Instant access to 5 knobs on front for "normal" changes on fly???

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I've wanted this for years. Playing live and to have the knobs be whatever you want on the fly to change and then auto save. I would pick say Gain, Level, Mid, Treble and Neg Feedback. You could tweak your amp simply on the fly at a gig, so the next show would be more on point. I would love this is it could happen now...or in future!

So do I. I have my II set up so that the X & Y buttons go straight to the main amp page. This would be even easier.

10 is still a pretty limited number. I can use 8 just for basic amp settings (two gains, master, level, bass, middle, treble, presence). You can cut that down by a few but it still means you only have a couple of params left for controlling some effect. I'd raise this to something like 20 because that gives you enough room for controlling amp settings and a few fx blocks comfortably.

This is based on the software I'm working on for the Axe-Fx 2 where I use a 17 knob MIDI controller to adjust Axe-Fx 2 parameters.

I don't know if the Axe 3 already does this but it should be possible to assign external controllers to any fx block parameter (vs the artificial limitations on the Axe-Fx 2). Then you could simply hook up a MIDI knob controller and bam, you have a ton of knobs for on the fly adjustment.

10 is still a pretty limited number. I can use 8 just for basic amp settings (two gains, master, level, bass, middle, treble, presence). You can cut that down by a few but it still means you only have a couple of params left for controlling some effect. I'd raise this to something like 20 because that gives you enough room for controlling amp settings and a few fx blocks comfortably.

This is based on the software I'm working on for the Axe-Fx 2 where I use a 17 knob MIDI controller to adjust Axe-Fx 2 parameters.

I don't know if the Axe 3 already does this but it should be possible to assign external controllers to any fx block parameter (vs the artificial limitations on the Axe-Fx 2). Then you could simply hook up a MIDI knob controller and bam, you have a ton of knobs for on the fly adjustment.

There are only 5 knobs and they each have a push feature....thus the "10" number. At least this is how I see it?

Actually we envisioned two rows of five controls. Thinking about it though we could have up to five pages with each page being accessed by the push knob. So that would be 50 assignable controls.

That would be really nice. For most that would mean not having to even see the grid and select a block when adjusting on the go.

Actually we envisioned two rows of five controls. Thinking about it though we could have up to five pages with each page being accessed by the push knob. So that would be 50 assignable controls.

@laxu makes a good point though - opening up all parameters (or as many as possible) to MIDI control would help a lot because there are so many controllers out there with rotary encoders and some have scribble strip type things as well. And for bonus points, adding direct support for common controller protocols like the DAWS use would be killer.

That would be fantastic.

Also, if Fractal Audio were to release a 1U row of assignable knobs as a control extension to expand on this concept, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Many moons ago I weighed in on an interface idea for instant access. My thought was it should launch a large parameter name and number when you first turn a knob. At second turn the parameter changes. After user-selectable number of seconds with no activity, the preset autosaves.

With this, a performer could make changes mid-song at a glance and return to performing without needing to interact with the unit further. With new push knobs, option to save with a push could be added.

Either way, keeping knobs and values small is not gig-friendly (for those who like to tweak mid-song or between songs).

This is a biggie for some of us..it would be rare for me to be in a position to have a FOH engineer
to manage levels and EQ and tune the PA to the room..etc. It would be a great enhancement for me to be able to just reach back and tweak
a few basics during gigs - without using menus. Five assignable params would be a GREAT start. If more came along later
then thats just a blessing!

Just wondering how this would work out during the course of a gig? You usually have no idea on stage what things sound like FOH, so what would you tweak without someone out there giving you some feedback? Would you run a looper during sound check, step out, listen, and adjust but then the hall fills up and everything is different. Just curious how these real time adjustments might be made. Maybe it's obvious and I'm just demonstrating some lack of experience here.

Just wondering how this would work out during the course of a gig? You usually have no idea on stage what things sound like FOH, so what would you tweak without someone out there giving you some feedback? Would you run a looper during sound check, step out, listen, and adjust but then the hall fills up and everything is different. Just curious how these real time adjustments might be made. Maybe it's obvious and I'm just demonstrating some lack of experience here.

Well said

It could be used to change your stage monitor sounds. For example halfway through my last show my tone start sounding really harsh to me. Probly my ears were toast but would have been nice if I could turn the highs down to output one, and not affect output two to FOH. I’m sure there will be many scenarios.

Well said
some of the time we are in an old school setting with no FOH for instruments - vocals only and small rooms..other times we have guitars via FOH, but no engineer, so I wander out front with my wirelss during sound check and sometimes during sets to check out the balance and mix

Any update on this? I was excited reading the top of the thread until I realized it was a year ago, lol.

Back
Top Bottom