Is my Axe slowly dying?

That's like saying, "I never had a problem driving a mountain road with my right tires halfway over the cliff. Why did I fall this time?" :)

90% CPU puts you into unpredictable territory. Watch your meter; it can fluctuate by 2% or more just through normal playing.
It's just not a mountain road with a high cliff.

I use this engine since 2012 and if a patch doesn't work related to CPU charge, it won't "wait to be on gig" to stop working : it won't work right away (at home, at rehearsal etc).

BTW problem seems to be related to the combination 2 amps / 2 CAB IR's, wait and see.

It's just not a mountain road with a high cliff.

I use this engine since 2012 and if a patch doesn't work related to CPU charge, it won't "wait to be on gig" to stop working : it won't work right away (at home, at rehearsal etc).
If a patch is on the edge of maximum CPU, it'll hiccup at a random time of its own choosing. I've seen it at rehearsals, at gigs, in beta testing, and just noodling around at home.

BTW problem seems to be related to the combination 2 amps / 2 CAB IR's, wait and see.
it may be a two-amps/two-cabs thing, but I'll reserve that judgement until it happens on a preset that's not running at the edge of CPU usage.

I can guarantee it is a result of an overloaded processor. The AXE is technically a computer, so it will behave like one. If the CPU gets over worked it will freeze or generate some error code.
For live use I keep all my presets set to a low CPU usage of 70% or less. I only add blocks for what I need in the preset. I also don't use scenes and never use 2 amp and 2 cab blocks. I always use 1 amp and sometimes blend 2 cabs in one block. But I'm always looking for s specific tone for each preset, and use that preset for a specific song or style.
Regarding updating presets, it is painless, although if you really like your finished product, you may experience a different (but better) tone. I for one always go for the latest anything Fractal puts out.

If a patch is on the edge of maximum CPU, it'll hiccup at a random time of its own choosing. I've seen it at rehearsals, at gigs, in beta testing, and just noodling around at home.

it may be a two-amps/two-cabs thing, but I'll reserve that judgement until it happens on a preset that's not running at the edge of CPU usage.
It has been happening lately also with a patch under 85pct and that I've been using ever since 2012. Let time go on and please leave any preconceived opinions aside. Confident FAS will solute the subject.

It has been happening lately also with a patch under 85pct and that I've been using ever since 2012.
Can you post that patch?

...please leave any preconceived opinions aside.
That's exactly what I did in my earlier post.:

Can you post that patch?

Later, extracted both concerned patches but not in front of my computer right now. One is at 92 pct; I changed onest of the amps and cab lately. The other one at 78, unchanged since I got axe fx II except for FW adoptions. Both have dual amp dual cab configuration. Any help would be welcome

I have been using patches with 2 AMP blocks since day one with the Ultra and I have never had a problem. I don't use dual cabs, maybe a stereo cab when needed.
One thing I do know is that when you approach 90% of CPU usage the external controllers will be laggy, due to sound processing having a higher priority, so I never go there.

My presets are between 70% and 85% to make sure that the external controllers (like a wah) are working smoothly.

I hope this helps.

I have been using patches with 2 AMP blocks since day one with the Ultra and I have never had a problem. I don't use dual cabs, maybe a stereo cab when needed.
One thing I do know is that when you approach 90% of CPU usage the external controllers will be laggy, due to sound processing having a higher priority, so I never go there.

Not much, the thread concerns axe fx II :)

Can you post that patch?

The forum doesn't allow me to upload syx files. Old problem that was never resolved. Eventually PM so I can send per email.
4 pathches double amp & cab over 90pct and that never showed problems since 2014/12. 2 of them have problems post FW4.

The forum doesn't allow me to upload syx files. Old problem that was never resolved. Eventually PM so I can send per email.
Put it up on Dropbox or something similar. Then no emails are needed.

4 pathches double amp & cab over 90pct and that never showed problems since 2014/12. 2 of them have problems post FW4.
I'm not so interested in over-90% patches. That kind of high CPU usage has been a known cause of problems for years. It's the reason that it's
recommended not to cross the 90% threshold.

