WGS Retro 30 Free IR

Chronos

Experienced
As a typical Celestion fan I've always gone straight for Vintage 30's and sometimes greenbacks to play through. WGS caught my attention a few years ago however, and I thought it could be fun to try them out seeing as the entry fee for a single speaker is quite affordable. I must admit I have fallen quite in love with their Retro 30 speaker since then. Here's an impulse I spent just a little time on while playing around. Made with an SM57 and a Heil PR30, and speaker is loaded in a 2x12.

I'd really like any sort of feedback you can give me even if you're just telling me it's crap, and include why it sucks :)

Editing OP to add in a little sample of how the impulse sounds. Used a Mesa Mark IV for the clip as the speaker does seem to work well with Mesa amps. Also works well for low gain or clean tones even such as with the Hook amps. Playing is not my own

Edit 2: Added a second IR file in the downloadable folder. Same microphones and their positions from before, but slightly altered mix as well as time alignment giving it a bit more zing

Attachments

• WGS Retro 30 Mix.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:
Hi

Thats really great
Actually you make me think wether i should be the real ones as I still use ( odd here I know) my tube amps ( Mark V) as well

i like it! good ears, the mix is excellent. I'm trying it out with the Hook 3A + LP (PAF's) then kick on the Bender fuzz with neck pup, oh yeah. Thanks!!

Thank you everyone, it is very much appreciated to have your feedback.

I find it very intriguing also that some of you mentioned it working well with Mesa, and I have always felt this speaker does just that. On top of that brianv4 mentioning the Hook amp which I've found I can just whip out that amp model with default settings and jam. Very cool to hear other people finding it works similarly and choosing amps that I use with this speaker/cab...I'm kinda blown away by that. Friedman BE model I especially like with this cab and I also leave it on the stock settings

Added sample track in the OP for people to hear a little bit of how the impulse sounds with Mesa high gain if they haven't tried it. Hope to continue hearing back from people who do give it a try

Last edited:
I hadn't considered the Friedman models but yeah, I imagine this IR working very well. I'll check it out when I get my rig back in the studio Monday. Thanks again!

Hi Chronos
Tried it yesterday and as mentioned before by others, it's a really well balanced IR which works with any amp you throw at it, for me anyway, well done and thx for sharing
Cheers

I have some Zilla cabs, some of them loaded with WGS Retro, you're IR is pretty close to the original one!
Great job!

I'd hope it sounds like your Zilla! It wasn't mentioned in my original post, but the 2x12 used for this was a Zilla Fatboy

I finally got around to trying this out this week and I'm really impressed! I'm recording guitar parts remotely for a friend's album, and the patches I built for it are mostly using this IR. I'm pairing it with the Captain Hook models and they sound great! It might even eclipse my main gigging patch, based on a Fender Deluxe and matching IR.

I finally got around to trying this out this week and I'm really impressed! I'm recording guitar parts remotely for a friend's album, and the patches I built for it are mostly using this IR. I'm pairing it with the Captain Hook models and they sound great! It might even eclipse my main gigging patch, based on a Fender Deluxe and matching IR.

Thank you, I really appreciated hearing this. I've been motivated now to upload an alternate mix of the original IR that I've been using, and personally consider to be even better due to having a bit more of an open sounding top end that I like. The OP has been edited to reflect that

I finally found the time to try this out. Rates at my top 20 goto IR's now. superb balance and tone, at least for my rig. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom