 but you're using the Spawn Nitrous 2 amp model (which is a pretty dark amp). :confused:
2. The Sat Switch is on and set to Ideal. Neither of those amps have saturation circuits and when set to Ideal with the MV that high you are going to drive the snot out of the power amp. :confused:
3. You are comparing a JVM410 half-stack to an FRFR system and not mentioning what you are using for a speaker IR. :confused:
4. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

In general, my muddiness issue seems to be accross all presets, hence my post inquiring about global settings. To address specifically my jvm and in response to your questions---and I don't mean to sound snotty if they do.

1. The jvm on my ax8 is so muddy compared to my real jvm that I would have to add 2 or 3 eq blocks, each of which would be adding 5 to 6 db of 2k to 3k to get even close.

2.I showed a screen shot of a preset that actually DOES sound close to my JVM. Different amp? Yup! different pretty much everything? Yup! actually sounds like my REAL JVM, yup! Again, my ax8 JVM tone [keeping it simple, amp, cab, nothing else] is so far off of my real JMV tone , its not worth mentioning.
3. After trying several, no IR's truly resolved the mudiness, more of a different type of muddy. Currently I am using one of the factory 4x12 basketweaves. I will get specifics tonight.

The preset that I have the screenshot for (with the graphics eq shot) is really close to my JVM in room sound. If I change around the IRs, it still is in the ball park.

I would also mention that you should not try to eyeball the settings against the AX8's amp block. You might need to raise the bass, mid, treble way up or down to get the same tones. Also, take a look in the AX8 preset exchange or convert one of the Axe FX presets, and see how someone else figured out the tone

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-tweak-hi-gain-jvm410h-or1-clr.81732/

This may end up being the case as well. I should reiterate that the tone I get is GREAT, and I got there exactly as you suggest here. My interest was piqued when I looked at the patch I use (and love) and noted how much high end I had to add to it. I was further intrigued when I did the a/b comparison to my real head and found that although my real head was not cranking all the highs to the max, I had to crank the highs on the ax8. I got there, and have a great tone, but was checking to see if I was missing something. (and by this thread, Im hoping to find a global eq setting that is doing it.)

The biggest thing is the IR. You are comparing a 4x12 cab to a close-mic'd IR of a guitar speaker. It will sound DRAMATICALLY different and you simply can't compare things this way. Rather than adding 15 dB of boost at one frequency you should be trying different IRs. All the models in the AX-8 are true to their real-life counterparts, including the JVM410. This includes the tone controls. You shouldn't have to deviate by more than +/- 10% to get the same sound (due to amp-to-amp tolerances).

The biggest thing is the IR. You are comparing a 4x12 cab to a close-mic'd IR of a guitar speaker. It will sound DRAMATICALLY different and you simply can't compare things this way. Rather than adding 15 dB of boost at one frequency you should be trying different IRs. All the models in the AX-8 are true to their real-life counterparts, including the JVM410. This includes the tone controls. You shouldn't have to deviate by more than +/- 10% to get the same sound (due to amp-to-amp tolerances).

I will take this to heart. Do you have any suggestions for IRs that emphasize 2k to 3k?

I will take this to heart. Do you have any suggestions for IRs that emphasize 2k to 3k?
Just grab the wheel and spin until you hear what you want. Seriously. What the cab is doesn't matter as long as it sounds right for you.

If that doesn't work buy a cab pack or two (well worth the investment).

Back
Top Bottom