Input clipping on every input pad setting

codyraptor

Inspired
Hey all...curious if anyone else has seen this. My input is clipping no matter what pad setting I put on the input 1. By clipping..not just tickling the red...but the actual meter is clipping and I can hear a click sound when it happens. The output is not clipping..not even close to it..but the input is extremely hot. Suggestions? Also..fyi..I'm using SSH Suhr guitar and this only happens on the H position.

Thanks!

+18 would be the setting allowing the most input. If you set it there, is it any better than a setting of 0?

What specific humbucker pickup is in your guitar? Is there a boost of any sort in the guitar itself?

+18 would be the setting allowing the most input. If you set it there, is it any better than a setting of 0?

What specific humbucker pickup is in your guitar? Is there a boost of any sort in the guitar itself?

Chris,

Are you sure about that? I thought the pad would "decrease" the signal.

Manual:

"INPUT 1 [INSTRUMENT] LEVELS

The AX8 comes ready-to-use for the typical guitar with passive pickups. Connect a guitar to INPUT 1. Choose your loudest pickup setting and set all the guitar controls to “wide open.” Play loud, open chords to push the levels as you watch the IN 1 [INSTRUMENT] meter LEDs. It’s OK to tickle the red LED once in a while, but if you push too hard, the input will clip and you’ll need to pad the input as follows:

• Press SETUP followed by footswitch 2 for the “I/O” menu. It should open to the “LEVELS“ page.
  • Turn E/NAV to select INSTRUMENT INPUT PAD. Turn the “A” knob to Increase this setting beyond

6dB, 12dB or 18dB. Be aware that as you increase this PAD setting you also increase the noise floor, so set it as low as possible. Conversely, if you can set this to 0dB for a guitar with quiet output, you’ll get even better signal-to-noise performance. "

yes. a pad setting of 18 allows the most amount of input from your guitar.

but why in the manual says that if your guitar is clipping (too hot), to PAD it using this setting? and why say that conversely a guitar with LOW output would be better at the 0db)...

I am confused then...

A pad is a reduction in volume.

If your guitar is too loud, you would want to reduce its volume.

You reduce its volume by Increasing the pad value.

So the questions remains - do the Input meters have less red when you are set to 18 vs the other lower pad settings?

A pad is a reduction in volume.

If your guitar is too loud, you would want to reduce its volume.

You reduce its volume by Increasing the pad value.

So the questions remains - do the Input meters have less red when you are set to 18 vs the other lower pad settings?

I GET IT NOW!!! :)

I understood by your original statement that 18db allowed more volume, or in my head, made it louder. I see now that 18db decrease the "perceived output" of the AX8 allowing the guitar to be hotter/louder. Inverse is the 0db.

I still think that the AX8 should not have a PAD but a way to control the input level, like with the axe-fx.

Thank you for the clarification Chris!

even it's wrong, the pad should be a negative value, as a audio engineer I get what a pad is and why adding 18 DB will reduce the input volume but for a non-pro user, its misleading.

maybe in 2.0 we can have already paded input and just have a gain increase knobs?

Hey Chris...the input meter doesn't seem to change on any pad setting. The him bicker is a standard suhr humbucker with no boost.

even it's wrong, the pad should be a negative value, as a audio engineer I get what a pad is and why adding 18 DB will reduce the input volume but for a non-pro user, its misleading.

maybe in 2.0 we can have already paded input and just have a gain increase knobs?
Adding pad, increases your noise floor. This is why you use it only when necessary.

I did get confused with it. I connected my guitar and, without looking at the manual, looked to set the input level, like with the axe-fx. I found the pad and saw +db numbers, that although I am familiar with a pad's function, made me think that the positive db's would increase the guitar level.... But it wasn't. Went to the manual, and I understood that the higher db pad, the highest impact on input signal.

I still think that they should rename this settings from 0db, 6db, 12db, and 18db to none, low, medium, high. The positive db numbers can be misleading.

Pads specify insertion loss which is a positive quantity.

Soo...anyways. Anyone got any ideas? Got a gig tonight and would like to use it if possible. By the way...I set the axe fx at 50% input if that means anything.

If you roll the volume down on the guitar, does anything change? I'm really surprised engaging a 18dB pad doesn't help at all. Have you tried another guitar?

If you roll the volume down on the guitar, does anything change? I'm really surprised engaging a 18dB pad doesn't help at all. Have you tried another guitar?

+1

Which specific Suhr humbucker do you have on the bridge? Are you running anything between the guitar and the AX8 instrument input?

Pads specify insertion loss which is a positive quantity.

I get it but like I said for a "non audio, weekend guitar player" how like to make noise in his garage and have a reason to drink beer with his friend, I get the fact that he don't get it. maybe, I said MAYBE, an other therm could be used for the input trim.

Back
Top Bottom