Incoming NGD: PRS CU24

Okay, the guitar arrived today.

I am surprised at how high the action was with the factory setup. I measured 7/64ths inches action on the 24th fret of the low E and 6/64th inches on the high E string. I have my other guitars (four Suhrs and one PRS SC245) set up with an action of 4/64th inches at the 24th fret on the low E and 3/64th inches on the high E. Those are the Suhr factory setup specifications. On my Suhrs there is room to go up or down from that point.

I thought the high action was not going to be an issue since I do my own setups regularly. Then I realized that the low E and high E saddles were already flush with the bridge plate. There was no room left to adjust the action downward. My only option was to lower the bridge fulcrum screws to lower the action. After making the adjustments necessary (fulcrum screws, trem claw, relief) I now have the action close to where I like it (4/64th on the low and high E strings measured at the 24th fret).

The problem:
the bridge is now almost decked to the body substantially limiting the range of the tremolo. There is a bit of room to pull up still, but just a tiny bit. Does this seem correct to you? It seems like the neck to body angle may be incorrect, but perhaps my setup preferences are just unreasonable for a PRS custom 24.

I have three days to decide if I want to keep the guitar, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I am surprised at how high the action was with the factory setup. I measured 7/64ths inches action on the 24th fret of the low E and 6/64th inches on the high E string.
It would have never left the factory that way. It likely has too much relief due to transportation.

I am surprised at how high the action was with the factory setup. I measured 7/64ths inches action on the 24th fret of the low E and 6/64th inches on the high E string. I have my other guitars (four Suhrs and one PRS SC245) set up with an action of 4/64th inches at the 24th fret on the low E and 3/64th inches on the high E. Those are the Suhr factory setup specifications. On my Suhrs there is room to go up or down from that point.

I thought the high action was not going to be an issue since I do my own setups regularly. Then I realized that the low E and high E saddles were already flush with the bridge plate. There was no room left to adjust the action downward. My only option was to lower the bridge fulcrum screws to lower the action. After making the adjustments necessary (fulcrum screws, trem claw, relief) I now have the action close to where I like it (4/64th on the low and high E strings measured at the 24th fret).

The problem: the bridge is now almost decked to the body substantially limiting the range of the tremolo. There is a bit of room to pull up still, but just a tiny bit. Does this seem correct to you? It seems like the neck to body angle may be incorrect, but perhaps my setup preferences are just unreasonable for a PRS custom 24.

I have three days to decide if I want to keep the guitar, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I would return for something that you'd be happier about with no limitations! Especially for what you pay for it. Also, find out why that issue exists in the first place, so they know what you want.

The problem: the bridge is now almost decked to the body substantially limiting the range of the tremolo. There is a bit of room to pull up still, but just a tiny bit. Does this seem correct to you? It seems like the neck to body angle may be incorrect, but perhaps my setup preferences are just unreasonable for a PRS custom 24.

Hopefully you loosened the strings and springs before turning the screws that the bridge pivots on. Doing that under tension is not good for the knife-edges it pivots on....

Hopefully you loosened the strings and springs before turning the screws that the bridge pivots on. Doing that under tension is not good for the knife-edges it pivots on....
Yes. I detuned the strings to slack before adjusting the pivot screws. I was aware that you can damage them if adjusted under tension.

If you have a set of feeler gauges, that is about 5-10 thousandths of an inch, BTW....
I use the Stew Mac neck relief gauge (calibrated against a straight edge) to make my relief measurements and the LMI digital string height gauge for action measurements. I'm particular about setups and I like repeatability of measurements.

https://www.lmii.com/measuring-tools/2869-lmi-digital-string-height-gauge.html

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...for-necks-and-fingerboards/neck-relief-gauge/

That sucks. :( I just sent back a Charvel this week after being super stoked to get it, because
it was an atrociously built guitar with multiple issues.

I figure other than a change of strings, and some minour tweaks, I should ONLY have to do
the very least to dial a new guitar into my liking.

Do you know how long the store that you purchased it from had it on their floor???

That sucks. :( I just sent back a Charvel this week after being super stoked to get it, because
it was an atrociously built guitar with multiple issues.

I figure other than a change of strings, and some minour tweaks, I should ONLY have to do
the very least to dial a new guitar into my liking.

Do you know how long the store that you purchased it from had it on their floor???

That’s a bummer. It was made in 2021, so less than a year or so.

I only ask, because if a guitar is on the floor for a bit and no one buys it there is
usually a reason for that.

Sorry about the bummer of a NGD. :(

Back
Top Bottom