Is FX8 going to obsolete when AX8 COMES OUT ????

These cab packs say they are for the Axe FX not the FX8 or did i miss something?

You're welcome. Cab packs are collections of Impulse Responses used with full range speakers to emulate cabinets. With a real amp, there is no cabinet to emulate. You use the actual amp cabinet. So the cab packs are not useful (or usable) with the FX8.

The AX8 has a cabinet clock which can use Impulse Responses (IRs) to simulate cabinets.

Watching that Amp Show demo and reading some of the posts, my understanding was that there would be the same types of effects, but fewer versions of each from which to choose.

I think that's a misinterpretation of Joe's commentary on a video from the amp show. I'm under the impression that there will be near effect parity between FX8 and AX8, except you'll add amp/cab and a few more grid-related blocks (mixer, for example), and you'll lose the Relay block. The types of effects within each block will be the same across all devices, because blocks can be exchanged between them.

The number of instances of each block is also an unknown, and it's also assumed that it will be similar to the FX8 offering.

I think that's a misinterpretation of Joe's commentary on a video from the amp show. I'm under the impression that there will be near effect parity between FX8 and AX8, except you'll add amp/cab and a few more grid-related blocks (mixer, for example), and you'll lose the Relay block. The types of effects within each block will be the same across all devices, because blocks can be exchanged between them.

The number of instances of each block is also an unknown, and it's also assumed that it will be similar to the FX8 offering.

I hope that's the case. Really wish someone from Fractal would clarify that. Joe's statement from that Amp Show video confused me. He said:

"A lot of the effects you have one type of the effect. There are some that we've doubled up on, like delays and drives...the common stuff."

It's pretty simple. Some blocks will have more than one instance of, some others will be limited to a single instance.

For example (and I'm not saying that the blocks I use in the examples are like that, it's just an example) there might be only one phaser block or one flanger block but there might be 2 drive blocks or 2 delay blocks.

As the blocks will be basically the same no matter which model you have (Axe FX, FX8, AX8), all the variations should be available in each block. The only limiting factor here is how many INSTANCES of each block. Could be 4, 2, 1, or none.

Does that clarify it?

At some point in the near future we'll have a rundown of what blocks are available in the AX8 and then all questions will be answered.

I think (hope?) that "type" used in this context really meant "instance (per preset)." I'm sure it was a hectic day, I won't hold it against him. ;-)

As a soon-to-be (and excited) FX8 owner, I will share my theory...

I think AxeFXII runs two processors--one DSP handles amp and cab sims, the other handles effects. FX8 is basically the effects DSP on it's own, plus the foot control and amp integration features. Owing to similar price points between AX8 and FX8, I would guess that AX8 is running similar or equivalent hardware. It seems to be an "AxeFX Lite" that borrows design cues, hardware development, and the floorboard form factor from FX8. If so, the amp and cab sims will take up a good chunk of the single DSP's throughput and so AX8 will presumably have less available processing for effects. I assume AX8 will either allow fewer simultaneous effects, or omit some of the more processor-intensive effects, or both.

I would hesitate to purchase an AX8 thinking you're getting an FX8 plus amp sims.

AX8 has two processors. As someone else stated recently, there seems to be a lot of speculation posts lately that are easily refuted by just doing a little forum reading, manual reading etc. Not knocking anybody as it doesn't necessarily bother me, but it might trip up new people reading speculations pulled from thin air. Another words, as is always good in music, more listening (reading) and less talking. The Ax8 has been well explained in these forums, as well as other aspects of fractal products. Generally the Fractal forums have had a pretty educated audience who RTFM and research before making stuff up off the top of their heads. The resources between the forums, and manuals, and WIKI can clear up many misconceptions.

Well, RTFM method only works when a manual exists and is available. ;)

Chris--thanks for the link, and great compilation of info... actually think I skimmed that post when researching FX8.

Re-reading I do see Cliff's reference to the use of two DSPs, thanks for correcting my purely speculative post Audio. Back on topic though, I think Cliff's discussion of design optimization of FX8 for 4CM clearly indicates why it won't be obsoleted.

Back
Top Bottom