IR recommendations

evh_slash

I don't really gel much with the stock IR's on the Ax II and I'm a bit lost when it comes to external IR's .
Does anybody know who does the best / most convincing IRs / cab sims ?? I usually use my Axe FX for effects only so I'm not very clever when it comes to this stuff...

Last edited:
The best IRs? Easy!!!! IRs from Europe are the best! Valhallir.at and cabir.eu.... :))))

Oh did I told you, I am a member of both teams? ;)

Visit valhallir.at. There is a free teaser cab you cannot do anything wrong. But I think you have try out many IRs to find that bests for you! There are so many great IRs out in the world to get very different sounds. Bur every IR-pack will inspire you in a different way than me. You have to try out. But for sure I will use mainly our IRs by valhallir and cabir.eu! :)

It's all a matter of taste. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I don't think anyone can really help you but trying them out yourself. The problem is that it's not cheap to try them all out. I just picked the best two of the stock IR's and be done with it. I'd rather play and write music then go down that rabbit hole.

I'd suggest starting with some free IRs to see if you actually prefer 3rd party IRs over the stock ones. Here's a couple that got me started from Red Wirez and Ownhammer. I tried the free Vintage 30 IR from Celestion but was not overwhelmed by it, might give it a shot though. I eventually bought Ownhammer's California Duo and really haven't needed much else.
https://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp
https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=181&products_id=411

There's also some free ones floating around the forum, my personal favorite being the WGS Retro 30 - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wgs-retro-30-free-ir.128249/#post-1523673.

Fractal offered a free cab pack here - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-gift-from-fractal-audio-free-cab-pack.133595/#post-1579362

Lots of options to try before you buy but if you're just looking for recommendations, Ownhammer has been the one that I prefer over all that I've heard and tried.

I’ve bought a few packs and like the feel of the OwnHammer ones best ... their V30s (heavy hitters pack I think) and their Greenbacks are spot on for my tastes - they sound most like my own cabs to me.

I got the heavy Hitter collection I from Ownhammer and copied all the OH1 mixes for all the different speaker combos into the AXE and I feel I got everything....my favourite is the EVH and V30 in the marshall

As many said before, it is more like taste matter. I'd recommend going to Fractal's cab shop or Ownhammer and buying cabs that fit your music taste - they're not that expensive! :)

Basicly it's a question of taste, that's right. In my opinion the best IR's are really the ones from Europe because they behave and feel like playing a real cabinet with real speakers

www.valhallir.at / www.cabir.eu

Apart from that, there are some nice York Audio or MLsoundlab IR's out there. All the rest that I checked out were garbage.

Fortunately, an IR pack is relatively inexpensive to buy (if you only buy one :)) and try. the downside is they can be huuuge and take a lot of time to go through. As @JoKeR III stated, I also found it helpful to use free demos and/or smaller packs to start, just to get an idea of what general direction I liked, then invested when I found what I was looking for.

I'm currently using mostly Ownhammer (5153 and Bass Packs) and ML Sound Labs (Greatest Hits pack). I own several other packs, but these have suited my needs very well.

I really like the Ownhammer cabs. My experience is that you get 100 different IRs, different mics, different eq, etc. You pick the one you like. So many different sounds in one package. Not much money.

Just takes time to try them all.

I like the ownhammer stuff but i get easily overwhelmed lol

I've been loving Mikko's IR's a lot. He's free "best IR I'm the world" is one of my favorite. Does anyone know fractal does their cab pack sales? I know they do one for Black Friday but curious if there's any potential one coming up. I'd like to pick up the greatest hits

Back
Top Bottom