Is it me or are others in the same boat?

Curious what you think those options are. Xitone are working fine for me but ya'll got me curious.
Same. That curiousity is why Im getting them. I keep hearing theyre amazing, and nobody seems to have done a shootout right next to a CLR. Ive tried all the main players, and all but the redsound where in the room at the same time to A/B, and nothing touched the CLR.

Low effort comment: I really like my Red Sound Elis.8 and they give me a bit of an "in the room" feel. Certainly not like a 4x12 cab, but they are 8" speakers...

I do occasionally wonder if the MF-10 would have been better, but I wanted to try a stereo setup and the Elis.8 was more in my budget. Would love to shoot them out at some point, but not easy ones to "just try" in the States.
I can’t comment on the Elis.8 but I love my Mf.10’s. They’re super punchy with a nice low resonance that is very tight. I haven’t gigged with them yet but I used to lug around two 4x12s. It’s satisfying enough that I don’t think I’ll miss it. They’re probably more comparable to a nice 2x12, but for a 1x10 that’s as light as it is, I’m over the moon.

THan
FWIW, I’ve never played through a consumer grade FRFR cab that sounded “right.” They’re normally boxy in the mids or have boosted top end. When I listen to a real mic’d cab through my studio monitors and A/B it with an IR, it’s identical, so I think it comes down to the color the FRFR cab adds to your tone.

If your studio monitors aren’t sounding good either, I imagine you’re getting a lot of reflections in your room that can enhance harsh top end. I HIGHLY recommend investing in some room treatment to smooth everything out. Your listening environment plays a massive part in your overall experience.

Since Meyer cabs are pricy, here’s a potential solution that might help you with what you already have that will keep your direct line sounding good (what you hear in your headphones) while making your FRFR cab sound better.

You’ll want to route your FRFR cab to Output 2. Try creating a preset that’s just Input 1 going to Output 2. Connect your phone or run a line out from your DAW into the Axe’s Input 1 so you can play music (something well-recorded that you’re familiar with) through your FRFR cab.

On your Axe, go to Setup - Global Settings and page over to Output 2 EQ. While listening at a decent volume, make EQ adjustments to get the music sounding balanced and neutral. You make need to cut mids and/or highs and boost low end. Once it’s sounding good, raise the volume and see if you need to make further adjustments. This is basically “tuning” your FRFR cab the same way a FOH/Monitor guy tunes a PA.

Now that it’s sounding good, try one of your presets and see how it translates.

As others have mentioned, a 1x12 cab isn’t going to hit the same way a 4x12 will, so you’re listening to it more like a floor monitor giving you the mic’d signal rather than hearing a roaring 4x12 behind you.

I hope this helps, and sorry for the long post.

FWIW, I’ve never played through a consumer grade FRFR cab that sounded “right.” They’re normally boxy in the mids or have boosted top end. When I listen to a real mic’d cab through my studio monitors and A/B it with an IR, it’s identical, so I think it comes down to the color the FRFR cab adds to your tone.

If your studio monitors aren’t sounding good either, I imagine you’re getting a lot of reflections in your room that can enhance harsh top end. I HIGHLY recommend investing in some room treatment to smooth everything out. Your listening environment plays a massive part in your overall experience.

Since Meyer cabs are pricy, here’s a potential solution that might help you with what you already have that will keep your direct line sounding good (what you hear in your headphones) while making your FRFR cab sound better.

You’ll want to route your FRFR cab to Output 2. Try creating a preset that’s just Input 1 going to Output 2. Connect your phone or run a line out from your DAW into the Axe’s Input 1 so you can play music (something well-recorded that you’re familiar with) through your FRFR cab.

On your Axe, go to Setup - Global Settings and page over to Output 2 EQ. While listening at a decent volume, make EQ adjustments to get the music sounding balanced and neutral. You make need to cut mids and/or highs and boost low end. Once it’s sounding good, raise the volume and see if you need to make further adjustments. This is basically “tuning” your FRFR cab the same way a FOH/Monitor guy tunes a PA.

As others have mentioned, a 1x12 cab isn’t going to hit the same way a 4x12 will, so you’re listening to it more like a floor monitor giving you the mic’d signal rather than hearing a roaring 4x12 behind you.

