Implemented Input Gain Setting

GlennO

Axe-Master
A global instrument input level adjustment could be quite useful. For example, if you're using a guitar with pickups that aren't as hot as what you usually use, you could adjust that to compensate so all your presets sound right. Or when browsing presets made by others, you could use it to compensate for differences between your pickups and the preset author's pickups.

This feature is missing from the AxeFX III (AFAIK?). The A/D input level parameter compensates for level, so it can't be used for this purpose. Maybe there is a good reason why this isn't present in the AxeFX III? If not, this could be a useful feature.

There are workarounds, including editing the presets to adjust input levels, or editing the presets to use a global input block, but it would be more convenient to have a solution that doesn't require editing presets, especially if you're browsing a large number of presets that somebody else created. Like, for example, the factory presets.

Last edited:
Change the level in the input block.

Did the Axe2 have something global? I don’t remember that. The I/O inout setting is the same as on the 3, a signal to noise ratio.

Did the Axe2 have something global? I don’t remember that. The I/O inout setting is the same as on the 3, a signal to noise ratio.
I think he's referring to Global > Amp Gain.

Damned handy feature, too. I used it to compensate for the 6 dB loss when running In1 in stereo. I could keep two guitars plugged in, and swap between them just by picking one up and rolling its volume up.

Edited to remove mention of the AxeFX II. Whether this feature was in the AxeFX II is not really relevant to this suggestion. Anyway, I can attest that it would be a very useful feature.

I think he's referring to Global > Amp Gain.
I think so.

While handy, I would personally like something that affects things at the start of the signal chain as I typically have blocks before the Amp that might benefit from seeing a higher signal.

The Input block works but not easy to change in a "simple" fashion.

Put the Input Block Level parameter in the global performance screen.

Just be aware that some scenes may switch channels of the input block. So you will have to re-enter your edit for that channel/scene..

Just be aware that some scenes may switch channels of the input block. So you will have to re-enter your edit for that channel/scene..

That might not be the convenient solution GlennO is looking for. You'd have to adjust and store every preset (that you planned to use) each time.

A global vol/pan or filter at the start of each preset is probably the best option for now.

That might not be the convenient solution GlennO is looking for. You'd have to adjust and store every preset (that you planned to use) each time.

A global vol/pan or filter at the start of each preset is probably the best option for now.
True, but convenient enough for auditioning? No changes needed to the preset itself.

The problem is that it doesn't "stick". As soon as I change presets it will change back :(

The problem is that it doesn't "stick". As soon as I change presets it will change back :(
Yep... It is what it is.:( Just thinking of a workaround with what is available. At least you can quickly, and without adding any blocks to the preset, get an idea of what it sounds like, and what is needed for your setup.. Once you determine what that value is, you could use FracTool's Batch Setter function to change the Input block 'Level' parameter value (all four channels?) in one, or a range of presets at once.

A global level parameter that modifies the level at each/all of the Input block(s) would be useful though. Maybe an OPTION to disable the volume compensation on the 'Input 1 / Instrument' trim???? The great equalizer!:D:cool:

I think people might be overlooking this is posted in the Wish List forum. I'm well aware of workarounds. I've suggested workarounds for this issue myself to others in the past. I said in the original post that I'm aware of workarounds. I described the workarounds in the original post for the specific purpose of avoiding having people post replies here that do nothing but describe workarounds. I'm not asking for workarounds. I'm suggesting a convenience feature to be added to the AxeFX to eliminate the need for workarounds. It was a great feature in the AxeFX II and I think it would be a useful addition to the AxeFX III.

Edited to remove mention of the AxeFX II. Whether this feature was in the AxeFX II is not really relevant to this suggestion. Anyway, I can attest that it would be a very useful feature.
There was such a parameter in the Axe Fx II, so you are not mistaken.

Problems with global Amp Gain in the II were that you couldn’t attach a modifier to it, and it operated very slowly.

Problems with global Amp Gain in the II were that you couldn’t attach a modifier to it, and it operated very slowly.

Ok. For the cases I cited in the original post, that would definitely not be a problem.

One problem for new users to the AxeFX is the factory presets may or may not be suitable for the user's guitar pickup output level. Somebody commented on Cooper's video about 10 high gain presets and how that video was a revelation since it showed the reason those presets have always sounded bad to him was because his pickup output was too low. I had the same experience with Cooper's video. I've always thought his Petrucci Rig preset sounded unimpressive. However, after watching his video, I realize now that he made that preset with a guitar with extremely high output pickups. Once I learned that I need to compensate for that, it sounds great.

Imagine if a new user could be instructed to adjust this new input gain control until they match some nominal input level. That way, when they browse the factory presets, at least the input levels would be close to what the the preset authors' were expecting when they created those presets. People will always gripe about factory presets, and there are other variables of course, but this feature would at least provide some help to get the presets to sound closer to the way they were intended to sound. As it stands currently, browsing the factory presets can be a disheartening experience.

Last edited:
I'm feeling stupid but I don't quite get how to effectively use this feature. Aside from ones ears how is this feature shown in either axe edit or on the unit if I'm trying to adjust the input to a particular level?

I'm feeling stupid but I don't quite get how to effectively use this feature. Aside from ones ears how is this feature shown in either axe edit or on the unit if I'm trying to adjust the input to a particular level?
Let's say you've got your presets dialed in for a certain guitar. Then you pick up a guitar with hotter pickups. Now your presets have to much gain. Dial back Input Gain until you have the right amount of gain again.

Back
Top Bottom