Inexpensive active full range monitors?

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I've been using my Axe-Fx + ART SLA-2 + 2x12 V30 cab and it's OK. I'm 100% happy with my recording tones but the ART+CAB combo is a bit lifeless compared to my recorded tones.

Well today I had to run my Axe through some basic crappy t.box speakers and holy sh*t it sounded good. We had a Marshall halfstack in the room and I dialed in the same settings and used my favorite Mesa IR and the sound was 85% alike. I compared the feel and it was the same with the real halfstack and the Axe. I started thinking how the Axe would sound with some inexpensive FR speakers like: http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_eurolive_b212d.htm or http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_b_208d_white.htm

Do any of you have experience with these two together or something in the same price range? I like the idea of carrying my guitar rig all at once. The ART weighs like hell.

Hallo Clark,

I found the LD Systems Mon121-A. They are coaxial 2way speakers in a very tough road-prove wedge-design, and cause of the coax mounted Hi-Driver they sound very "warm" and, most important - they ROCK. They are not really cheapo's but
you get them to a price about € 280 - 300 per piece. I have two of them because I also run the vocals and a bit of my bass-player's signal. The LD's are very dry sounding and they really have a good midrange.

The only thing to take care about is - to get an Axe-signal sounding well on these wedges is easy - but don't create your sound on them alone. Try to make the sound on a bigger system to get shure you won't mix too much bass in it - that was my fault and on my first two livegigs with the axe. I had a PA Sound I wasn't satisfied with - although the monitor sound & feeling was really awesome. If the sound is good on your studio pref. monitors or on a PA with speakers about 15" to 18", you will LOVE everything that comes out of the LD's. They just seem to cut the ultra deeps and the sizzling Treble nobody needs on a guitar sound.

For me it a question of "bang for the buck" cause I couldn't afford the money for FBT's, QSC's ore RCF's (would have been my favourite choice, if there had been more budget) IMO forget the db Opera Series (my own opinion - I have the Opera 415 biamp active series and the sound is really not compareable to the 12" LD's.

Cheers from "Falco-Land"
Andy
www.funkstation.at

I rehearsed with a band recently that the keyboard player was playing through a Behringer powered FR speaker (212). It sounded good with the keys. I told him next time we get together I would like to try my Ultra through it. I'll report back when that happens.

It's been my experience that if you put inexpensive tires on a performance car, though they will work you won't like the results.

You can pick up a used QSC HPR for $500 at GC....probably cheaper if you find one on Craigs List.
If my budget was under 1k....that would hands down be my choice (and it's much less than 1k used).
1k or greater....Verve.

This is just for monitoring my tone live. Doesn't have to be hifi or anything. Just so I heard myself. The ART SLA-2 seems to work well at the rehearsal space.

dB Opera M12-4 plus. Gets good reviews by Axe users.

What's your price range?

As suggested by others, DB and FBT are excellent solutions, but if you live in the U.S. - you're paying 1k...and there are none on the used market.
QSC HPR you CAN find on the used market....but is $500 out of your price range?
I've tried the Behringer powered series as mains before and I would say spend the extra few bucks on a used QSC and you'll be very thankful you did.

I've got KRK Rokit 5s here at home and I do my mixed with them and they sure rock. I have a chance to try those cheapos so I'll give them a shot but if they suck then I must start saving up some cash for really good FRFRs. Well I used to have the Atomic Reactor and I didn't like that so... must see.

If he played on t.box, those are Germany's Thomann store brand. Good chance nobody would take these with them to another hemisphere, so Clark probably resides in Europe, more specifically probably Northern Europe.

And I got the impression he's looking for stage monitors, not studio. I bet the KRK's won't do the mean thing next to a drummer.

I'm liking the dB Opera M12-4+. Won't blow you off the stage, but Atomics are even less powerful. Proel came out with a new coax stage monitor. The Wharfedale's get nice talk-up.

For me the FRFR's problem is volume. I had the Reactor thing and couldn't hear myself over one drummer and another guitarist. 250W RMS in this gear is not comparable to a guitar cab's 250W RMS since the guitar cab will be three times as loud with a tube amp... well that's my experience.

This monitor is for my other band where I'm the only guitarist and we play quite low volume.

Hi Clark,

here's again my suggestion - try the LD Systems Mon121a,

Thomann is also selling them,

http://www.thomann.de/at/ld_systems_mon_121a.htm

they are really WAY LOUD . On my last gig I played the complete Guitars/Vocals & Bass over my two Mon121a's, although the Drumset was really loud onstage, I had the perfect monitor sound - and even my bassplayer (6 String longscal Warwick) was excited about the quality and volume of the signal. If you just want to use them as your personal guitar wedge - you can kill everything and everybody onstage with them.

I made my experience with Behringers, Mackie's and I even own db Opera's - they all sound a bit "phasy" to me. The LD's sound very "dry" .

At least I would take a look at 12", cause, no matter how good a 10" or a 15" Monitor sounds, guitars will always kick most ass over 12" Speakers.

Cheers,
Andy
www.funkstation.at

I'm just using a single active full range monitor. A small white Behringer. (not flat response) Itt's enough volume so that I hear myself live/in rehearsals. I wouldn't compliment the sound quality. That's not why I got it... it's just so that I hear myself through earplugs.

funkstation777 said:
here's again my suggestion - try the LD Systems Mon121a,

I just got one of these, sounds really good (I'd like to compare to a Verve 12ma and QSC K10 if I can).

BUT: the phase seems to be inverted compared to all my other PA equipment, the bass and image is broken when I use it in combination with other speakers... have you checked that with your 121a?

I thought I would try a Behringer B212D a few months ago. I really wasn't expecting much but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. For just monitoring on stage in a live situation it has worked out fine (playing pretty much straight forward rock).

I also use KRK Rokit 5s and with a bit of tweaking on the back of the 212d it translates pretty good. I do find I need to roll off a bit of bass.

I'm sure there is better out there and I've been curious to try a qsc or a yorkville equivalent but for now it works out pretty good. It sure is nice and portable and volume has never been a problem.

Yeah but Behringer sure has a lot of bang for the buck. This BEHRINGER B210D is a hell of a lot louder than an Atomic Reactor! I can't A/B them now but I remember hating how the Reactor failed time and time again and this little WHITE box has never failed me. Like you said I too roll off the bass to about 9 o'clock and I also own Rokit's which I love and those do sound VERY alike in tone. The highest high end ofcourse isn't the same but the overall tone is there.

Back
Top Bottom