Is it possible to get a delay with cents of ms precision? (to compensate latency of other equipment in series)

Piing

Axe-Master
I have the Boss SY-1000 output connected to the Axe-FX input-4, and the regular guitar pickups connected to the Axe-FX Input-1

When mixing the regular pickups with the SY-1000 modeled guitar (e.g.: nylon guitar) there is a slight out-of-phase issue probably caused by the higher latency of the SY-1000 A/D-D/A conversion.

I can reduce the phase artifact by inserting a Delay block with Time 1ms and Mix 100% right after the Axe-FX Input-1 block, but with 1ms it is not totally eliminated. I may need to fine-tune cents of ms to get the two signals in perfect sync. Is that possible?

Last edited:
I have the Boss SY-1000 output connected to the Axe-FX input-4, and the regular guitar pickups connected to the Axe-FX Input-1

When mixing the regular pickups with the SY-1000 modeled guitar (e.g.: nylon guitar) there is a slight out-of-phase issue probably caused by the higher latency of the SY-1000 A/D-D/A conversion.

I can reduce the phase artifact by inserting a Delay block with Time 1ms and Mix 100% right after the Axe-FX Input-1 block, but with 1ms it is not totally eliminated. I may need to fine-tune cents of ms to get the two signals in perfect sync. Is that possible?
This is the exact problem I've had with my VG 99 for years with the Axe. Since the Ultra in fact. I suspect it's not the Roland converters, but the time it takes the modeling algorithm to model the signal. I have to use a flanger block to align them. I've always assumed that a dedicated alignment delay block with selectable polarity would be trivial. But apparently not. It's been a request for quite some time. Many of my presets are using both flangers just for time alignment.

This is the exact problem I've had with my VG 99 for years with the Axe. Since the Ultra in fact. I suspect it's not the Roland converters, but the time it takes the modeling algorithm to model the signal. I have to use a flanger block to align them. I've always assumed that a dedicated alignment delay block with selectable polarity would be trivial. But apparently not. It's been a request for quite some time. Many of my presets are using both flangers just for time alignment.

Yes, the Flanger does the job. Thank you!
Depth = 0.0%
Feedback = 0.0%
Manual= around 0.8 (a quick set. I have to find the fine-point)
Mix = 100%

This is how the two input signals look at the DAW. Up is the regular pickups, down is the SY-1000. Both signals recorded through the Axe-FX USB
1697959075385.png

Last edited:
Delay master time will adjust in sub-ms increments if needed. For example, Time 5 ms, Master Time 36.2% = 1.81 ms delay. But if you need a shorter time than the delay block's minimum (actually 1.3 ms, not 1 ms) that won't work of course, unless you ran out of other options and had one more free delay block for the other signal.

Does align in the cab block help? if you use two speakers in the block, align one, mute the other?

Does align in the cab block help? if you use two speakers in the block, align one, mute the other?
I suppose that the alignment is relative between the microphones, not absolute. I do not think that it would add global latency; only between the two microphones. The compressor or the flanger are simple solutions, and at the beginning of the signal chain.

Back
Top Bottom