I hope this helps, and sorry for the long post. 😬
Thank you for the tips and pointers as I will try these out. I am running your IR's so this has got to work.

I find these threads helpful and useful regardless of the amount of times they have been posted. I always learn something new and interesting to try.
Yeah I know this topic has been hashed out numerous times in the past. Just so damn frustrated that I can't get the FRFR/IR combo to work for me as I have been at this with Fractals and/or Kempers for years now and can't seem to get these to sound good for me. I need someone like Cooper Carter to come over and do a house visit....lol.

I listen to bands like Def Leppard as I just saw them live and they are all running AXE 3 units and IR's to FOH and they sounded amazing. I will not quit on this journey.

Reactions: mtb
Yeah I know this topic has been hashed out numerous times in the past. Just so damn frustrated that I can't get the FRFR/IR combo to work for me as I have been at this with Fractals and/or Kempers for years now and can't seem to get these to sound good for me. I need someone like Cooper Carter to come over and do a house visit....lol.

I listen to bands like Def Leppard as I just saw them live and they are all running AXE 3 units and IR's to FOH and they sounded amazing. I will not quit on this journey.
I have a PA in my rehearsal space, 5x 12" powered Yamaha DXR12, a sub, and my 2 atomic CLR's. Sounds just like youre at the arena. You cant get THAT sound with 1 speaker.

What would a def Leppard frfr soundlike without a massive pa? I thought they used marshall tube PAmps? It's hard to pinpoint that sound and imagine getting that sound thru one or even 2 frfr speakers? It's a daunting search. I've tried powered frfr, definitely much different at band volume. Dialing it in at louder volumes its stil a different sound. It should be, it's a different enclosure and Power source. I'm using a SS PA into a traditional 2x12, front of house gets IRs, then I have a monitor feeding me the IRs. Nice blend. I have contemplated trying one of the powered frfrs behind me with the PA and cab just for the experience. I may like it without the traditional cab, either way I can have the option to move on in either direction

I hope this helps, and sorry for the long post. 😬
Absolutely. Pro sound guys EQ for the room (and possibly for the speakers) at every venue. At gigs where I do sound, even with my same speakers, I EQ each output bus with my digital mixer to adapt to the room. This means I rarely touch the channel EQs because those are set for the inputs already - I just have to adjust Master EQ to make everything sound how I want.

It’s rare that any consumer speaker - even IEMs - sound the way you want without EQ.

We can do this with our Axe using the Global EQ as well for our own FR speakers. Once you do it the first time, only small changes should be necessary from venue to venue unless the room is really bad in some freq ranges.

I’m confident that if my rig sounds a certain way in one place, it can sound that way somewhere else with some global/master EQ. I don’t adjust my presets for this. It’s set, it sounds good. The room is changing things so in need to adjust to that.

With full modeling this is way easier due to all the tools we have (global eq on the axe, bus EQ on mixers, etc.)

With a traditional amp/cab, there aren’t too many EQ shaping tools, as we all know the Tone knobs of an amp usually set the tone of our sound, not the resulting EQ, or at least very little control of the EQ. When I was still using real amps I realized this at some point and put a 7 or 10 band EQ in the effects loop to try and help with this. It did help, tone stayed relatively the same, but I could dump low end if needed for the small rooms, or dump high end for the rooms with lots of glass, etc.

Global/Master EQ is the way to adjust our tone for different speakers and different rooms. It’s not a new thing, or something needed just for modeling. Sounds guys have done it forever. With modeling we just have access to it more easily.

@PacoCasanovas always tell us people in the German forum: Traditional speakers have a „beam“. They sound always (in my ears too) 3-dimensional. There is a kind of interaction between the frequencies in the middle (beam) and the edge of the speaker and the wood of the cabs, even when you use a deflexx or something else. You can get a little closer to that sound with using different IR‘s in stereo, but it will always be true: There is so much physical difference between FRFR and real speakers. There is no solution until now:
1. The beam in the middle of traditional cabs.
2. IR´s are miked guitar sounds.
3. Much wider range of FRFR.
4. FRFR behave different to trad. caps at different volume levels.
The list must be much longer, but it´s too complex for my knowledge and english.
Some people like the sound of FRFR. It‘s not better or worse. It‘s just different. And for many guitarists and even pros it‘s just much more easier on stage with FRFR.

