Is it just me ... or is anyone else starting to think we -wont- see the AX8 until Q1 2016 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say, I didn't try the 500X with the Epsi. What I can say is it sounds significantly better, is built significantly better and has significantly more options, what that adds to the build cost, I can't say. What I do know is I love the Friedman amps in the Axe and I badly want the AX8!!

Yea, I think the Helix sounds awesome based on the clips I have heard too. When I posted the same thing on TGP, a lot of people tried to say the aluminum case and the color screen is what jacked up the price, but I am not so sure. Yes, its an upgrade from the POD, but its still made in China, I would venture to guess the CPU's are not significantly better than the POD, etc

This is an impossible question to answer. How do you define a pro? Someone who is signed? Someone who gigs once a week? Someone who has played Madison Square Garden?

I still believe Line 6 added about $500-$900 to the price tag to the Helix to give the perception that it was a top line modeler. To be fair I have not seen one on the flesh, but I am not seeing enough justification to price it $1000 more than the HD POD 500X.

Come on, buddy. We've been over this. It's a Liquid Foot-esque foot controller with LCD screens all over the place. A standalone foot controller of comparable quality is $600-$1200 (the low end being smaller with less strips, the high end being bigger with more). That's with no expression pedal. Just stomps and scribble strips.

Now add more expensive DSP chips, that huge color LCD screen, an expression pedal, a reamping audio interface that loads IRs....how do you not see why Helix retails for $1500 while a Pod 500X with NONE of those things is a third of the price?

Yes, its an upgrade from the POD, but its still made in China, I would venture to guess the CPU's are not significantly better than the POD, etc

Considering running ONE IR with no latency at full resolution on the HD500 is nigh impossible and Helix can run up to four IRs at full resolution with no latency, I would say it's significantly better.

i am not inspired to play my current set up..... Totally can't wait for the AX8..... Watching all the quantum vids on Youtube don't help either.... I bought a used RP500 to get me by, and it is acting up and just sounds plain bad....

FRACTAL TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!

Today was the day. My daily routine of go check the site for the manual and then come here was performed but for some reason I was SURE that the manual would be there today.... alas it wasn't. Now to do my best to put it out of my mind till tomorrow, when I come back and do the same thing.

I'm as excited as everybody else to get my hands on this! I'm holding out hope :)

Come on, buddy. We've been over this. It's a Liquid Foot-esque foot controller with LCD screens all over the place. A standalone foot controller of comparable quality is $600-$1200 (the low end being smaller with less strips, the high end being bigger with more). That's with no expression pedal. Just stomps and scribble strips.

Now add more expensive DSP chips, that huge color LCD screen, an expression pedal, a reamping audio interface that loads IRs....how do you not see why Helix retails for $1500 while a Pod 500X with NONE of those things is a third of the price?

Except its not a Liquid Foot is it?

http://bham.craigslist.org/msg/5316951593.html

Functionally, it's beyond one. A used Pod HD500 made 5 years ago is selling for $200? That's not shocking. The Axe-FX Ultra came out in 2008 for $2K. Seven years later (approximately a week ago), I had someone on TGP try to sell me one for $800.

It's the way of all gear. Even Fractal, which admittedly holds its resale value better than just about any competing brand.

This is an impossible question to answer. How do you define a pro? Someone who is signed? Someone who gigs once a week? Someone who has played Madison Square Garden?
I myself would define it broadly as someone who makes at or over 50% of their living from music in general, and over 50% of that playing guitar. It doesn't really matter how often you play or where - my definition of professional has to do with whether doing it frees you from other pursuits in making a living. I've know a number of people who were signed - a not insignificant chunk of them used fairly simple old ratty gear because that's all they could afford given you don't necessarily make much from records.

But then there's always that definition of a musician as someone who puts $20k worth of gear into a $2K car to go play a gig for $200.

And it was a rhetorical question anyway. You just seemed to blow past the joke aspect.

I myself would define it broadly as someone who makes at or over 50% of their living from music in general, and over 50% of that playing guitar. It doesn't really matter how often you play or where - my definition of professional has to do with whether doing it frees you from other pursuits in making a living. I've know a number of people who were signed - a not insignificant chunk of them used fairly simple old ratty gear because that's all they could afford given you don't necessarily make much from records.

But then there's always that definition of a musician as someone who puts $20k worth of gear into a $2K car to go play a gig for $200.

And it was a rhetorical question anyway. You just seemed to blow past the joke aspect.

lol!

I would guess using your 50% definition, the list would be made up of 90% music teachers, and 10% touring musicians. I wonder what royalty payments look like just for recorded music (not including tv ads, merchandise, etc) today? Does anyone make money on CD's\MP3's?

lol!

I would guess using your 50% definition, the list would be made up of 90% music teachers, and 10% touring musicians. I wonder what royalty payments look like just for recorded music (not including tv ads, merchandise, etc) today? Does anyone make money on CD's\MP3's?
Does it matter? If it enhances your business capabilities, or conversely makes it more pleasant to be on the job because of convenience or the fact that you like what you hear then it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the others.

In terms of making money from records, I'd say it's challenging. CD sales are pretty much down except for country, hip hop, and the biggest crossovers like Adele and Taylor Swift. I think it's possible but the people I know who do make money aggressively market themselves 24/7 and have a full suite of merch to push in addition to recorded output. T-shirts, drink sleeves, baseball hats, you name it. The skill sets required to make it in music besides playing chops aren't much different than those for panhandlers on the street at this point.

please stop.

27646883.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom