Is it a "Patch" or a "Preset"?

people say "patch" because it the good ol' analog days, you'd use patch cables to make different sounds. so this sound was this patch, that sound was that patch.

with digital, it became presets - pre-set configurations of parameters,

so they both really mean the same thing. i try to say preset, but patch comes out from time to time. preset makes more sense with a digital device.

To make things even more confusing, they are called programs in the MIDI world. Program Change (PC) messages are used to select presets on the Axe.

The term Preset is the correct use in every aspect in how it relates to a device where things are setup and waiting to be used hence the word "Pre-set". The term Patch is so Neolithic in how it relates to meaning of Preset, even then it's not really correct. it's more of a slang to the actual mening of connection or connecting.

I don't even know what I used to call them, but they're completely interchangeable for me now.

Seriously? No one has said "Presatch" by now?

...era prior to Joe Satriani jokes in 3... 2... 1...

I thought that it was called a present.

I can't count the number of times I've seen that typo. :)

"If the factory made it, it's a preset.
If I made it, it's a patch."

Plenty of room for humor in this thread... but i REALLY like this idea above.

It's actually pretty helpful to use a different word, in order to distinguish "presets" that came from the factory– and therefore are always the same for everyone– and "patches", which each of us makes up ourselves, for our own gear and tastes.

There are often posts where i can't tell which the person means, when they refer to their "preset".

"If the factory made it, it's a preset.
If I made it, it's a patch."

Plenty of room for humor in this thread... but i REALLY like this idea above.

It's actually pretty helpful to use a different word, in order to distinguish "presets" that came from the factory– and therefore are always the same for everyone– and "patches", which each of us makes up ourselves, for our own gear and tastes.

There are often posts where i can't tell which the person means, when they refer to their "preset".

So...if the factory changes the preset in an update.....will the preset then become a patch?...a factory patch maybe? ;)

Back
Top Bottom