I don‘t get too why I love the headphone sound and don‘t like FRFR the same at higher levels.
Yes, a traditional guitar cabinet has a beam pattern, usually at 2-3kHz - every speaker actually has a beam frequency, it depends no the diameter of the membrane and the acoustic velocity. But used in modern cabinets, these speakers are used with crossover filter circuits which perform a frequency roll off way below the beamy frequency. The beam behavior is a very annoying side effect of a guitar speaker but also the reason why we hear a guitar speaker the way we are used to..... around the very narrow beam radiation pattern, there is also a comfort zone - at a certain angle from our ears to the speaker where we hear it the way we are used to hear it. Without the beam, there wouldn't be this "comfort zone" - and IRs trough a FRFR system don't have the same radiation pattern as a traditional guitar speaker neither having a beam zone - and also the comfort tone. You need to listen into the speaker directly, you can't use the hearing positions as known from the use with a traditional speaker. This is the most common issue with FRFR speakers and people used to traditional guitar cabinets. Some describe it as "amp in the room" but it has nothing to do with a room or with the lack of information of a room.

I hear of people who can work with FRFR and are happy, but I also heard of the opposite. There is no right and wrong - but there are limitations what IRs and FRFR can do regarding the human nature hearing a guitar cabinet. Personally, I tested FRFR (I owned a Matrix Q12a myself a couple of years) but I can't work with it, because it feels not right for me (all IMO). I use my AF3 in my home studio for recording and practicing - live, I play over a Princeton Reverb and my Casanoverdrive pedal (plus some delay)

Cheers

I've had my share of better tone and worse tone in different times and places, but I've never been unable to use a PEQ to dial in a satisfactory tone -- on any "personal" FRFR, no matter where it sits in the market spectrum. I won't say what the best and worst units were, but the vast majority of offerings have fallen into the "completely adequate" zone. That said, nothing compares to high end monitors, and I also truly love the experience of playing through a traditional cab with a neutral power amp.

And at the end of it all, it's still ME that has on nights and off nights.

What would a def Leppard frfr soundlike without a massive pa? I thought they used marshall tube PAmps? It's hard to pinpoint that sound and imagine getting that sound thru one or even 2 frfr speakers? It's a daunting search. I've tried powered frfr, definitely much different at band volume. Dialing it in at louder volumes its stil a different sound. It should be, it's a different enclosure and Power source. I'm using a SS PA into a traditional 2x12, front of house gets IRs, then I have a monitor feeding me the IRs. Nice blend. I have contemplated trying one of the powered frfrs behind me with the PA and cab just for the experience. I may like it without the traditional cab, either way I can have the option to move on in either direction
I understand DL has the benefit of a $XXXXXXXX PA system to make their tone sound glorious but those tones had to be captured through a smaller system by the guitar techs. I know Phil uses a CLR onstage as Seb does not use in-ears and the Viv uses an Engl Cab on stage for the feel but the FOH is what is producing the sounds with the IR's. I have done your approach with running a real cabinet with no IR's and a FRFR with IRs to blend both worlds with good results. In the end the traditional guitar cabinet was the body of the sound and the FRFR with IRs was just there for taste and coloring. Again, fun solution to make a quick W/D or WDW rig.

Try shooting some IRs of your favorite guitar cab and you might find that your FRFR setup can reproduce it very well - if you were to put your head where the mic is. After I made IRs of my cab, I have pretty much lost interest in buying more guitar cabs and would prefer a fullrange system nowadays. I used the Atomic FR 1x12 for years with no complaints from myself or the audience and foolishly sold it when I stopped gigging. Would have been fun now but I am sure there are even better units out there today.

I feel like for a lot of people FRFR sounds fizzy, bright etc because they don't have a lot of the negative aspects of real guitar cabs. Real guitar cabs tend to be extremely directional and most people use them by having the cab on the floor and standing off axis to them. The amount of high end this cuts out and the amount of extra bass there is from floor etc reflections is pretty significant. We find this a very pleasing sound but it's not necessarily a good sound for the band.

