Is Dephase ever going to make it to AX8?

ZenRigs Man

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey there!

Just a quickie. Getting into my AX8 (and, as expected, loving it), but noticed that the new Dephase function for the IR is not available on the AX8 and wondering if this was a permanent thing due to hardware limitations or if it's going to come along at some point?

Thanks,
Sukh

I hope it does!! It makes a big difference! Either make it to the AX8 or embed it to cablab making possible to save a new cab with dephase built in already.

I suspect it won't be added. Cliff has said before it really works those processors. He has pointed it it will be in cablab. Like most people I like most people prob miss global blocks the most

I think part of the reason it's not maybe necessary or high up on the priority list, is because its function is to help achieve more of the amp-in-the-room sound (feel?). When playing live, that's significantly less of a requirement than when practicing/playing at home, and the AX8 is billed as a gigging musician's version of the Axe FX + controller.

Eh, I'm just throwing that out there. I do like using it, and would probably use it live.

I believe I remember that it's CPU intensive.

The CPU is the issue. Dephase is just as useful at a gig as it is at home.

Just another example of where compromises had to be made to get this into a lower price point and into a floor unit format with less powerful processors that do not require a fan.

But applying the computation is very CPU intensive. In the first release, the AxeFX II sputtered and spit while the control was adjusted. In a subsiqient release, he was able to smooth that out.

Regardless, my main point is that it is definitely applicable in a live setting and not just for home playing. That would not be the reason it was left out.

I would love to see it added to the AX8 if technically possible. Hopefully someone from FAS will read this and comment as to why it was left out.

They left all sorts of stuff left off. I think if they start explaining why something is left out folks will want a reason for everything left out.

I liked it too (de-phase), but in the latest Axe II betas it's less needed as there is more clarity from the modeling. Which should be making way to the AX8. soon?

CPU. The reason is always CPU. There aren't as many cycles to go around on the AX8.
do you know why dephase requires more CPU?

in my simple mind, an IR is just a filter and I imagine dephase as something that changes that filter. i could very well be wrong since obviously i have no idea how this is implemented, but seems to me that when the dephase is set, the IR could be loaded into memory and altered by the dephase algorithm. then that altered version is used in place of the IR. that would explain why it originally had a lag when changing the dephase value. then possibly Cliff was able to increase the performance of the algorithm that changes the IR so there was less lag.

so in my imagination, the only cpu increase would be while the dephase is loading the IR and altering it?

if I'm incorrect and the dephase requires the IR to be changed dynamically as the signal is processed or it is an additional filter after the IR that is CPU intensive then it would make sense that it was left out do to CPU restrictions.

Not enough CPU in the AX8, but since it will be implemented into Cab Lab at some point in time, it won't miss out as you can load in IRs with Dephase applied.

oh well, that's part of the compromise with the AX8. It was always meant to be a lower cost alternative with the main design goal to deliver the Fractal sound. It was always going to be a step down (depending on what your needs are) compared to the Axe Fx.

It seems people are hoping the AX8 would morph into the Axe Fx.

Back
Top Bottom