Is there a consensus headphone choice?

I am looking at the Ollos.
I notice that a lot of people go with the S5X.
Will the Axe3 do any 360 stuff to need the 5X.
Just asking as I know some here may be professional studio engineers and could work with stereo and 360 format.
Would the S4X be the best option if just for building presets and basic stereo mixing?
I went with the S5X because of the wider imaging and the flatter out of the box profile. But I also plan on using them for mixing (not surround, but any space in the stereo soundscape is helpful).

I went with the S5X because of the wider imaging and the flatter out of the box profile. But I also plan on using them for mixing (not surround, but any space in the stereo soundscape is helpful).
I think the S5X sound great for mixing in stereo but give the extra flexibility for Atmos mixing etc. when/if needed.

I work in stereo and compared to the S4X, I prefer the S5X for the slightly less rolled off high end and semi-open back, both of which help my work translate better. I would ignore the stuff about atmos and surround in this instance as both headphones are excellent for working in stereo.

Anyone have any comments on calibration? I have the 1.2 version prior to the free calibration so I was wondering if it is worth purchasing. I feel like they are flat enough based on the print out that came with them.

https://olloaudio.com/products/usc-1?variant=46884170269009

View attachment 137278
They’re within +/-5dB in the critical range, I wouldn’t bother.

Last edited:
I would ignore the stuff about atomos and surround in this instance as both headphones are excellent for working in stereo.
I'm confused about what you can do to a headphone to make it "better for atmos mixing" if it's still single driver construction. Any insights?..

Thanks for the tips, everyone. My main goal is to get something that I can reasonably dial in sounds that can require minimal tweaking at a show using headphones (and of course recording). It sounds like that is something that either of these would look good for.

Consensus is, you shouldn't rely on headphones only when tweaking. :)
They give no good impression about how much oomph and bass there is and how hard it punches in the mids.
You can tweak to a certain point, yes, but then you need to reaudition on some bigger monitors.
That’s what I do. I can only take the sound so far at home.

Stage volume, the speakers, the guitar, our position in relation to the speakers, the speaker’s position in relation to surfaces, and the room’s acoustics can affect the sound, forcing adjustments. It’s all part of the excitement and dynamic experience of playing live.

I'm confused about what you can do to a headphone to make it "better for atmos mixing" if it's still single driver construction. Any insights?..
You’d need to talk to Dolby and others. It’s something that was being researched for many years before being released.

Scientists were asking how come we only have two ears but, using them, we can sense whether the sound source is above, below or in front or behind us? When the sounds are encoded correctly, as in nature, our brains can decode the positions. Atmos and others do the encoding similarly now as the result of that research.

These formats require multi-speaker configuration to properly project their content. That's exactly my question - if S5 line is single driver models, what can it so what S4 can't?
From my experience headphones and two speakers work. It might not be as intense or defined as with multi-speaker configurations but Dolby and Apple and others seem to think it is good enough:
https://www.dolby.com/atmos-visualizer-music/

https://www.dolby.com/experience/headphones/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/109354

PS - I just ran a test with my Ollo S5X, and they play the demos on Dolby's site wonderfully, especially Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On". Then I used my Sennheiser HD650 and beyerdynamic's DT 770 Pro 250ohm, and they presented the sound well, but not as well as the Ollo or my AirPod Pro Gen. 2 do.

Last edited:
From my experience headphones and two speakers work
Exactly.
The question is simple: is S5 a multi-speaker headphone? If yes, there is no question why it should be advertised as "atmos" or "immersive" or whatever. But I believe it isn't, based on the description and photos people post on internet with its internals.
So the question is really very simple - what exactly S5 can do what S4 can't for immersive mixing?
I'm not looking for a discussion if this is possible or not, just for insights if anyone has anything.
I've used Rode NTH-100 to check the demos and I'm pretty sure it's just the way these tracks were mixed for this purpose specifically. Or my headphones secretly Dolby-enabled!

I am looking at the Ollos.
I notice that a lot of people go with the S5X.
Will the Axe3 do any 360 stuff to need the 5X.
Just asking as I know some here may be professional studio engineers and could work with stereo and 360 format.
Would the S4X be the best option if just for building presets and basic stereo mixing?
Yes

Anyone have any comments on calibration? I have the 1.2 version prior to the free calibration so I was wondering if it is worth purchasing. I feel like they are flat enough based on the print out that came with them.

https://olloaudio.com/products/usc-1?variant=46884170269009

View attachment 137278
I don't know that I'd bother with an EQ calibration curve. It looks like 3db Gain in a Tilt EQ in the Filter block should flatten them just right.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 4.07.25 PM.png

Beyond that you could try to deal with the notch ~8KHz but that's higher than we usually want to pass so we force a rolloff at ~6KHz so it's a moot point. You can do that using the High Cut in the Tilt EQ.

Exactly.
The question is simple: is S5 a multi-speaker headphone? If yes, there is no question why it should be advertised as "atmos" or "immersive" or whatever. But I believe it isn't, based on the description and photos people post on internet with its internals.
So the question is really very simple - what exactly S5 can do what S4 can't for immersive mixing?
I'm not looking for a discussion if this is possible or not, just for insights if anyone has anything.

I've used Rode NTH-100 to check the demos and I'm pretty sure it's just the way these tracks were mixed for this purpose specifically. Or my headphones secretly Dolby-enabled!

I believe the Ollo Audio S5X have angled diaphragms in the headset… So there’s a definite left and right can.

I don’t believe that’s true for the S4X. Could be wrong though.

Ditto on just call OA

Back
Top Bottom