Instrument Jack dodgy

skintone1

Inspired
Dear All,
I have had my Axe Fx II for 3 years, no problems. In the past few months the instrument jack has gone dodgy on me.
Often it doesn't pick up the full sound, like it's only a mono channel. Then when I wriggle the cable around in the jack it picks up fully as normal.
This happens with different cables and I have checked that the nut is turned tight.
Is this a job I can do myself ( opening up the axe and looking at the connections to the instr jack) ?
Any tips would be appreciated.
thanks

The instrument jack is a mono jack. If one channel cuts out, it's silent. Can you help me understand what's going on? Is it a loss of level?

Maybe some corrosion on the connector sheets has occured. Or it doesn't quite touch the surface of the cable connector anymore.
Sounds to me like the normal kind of wear that connectors suffer after several years.

You can easily fix this by yourself (make sure to contact support first, for warranty reasons, though you might not have any more warranty after 3 years anyway).

The instrument jack is a mono jack. If one channel cuts out, it's silent. Can you help me understand what's going on? Is it a loss of level?
It doesn't have to be just on/off. Corrosion or too loose connection might cause a dramatic increase of electrical resistance, resulting in a different tone.

It doesn't have to be just on/off. Corrosion or too loose connection might cause a dramatic increase of electrical resistance, resulting in a different tone.
True. I was going on the OP's comment that it sounded like losing a channel.

Three years? Do you have time machine? Axe-Fx II has only been in production for a little over two years.

On a serious note it's an easy fix. Support can send you a new board assembly. Remove the two nuts and a single screw inside and replace.

I really appreciate that the most important connection on the unit is field replaceable. I know there is a limit to how much of that sort of thing you can build into a modern product but I appreciate it. The power supply is another example.

Yes, that sounds like it. It is lower volume and different tone.
Three years? Do you have time machine? Axe-Fx II has only been in production for a little over two years.

Ha, ha, how time flies. OK I got carried away. It seems like I have used it forever

On a serious note it's an easy fix. Support can send you a new board assembly. Remove the two nuts and a single screw inside and replace.

Thanks for the reply Cliff, I will contact support and organize that.

Back
Top Bottom