Input Clipping Thread

I went down the rabbit hole. I didn't read @Moke 's last post where he said his I/O is set at 7.5%-ish until just now. That's exactly where I ended up and I can't hear a difference in the tone or the volume. It just made the clip warning go away. So I guess I've got an unclipped signal working now, which is good. But I seriously can't hear the difference. And that's good too.

For me, the input clip meter is the big winner in this update. Dyna-Can and I aren't quite getting on just yet, but the dynamics are so much better now that I am not clipping being compressed to avoid clipping.

FYI - so far the highest output guitar I have tried is my Aristides 020, JB bridge - A/D input at 4% to avoid clipping being compressed to avoid clipping.. Playing my EBMM Albert Lee HH now.

Just feels like I have more sonic real estate to work with.

Although it is handy to have these numbers gathered up in one place, the stats are misleading because the "Output" column lists ohms, which is a measure of resistance, not of output.

In order to directly compare pickups using their ohm ratings relative to output, everything else has to be identical -- number of pickup windings, wire gauge, coil size, magnet composition, bobbins, insulation, etc. (And that's just within the pickup itself; on a guitar there is also pickup height, string gauge, and other factors affecting signal strength.)

Although it is handy to have these numbers gathered up in one place, the stats are misleading because the "Output" column lists ohms, which is a measure of resistance, not of output.

In order to directly compare pickups using their ohm ratings relative to output, everything else has to be identical -- number of pickup windings, wire gauge, coil size, magnet composition, bobbins, insulation, etc. (And that's just within the pickup itself; on a guitar there is also pickup height, string gauge, and other factors affecting signal strength.)
I am aware. It's to offer a very rough guide, to give users a starting point, and potentially showing correlations, not causations. The point was more of: "If you're using lower output pups (PAF HBs) set your Input Sensitivity around x.x%. If higher output pups, set around y.y%"

I wasn't talking specifically about the axe fx input, 1 dB gives a good bit of margin for sure, even though ISP on transients could exceed that in some cases.

PS: I'm not even sure if ISP really matter when going from analog to digital, probably it's more important the other way around
Doesn't matter on analog to digital. Does matter the other way.

Bridge Pickups I've got in my arsenal:
  • Duncan JB
  • Duncen Pegasus
  • Duncan Distortion
  • Duncan Dimebucker
  • EMG 81
  • BKP Aftermath
  • Fluence Modern Ceramic
  • Fluence Open Core Classic

I'd have though the Fluence Modern or the Dimebucker would be the hottest of the bunch, but it's definitely the JB by a good margin. I had to bring Input 1 AD down to 7% to stop clipping, and I still can get it to clip on the JB at 5% if I crank on the strings (definitely harder than I'd ever play).

Last edited:
Bridge Pickups I've got in my arsenal:
  • Duncan JB
  • Duncen Pegasus
  • Duncan Distortion
  • Duncan Dimebucker
  • EMG 81
  • BKP Aftermath
  • Fluence Modern Ceramic
  • Fluence Open Core Classic

I'd have though the Fluence Modern or the Dimebucker would be the hottest of the bunch, but it's definitely the JB by a good margin. I had to bring Input 1 AD down to 7% to stop clipping, and I still can get it to clip on the JB at 5% if I crank on the strings (definitely harder than I'd ever play).
Do you hear any difference in the tone once you've dropped the AD down? I don't. And it's not any quieter. My guess is that it's a cleaner signal now.

But my old presets still sound great with the AD at 50%, telling my I'm clipping. My ears don't care...lol.

Do you hear any difference in the tone once you've dropped the AD down? I don't. And it's not any quieter. My guess is that it's a cleaner signal now.

But my old presets still sound great with the AD at 50%, telling my I'm clipping. My ears don't care...lol.
If you wanna hear it at the extreme, send it to 100% on a clean scene, switch to distortion, and then dial it back to where you landed earlier.

Thanks for the reference (appreciated) - the averages section seems to fall in line with my experience - A single setting of 25% works for all my 5 guitars from Fender Strat (8.0) to Carvin dc127 (13.0) (glad I don't have to switch the value between guitars).

Last edited:

Only once I get down to like 4% or lower, I hear the gain drop off sharply. But literally no difference between 7% and like 50%

The clipping message in annoying. Ive always kept mine at default 50%, never really noticed any issues, dialed in some amazing tones both clean and dirty, it would tickle the red once in a while. Never heard anything "clip[ping" live, with FRFR or amp/cab set up, or in recordings. Now I get the message unless I drop to 5 or 6%. Cleaner signal? I dunno, but there definitely seems to be a little less juice in my tone when I go that low. On my FM9 and FM3 I left at default and it sounds awesome!! Just my input on this…not that anyone cares.

Just turn down the Input Sensitivity until the message goes away. If you feel the signal is then too weak, bump up the Input Gain a little to compensate. Done.

Edit: BTW for the spreadsheet above, I've lowered mine from 15 to Lucky 13 as I was still getting the pop up once in a while on hard hits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom