Is the new input/gate always active?

kevorkian

I'm on 5.01 and it seems that even if I set the threshold to "off" there is still some downward expansion being applied to the signal after a few seconds.

Is this the expected behavior and is there any way to fully defeat the input gate? Thanks.

haven't noticed that...did you also set back the ratio to 1? That might be the reason.....

Just to clarify, you're talking about the input gate and NOT the gate block right?

haven't noticed that...did you also set back the ratio to 1? That might be the reason.....

Just to clarify, you're talking about the input gate and NOT the gate block right?

Yes, the input gate that's available to every preset and not the gate block.

I've tried the ratio at various settings (including "1") when the threshold is set to "off" and, no matter what, I always hear some noise reduction kick in after a few seconds.

Yea, tried it here too a couple times well and it's not doing it. What other stuff do you have in the preset? If you do it with just a row of shunts to the end or with just an amp/cab block are you getting it too?

I thought I was experiencing something similar the other day. It turns out I needed to change my strings. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, tried it here too a couple times well and it's not doing it. What other stuff do you have in the preset? If you do it with just a row of shunts to the end or with just an amp/cab block are you getting it too?

This happens on any preset actually.

I tried it with all shunts but I need to have some amp gain in the patch in order to hear the noise.

I've also tried a bunch of guitars and played with my Input level settings. No change.

Some more info:

This is something that I only hear with single coils apparently. It's like the Axe Fx 2 is actively gating out 60 cycle hum? Is that possible?

If I play through a humbucker or use a strat in a hum-cancling position I don't hear the gating.

However, on any single coil, I hear the 60 cycle hum being gated out after a few seconds.

Makes sense since I first noticed this on a Tele....

Here's the recipe:

- Use any regular single coil pickup.
- Pick any patch.
- Set the Input gate Threshold to "off" and set the ratio to anything.
- Strum the muted strings and I hear the gate open with 60-cycle hum in the background and then it's faded out (like a Decimator pedal).
- The Gain meter never moves on the screen.

Can anyone replicate this?

I just tried adding a compressor first in the chain and I can now hear the gating action more clearly.

The gating is happening with humbuckers as well, but it's a pretty high pitched hiss that is faded out (and not 60 cycle him) so it's less apparent but still there.

Also, when I switch to a patch and I have a single coil selected, there is no hum until I play something so there is definitely some filtering happening.

This just seems too specific to be anything that would only apply to my particular Axe Fx.

I just tried adding a compressor first in the chain and I can now hear the gating action more clearly.

The gating is happening with humbuckers as well, but it's a pretty high pitched hiss that is faded out (and not 60 cycle him) so it's less apparent but still there.

Also, when I switch to a patch and I have a single coil selected, there is no hum until I play something so there is definitely some filtering happening.

This just seems too specific to be anything that would only apply to my particular Axe Fx.

My environment is pretty quiet. I'll try with my p90s.

Not doing it here. It is either fixed in the upcoming firmware or you have another issue.

Are you using the front panel or axe-edit for this?

Back
Top Bottom