What I'd really like to see is that patch you talked about that's under 85% and giving you problems. That patch would really tell us something.
It has been happening lately also with a patch under 85pct and that I've been using ever since 2012.

Sorry for responding so late, few time available and also had my Freeserver box that broke down and the provider had to replace it.

Howbeit, here the link for 4 bundles patch including cab (there's only free FAS & Clark Kent cabs) :

https://we.tl/BXqebyZP53
  • Jesus he knows me (Phil Collins cover) : 80% CPUrate 1URmono IR 6 modifiers; patch from 2014, probably changed the distorted amp circuit in Q3 2016 + FW adaptions. This one blocked June 21st. Power off/on made it work
  • Ascenseur : 92% CPU rate since origin, 1 stereo UR + one mono Hires, 6 modifiers old patch from 2012, modified distorted amp circuit in May 2017. Delay blocked June 21st, Power off/on + moving delay pedal made it work again.
  • NYC Kravitz : 91% CPU rate 1URmono, 10 modifiers, patch from 2014, modified a few times since for FW adaptions. Never ever let me down
  • Kepis : 93% CPU rate, 2 amps 2 cabs, 14 modifiers. Built in march 2017, for the time being never let me down.

Over 90% patches -> will not work or badly with USB connected, work fine without USB connected.

After more analysis, it seems the patches that are built before 2016 have problems, so maybe I'd better remake them from scratch.

Thanks for any advice.

When I first got my Axe I had some weird problem with the user cab blocks if I remember correctly. Matt at Fractal sent me some kind of info and had me try it and it resolved my problems. Sorry I don't remember more details it's been years ago but I think Matt can help you out if it's not an overloaded cpu problem...

I'm playing in my studio, I change a preset and suddenly no more sound.
I check everything and find out that the user cabs produce no sounds. The factory cabs are fine. They are still visible in the user cab slots, but are silent once selected. After rebooting the Axe-Fx XL everything is good again.
Second time I have this problem, has anybody had a similar experience or have an idea of the problem?
Yesterday I had another nightmare, but in the middle of an open air gig: I change a scene and there's a big burst of noise coming out of the Axe. (PA man with eyes and mouth big open, go figure!) I first thought of a wireless problem, but no. Rebooted the Axe and no more trouble for the two concerts I had this evening.
Is my Axe slowly dying?

could be a bug, im testing one presets that is doing the same plus adding a modifier to the out comp parameter makes the bypass state inactive or it randomly turns the amp on or off. Discovered this two days ago.

I've put some heavy loaded presets on a diet, and didn't have any problem since than. Hope you find the culprit.

Sorry for responding so late, few time available and also had my Freeserver box that broke down and the provider had to replace it.

Howbeit, here the link for 4 bundles patch including cab (there's only free FAS & Clark Kent cabs) :

https://we.tl/BXqebyZP53
  • Jesus he knows me (Phil Collins cover) : 80% CPUrate 1URmono IR 6 modifiers; patch from 2014, probably changed the distorted amp circuit in Q3 2016 + FW adaptions. This one blocked June 21st. Power off/on made it work
  • Ascenseur : 92% CPU rate since origin, 1 stereo UR + one mono Hires, 6 modifiers old patch from 2012, modified distorted amp circuit in May 2017. Delay blocked June 21st, Power off/on + moving delay pedal made it work again.
  • NYC Kravitz : 91% CPU rate 1URmono, 10 modifiers, patch from 2014, modified a few times since for FW adaptions. Never ever let me down
  • Kepis : 93% CPU rate, 2 amps 2 cabs, 14 modifiers. Built in march 2017, for the time being never let me down.

Over 90% patches -> will not work or badly with USB connected, work fine without USB connected.

After more analysis, it seems the patches that are built before 2016 have problems, so maybe I'd better remake them from scratch.

Thanks for any advice.
I loaded your Jesus he knows me preset into both a MK I and an XL+. Played each one for around ten minutes. I didn't encounter any problems.

I didn't test your other presets. They all run in excess of 90% CPU, and that's known danger territory for bad behavior.

Side note: the preset is saved as a preset/cab bundle, but it uses only factory cabs. There's no need to save as a bundle when you aren't using user cabs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom