Intelligent noise gate question

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
I tried switching from the classic to intelligent noise gate last night. When I use the classic noise gate the hiss is cut off shortly after the note dies off. When I switched to the intelligent noise gate it seems the hiss continued for a longer time after the note dies off. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you have to change the settings when you make the change? can someone post their settings for a high gain (I am using 5153-red) model?

I tried using intelligent and kinda felt the amp got bland maybe it was too compressed but I messed with the settings and I actually like the pvhII 6160 better. That amp is to bright and had too much gain. I tried taking the treble switch off but then it's to dull. What do u want settings for amp gate

I noticed it, also on the 5153 as it were.
I raised my threshold considerably (from about -38dB to around -21dB or so). It helped a lot, but I ended up going back to a gate block on that particular patch until I have more time to play around with it.
FWIW, the intelligent input gate did allow for a lot more useable sustain than the block on the grid, so I'll end up doing more experimenting before I write it off. Besides, the intel gate worked WONDERS on my VH4 patch.

I had the same slower cut off, I just tightened up the release until it cut off where I wanted. Other than that it's actually quite a lot better, especially with patches with both clean, and gain in them.

I can not get the input gate to (classic or intelligent mode) to work without hearing after noises. If you play something where the chords cut off quickly you hear the after noises from the input gate. I have spent all night trying to get rid of that after noise and couldn't do it. Has anyone here managed to overcome this? If so, how?

What is the correct settings for the input gate for a sound in the Joe Satriani lead sound range?
Need some help please.

I can not get the input gate to (classic or intelligent mode) to work without hearing after noises. If you play something where the chords cut off quickly you hear the after noises from the input gate. I have spent all night trying to get rid of that after noise and couldn't do it. Has anyone here managed to overcome this? If so, how?

What is the correct settings for the input gate for a sound in the Joe Satriani lead sound range?
Need some help please.

A gate can only do so much. If it turns off too quickly it will either stutter with the threshold lower or cut off unnaturally with the threshhold higher. You need to find the right balance of raising the threshold and lowering the release.

The best thing to do is find the source of the noise and reduce that. The gate is cutting the signal at the input so your noise is coming before that. Most likely something being pickup by your pickups and cable. The more you reduce that the less noticeable the noise will be.

You can also use reverb and delay to cover up the after as the reverb and delay will mask signal as the gate clamps down.

@Fractalaudio Thanks cliff, that's an extreme setting to show how the hiss is completly removed with the noisegate off, the point of inflexion should be between 6-10

Back
Top Bottom