Is my Axe slowly dying?

lp59

Experienced
I'm playing in my studio, I change a preset and suddenly no more sound.
I check everything and find out that the user cabs produce no sounds. The factory cabs are fine. They are still visible in the user cab slots, but are silent once selected. After rebooting the Axe-Fx XL everything is good again.
Second time I have this problem, has anybody had a similar experience or have an idea of the problem?
Yesterday I had another nightmare, but in the middle of an open air gig: I change a scene and there's a big burst of noise coming out of the Axe. (PA man with eyes and mouth big open, go figure!) I first thought of a wireless problem, but no. Rebooted the Axe and no more trouble for the two concerts I had this evening.
Is my Axe slowly dying?

We all are.
Cf2ykrzUsAIoxXP.jpg:large

Are your presets old- built before Quantum but running on Quantum? Even if you re-tweaked them, it's better to start over with new presets developed from scratch with the newest firmware. Are you using too many CC assigns per preset? 5 or more can cause intermitant problems. Is your cable to your MFC high quality/newer.

Are your presets old- built before Quantum but running on Quantum? Even if you re-tweaked them, it's better to start over with new presets developed from scratch with the newest firmware. Are you using too many CC assigns per preset? 5 or more can cause intermitant problems. Is your cable to your MFC high quality/newer.
Hi, what kind of issue is due to a low quality cable to the MFC?

Cat5 or XLR Cables between MFC and AxeFx carry both MIDI data (to and from MFC) and power (to MFC) .... so if say some crosstalk happens in a shitty cable then one or more devices are not going to be happy - MFC could go off/re-start spuriously or AxeFX could freeze, change preset unexpectantly, lose comms with MFC etc.

I bring spare cables of all known types that work between MFC and AxeFX in my bag ...... so far my cat6 cable has not let me down - but I'm ready with XLR and FasLink adapter and even MFC power supply and MIDI for when it hits the fan.

Yes, All my presets are an evolution from older presets I used for 5 years, and tweaked at the firmware revisions pace. It would be a real pain to redo all my presets from scratch.

Cat5 or XLR Cables between MFC and AxeFx carry both MIDI data (to and from MFC) and power (to MFC) .... so if say some crosstalk happens in a shitty cable then one or more devices are not going to be happy - MFC could go off/re-start spuriously or AxeFX could freeze, change preset unexpectantly, lose comms with MFC etc.

I bring spare cables of all known types that work between MFC and AxeFX in my bag ...... so far my cat6 cable has not let me down - but I'm ready with XLR and FasLink adapter and even MFC power supply and MIDI for when it hits the fan.
No MFC, but à RJM GT16 with a good midi cable.

Had a similar problem on gigging last Wednesday. No sound, right red led above lighted. FW 6.03 with a recently built patch and a bit later with an old old patch. Reset will do the job, but not very polite on PA sound system....Most of my patches are running from 80-92% CPU and 5-10 CC assigns over midi with an FCB1010.
Also have problems with volume settings on 1 other patch that appear from nowhere from time to time.
Did not have these issues before we lost backward compatibility on axe fx II mark I.
Guess I'll have to draw back on heavy loaded patches, or at least start with changing the backup battery.

Post Scriptum : the common lead seems to be patches using double amp and double cabs. Will check next Thursday.

Last edited:
Generally have no problems until 93% stand alone; i.e. as long as I don't have the USB connected with axe edit & cubase.
That's like saying, "I never had a problem driving a mountain road with my right tires halfway over the cliff. Why did I fall this time?" :)

90% CPU puts you into unpredictable territory. Watch your meter; it can fluctuate by 2% or more just through normal playing.

Yes, All my presets are an evolution from older presets I used for 5 years, and tweaked at the firmware revisions pace. It would be a real pain to redo all my presets from scratch.
You'll find it's no where near as hard to generate fresh presets as the newest amps need less work to get what you want and you are much better at tweaking now. You can AB your old preset to the new one which will also help get them to where you were. You will also find that most of your presets will be more efficient/less complicated.

Had a similar problem on gigging last Wednesday. No sound, right red led above lighted. FW 6.03 with a recently built patch and a bit later with an old old patch. Reset will do the job, but not very polite on PA sound system....Most of my patches are running from 80-92% CPU and 5-10 CC assigns over midi with an FCB1010.
Also have problems with volume settings on 1 other patch that appear from nowhere from time to time.
Did not have these issues before we lost backward compatibility on axe fx II mark I.
Guess I'll have to draw back on heavy loaded patches, or at least start with changing the backup battery.

Post Scriptum : the common lead seems to be patches using double amp and double cabs. Will check next Thursday.
Spot on: this particular patch that made the crazy noise was a 2 amps and 2 cabs patch.
Like Pink Floyd said: Carefull with that Axe Eugene.

Thanks for all the advices.
Nobody here had the user cabs not working like I explained in OP?

You'll find it's no where near as hard to generate fresh presets as the newest amps need less work to get what you want and you are much better at tweaking now.

Plus one.
It's worth spending the time. (maybe do two or three presets a day until you have them all). Newer amps sound great right away. It's much faster now to get a sound than it was a few firmwares ago. Besides, certain blocks have changed over time (drives and compressors for ex.), and I like to build from scratch just to make sure everything's working the way I want it to.

There are a lot of things you can do to reduce CPU usage. Here are the ones I look at first...

I often attach a modifier to the Gain knob (sometimes a second modifier on Master Vol). This saves you from using a second Amp block and reduces Drive pedals.

Check the CPU usage of the drive pedals you're using. Yek's Drive Block Guide rates each one as high, middle or low. Perhaps there's a lower CPU pedal that will get you to the same destination.

Reverb eats a lot of CPU. Skip it if you can or toggle the quality of the reverb.

Use a single Cab block instead of two if you can. This saves a lot of CPU. I always aim to use a single Cab block even for clean/distorted presets. If you like, you can blend two cabs within a single stereo Cab block. It's less CPU usage than two Cab blocks.

Back
Top Bottom