I was watching a local bar band setup some time ago and during soundcheck the band only started sounding good in the room when they had gotten rid of all the excess bass from the guitarist's Orange 1x12 combo. The guitar sounded a bit thin on its own but spot on when the rest of the band came in.

I've had my share of better tone and worse tone in different times and places, but I've never been unable to use a PEQ to dial in a satisfactory tone -- on any "personal" FRFR, no matter where it sits in the market spectrum. I won't say what the best and worst units were, but the vast majority of offerings have fallen into the "completely adequate" zone. That said, nothing compares to high end monitors, and I also truly love the experience of playing through a traditional cab with a neutral power amp.

THIS

100000x PEQ/Global EQ is your friend. I have played through some of the worst backline gear imaginable with all my FAS gear and a couple simple tweaks of the PEQ/GEQ on the output(s) generally solved the issue to at least get me through a gig.

100000x PEQ/Global EQ is your friend. I have played through some of the worst backline gear imaginable with all my FAS gear and a couple simple tweaks of the PEQ/GEQ on the output(s) generally solved the issue to at least get me through a gig.
Understand.
Try shooting some IRs of your favorite guitar cab and you might find that your FRFR setup can reproduce it very well - if you were to put your head where the mic is. After I made IRs of my cab, I have pretty much lost interest in buying more guitar cabs and would prefer a fullrange system nowadays. I used the Atomic FR 1x12 for years with no complaints from myself or the audience and foolishly sold it when I stopped gigging. Would have been fun now but I am sure there are even better units out there today.

I feel like for a lot of people FRFR sounds fizzy, bright etc because they don't have a lot of the negative aspects of real guitar cabs. Real guitar cabs tend to be extremely directional and most people use them by having the cab on the floor and standing off axis to them. The amount of high end this cuts out and the amount of extra bass there is from floor etc reflections is pretty significant. We find this a very pleasing sound but it's not necessarily a good sound for the band.

I was watching a local bar band setup some time ago and during soundcheck the band only started sounding good in the room when they had gotten rid of all the excess bass from the guitarist's Orange 1x12 combo. The guitar sounded a bit thin on its own but spot on when the rest of the band came in.
I normally play a real Friedman cabinet with GB/V30 mix. I have a bunch of YA and other IRs of this cabinet that I purchase online to be close to my real cabinet. Again the whole capture/mic/mic placement and room that the capture was done is the only variable I cannot control so maybe me shooting my own IRs of my own cabinet in my own space might be an idea that I never thought of.

Understand.

I normally play a real Friedman cabinet with GB/V30 mix. I have a bunch of YA and other IRs of this cabinet that I purchase online to be close to my real cabinet. Again the whole capture/mic/mic placement and room that the capture was done is the only variable I cannot control so maybe me shooting my own IRs of my own cabinet in my own space might be an idea that I never thought of.

Just keep in mind that a room affects your sound a lot more than you may be aware of. A simple test is take anything outside and play through the same rig with the same settings. You'll be surprised what you hear.

Just keep in mind that a room affects your sound a lot more than you may be aware of. A simple test is take anything outside and play through the same rig with the same settings. You'll be surprised what you hear.
My room is treated somewhat. Also, my FRFR cabinet is a traditional 412 loaded with 4 Celestion FRFR speakers so this is hitting me the same way that my normal 412 would be hitting me. Trying to eliminate the variables here as I am aware of how wedges project the sound compared to a directional guitar cabinet so trying to keep apples to apples as much as possible.

My room is treated somewhat. Also, my FRFR cabinet is a traditional 412 loaded with 4 Celestion FRFR speakers so this is hitting me the same way that my normal 412 would be hitting me. Trying to eliminate the variables here as I am aware of how wedges project the sound compared to a directional guitar cabinet so trying to keep apples to apples as much as possible.
The traditional cab with Celestion FRFR speakers in it might be the issue if it’s not been adapted to support them in any way.

When I approached Zilla about building FRFR cabs they came up with a specific design that is ported and quite different internally from their standard 112.

The overall internal volume of the cab was adjusted in the direction of Celestions recommended design then tuned with a baffle and dampened with wadding in some specific way.

He also mentioned the ported design was somewhat critical to getting a good sound from this speaker type.

Back
Top Bottom